• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Manually transporting reluctant bunny problems

loothi

New Kit
Hi there,

Looking for some behavoural/training tips.

My house rabbit french lop lives in my bedroom, although he wanders on to the landing, he won't try the stairs.

This is fine as it allows me to be lazy with cabling in other parts of the house, but he enjoys being downstairs, where the people are in the evening. I sometimes chase him into his cat transporter to carry downstairs, but this is a drawn out and painful proceedure for both of us. He loves it downstairs, so I'd like to be able to move him up and down more often.

Should I

a) teach him to climb stairs??
b) somehow retrain him to step politely into his cat transporter
c) somehow teach him to be picked up (i fully appreciate being picked up does not suit, and am reluctant to begin this long, long process..)

Any ideas gratefully received!
~loothi

I think b would be the most sensible. have you tried putting his fav treats in there to entice him in. once he realises that it leads to fun downstairs, you will soon not need the treats, as the treat with be being downstairs

A few members have successfully clicker trained their rabbits to jump into a carrier on command...might be worth looking into :)

Does he ever show any interest in the stairs when he's at the bottom? Bunnies often find it easier to go up than down so you may be able to help him get his confidence at heading upwards, and then once he's used to that and understands the concept, he might try going down them on his own at a later time.

I agree with Alison about then being happier goin up stairs rather than down. Think it does depend on the individual bunny too. Of my two, Lola is fine with stairs and rushes up and down them now but Teddy has still never ventured upstairs. Lola figured out how to go up them all on her own one day. It took her a long time to work out she come down herself though so I had to carry her down. Perhaps you could leave a few pellet on the bottom few steps and leave him at the bottom to see if he can figure it out?

Charlie used to go up and down stairs with no problem at all until he got head tilt then he lost his confidence, so now we have to put him in his box to carry him up and down so he can be with us during the evening. He has just got used to us saying 'Bedtime Charlie', and he jumps into his box cos he knows that when he gets up to his room, there's always a treat waiting for him!! Blackmail I know, but it works!! LOL

Back