• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for grooming please

vickyplum

Warren Scout
My bunny is really hairy and she currently has poo and hay stuch to her and Im thinkin she needs a bath and a cut and blow dry lol. Hows the best way to do this she is a new bun and isnt keen on being picked up but she does trust us. PLease help i feel sorry for her shes a bit dirty at the mo!

Thanks vicky x

hi

Bathing buns should be a last resort. It damages their skin and you must ensure all soap is out or leads to skin problems. Also it is very distressing.
Best idea is to just cut away the messy bits (dont worry what it looks like) and to just give good brush if pooy then use baby wipes to wash her with.
Then i'm afraid its a case of keeping on top of it brush everyday so this does not become a problem. If longhaired its essential to brush everyday maybes twice a day. If short then just check bot area everday brush couple times a week
Grooming bun is excellent for building friendship bonds and getting her used to you and handling check out ww.hoppybunnyrabbit.com for tips.

:wave: As she's a new bun I would suggest popping her along to the vets for a check over and ask if they can remove the poop for you in the first instance...it can be quite easy to accidentally cut the skin if you're not used to doing it (especially if the bun struggles at an inopportune moment) and apart from being painful it can lead to nasty infections.

Another reason I suggest popping her to the vet is that a sticky bum is not normal - regardless of whether a bun is very furry. It can be caused by problems such as dental disease, excess weight, arthritis or other spinal problems, as well as having dietary causes. It wouldn't hurt to have a good vet check to rule out any of the above and give you some advice on how to prevent a recurrence.

At least once it's been done properly once, it should be easier to keep on top of if it does take a while to get on top of the problem.

Good luck :)

my buns are extra fuzzy too. Simba especially always has dry poo and hay tangled in his fur underneath. I use a cat flea comb to comb his fur which combs the extra things out of his fur aswell as the knots. If you do it regularly your bunny will get used to it and also means each time you do it there wont be much to tidy up ;) Don't bathe your bunny as their fur takes ages to dry and it wont help with knotting.
If you want anymore info feel free to pm me and i'll see if i can help ;)

if you pin her down gently but firmish and hold her tail up with one hand she may push her botty towards you so you can tease the poo from her fur with fingers or a brush. Or if you can flip her onto her back slightly like the vet holds then, you will be able to get poo off. Another way is a mans razor side board trimmer! You gently do it bit by bit until shes clean from poo.

The soft poo may be because shes having new food to what shes used to or maybe too much fresh food. Is she having plenty of hay?

before i bought my rabbit when i was getting all the supplies i bought rabbit shampoo(some pets at home brand thing). Then after doing research i saw that its very bad to bathe them because it removes important oils from there fur. I wonder why places sell this, surely it is very misleading to people who maybe dont have access to books and internet or watever. Like maybe its just for the last resort people but new rabbit owners arent gona kno. I just asumed myself u bathe them like a dog or watever.

I also have "bunny deodorant" also ive not used it yet either because my rabbit hasnt been smelly. I wonder if that is also pretty bad for them too :/

Back