• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits that don't want to know you

touie

Wise Old Thumper
does anyone else have any? My 2 are lovely, gentle and inquisitive but if you try and stroke them they both either run away or look annoyed, both have previously been house bunnies too but ever since they've been together they haven't wanted to know me (unless I have food :roll:!!!) Sometimes i feel guilty as it seems like i give them less attention than my other animals, but they really seem to prefer to not have my attention :? :cry:

Out of 4 I have one rabbit that is interested in me other than when I have food. Milo will climb on my back , nudge me and steal my dustpan when im cleaning them out, my other 3 however arnt interested and will only let me sit and stoke them when they are eating. Dont feel guilty as they are happy that way. :D

Mine aren't bothered by me - apart from when food is involved and they suddenly can't tear themselves away from me when at the vets!!! They don't mind me going near them and they are easy to pick up though which is good. They are happy with each other and I just watch them rather than spend loads of time as they prefer it that way.

they suddenly can't tear themselves away from me when at the vets!!! .

oh yes I forgot about the vets they suddely seem to decide that my shoulder is a great place to be when there :shock: :lol: I've had many a rat treated from my shoulder too :roll:

all my bunnies are lovable except 1, the nearest thing to contact with me from her is usually if she bites me.:lol: but i love her just as much as my others.

My bun would rather run around binkying by himself than bother with me

he likes to play with my dog though :(

i feel so unloved.

haha

its great to watch though.

I think the only way round it is bribery and corruption. I practise with mine in the morning with a few pellets fed from my hand before I put their full bowls down. And they are a pain in the buttocks when I'm trying to clean them out. Frank likes to supervise from about 3 inches behind me and Dulcie sits in the shovel. :lol:

If they are outside and happy together, they're probably getting all the cuddles they need of each other, so mummy is now obsolete. ;) As long as they are not running away in terror at the sight of you and will come over, don't force yourself on them for cuddles as they're for your comfort and benefit, not theirs.

Last edited:
I think the only way round it is bribery and corruption. I practise with mine in the morning with a few pellets fed from my hand before I put their full bowls down. And they are a pain in the buttocks when I'm trying to clean them out. Frank likes to supervise from about 3 inches behind me and Dulcie sits in the shovel. :lol:

Yeah when cleaning poppet ill put his base up against the wall full of sawdust and he'll jump in it scattering sawdust everywhere then run off and hide lol.

Lottie and George would much rather stay together in their hutch/run than come out for cuddles :? Lottie used to be a house bunny but you'd never think it now :roll:

Theyre both really happy though, seem happier now they have each other, im just the Hoomin who brings the food :lol::? xXx

I'm really miffed off actually :roll:

I finally managed to get Phoebe and teddy together after two months of them fighting, am really pleased that they are now happy with each other...but Phoebe just doesn't want to know me anymore :cry:

We had a really strong bond, she's always slept in my bedroom free range, usually on the bed next to me, and she always pottered around the house during the day. Now, the pair of them spend ALL of their time under the bed in my room. I leave the door open but they rarely come out. I'm lucky if she hops up onto the bed for a cuddle once in a while. :cry:

It's lovely that they have each other, but I really miss having that bond with a bunny. :roll::oops:

Pepe & Billyboy dont want anything to do with anyone, they do come to me now when i go in with food, pepe stands with his front paws on my leg, but if i try to stroke them, they are gone like the wind lol the vet told me not to worry as they have each other, but i wouldn't know what to do if anything happened to one of them.
When i give them their wormer, Pepe bites me, i would love to give them a love but when i pick them up i can feel how scared they are, so i don't, but as long as they are happy with each other i don't mind. I just stand & watch them & tell them how much i love them, not that they care tho :lol:

Wow, I am so glad to read your post.
I have been feeling the same way. Sunny, needed a friend. We got Pumpkin, it was love at first sight.
They nudge each other now & then, but they have each other & that seems to be all that matters to them.

Sunny is more adventurous & outgoing. Pumpkin is quiet and more submissive. Having the two together almost makes them use their instincts, where they seem more like a nervous group of birds. It seems like their prey instinct was stronger together, or that Sunny was becoming more like Pumpkin. More quiet & distant.

I now have a 3rd Bun, Oreo. She is currently not spayed & I do not know if I will bond her with another bun. She can see the other two, as their cages are right next to each other.

Bernie used to hop on my bed before he bonded w/ Minnie, now he won't do it again.

And both of them before they were bonded, used to let me hold them on my bed, now, no such luck. :lol:

Buu and Scarlett arent too bothered by me, but I dont mind :lol: I like just watching them, and then its extra special when they do want a cuddle or some attention :love:

Buu doesnt even want to know me at the vets :oops: The others attach themselves to me and its a struggle to keep them on the table :lol: My rats are all looked at from my shoulder at the vets too, Reuben from inside my top a few times when he was panicking :oops:

A couple of my four really aren't bothered, which is odd given that they're litter mates and have all had the same experiences. Must be personality :lol:. Pippin will happily climb all over me, Merry is less forthcoming but will still hop up onto my lap, Whisper and Bubbles take all sorts of bribing before they'll talk to me and Bubbles doesn't even like to be stroked while eating.:cry: Working on it with treats for coming to see me, but they seem happy. They're all happy for me to be around them though. The time that I realise they love me is when I see them with someone else- even Pippin will leg it!

My house bun is the total opposite- he's single and seems to think he's human...

Back