• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metronidazole experiences please

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
I was talking to my vet yesterday about metronidazole and she is interested to hear more about its use in bunnies. So I would really appreciate it if anyone who has used it can tell me a little more - e.g. circumstances of its use, whether it helped, how long it was prescribed for, whether it was used on its own or in conjunction with other abx, how you administered it, any problems you encountered etc etc.

Elve's late Bun Maa was prescribed Metronidazole as a culture from a Retrobulbar abscess revealed anaerobes.Metronidazole is only effective on anaerobic bacteria. I believe Maa was given Metronidazole orally and the infection (post surgery) cleared up :)

I have known it to be used in cases of Snuffles and Mandibular abscesses, in conjunction with other abx (eg Septrin and Ceporex). I believe Jaypot (Ebony Eyes) has had a lot of success with a Metronidazole/Septrin combination.

I also know of it being used for a Bun with recurrent gut problems (Bloat and diarrhoea). I would say that on more than one occassion the Metronidazole saved the Buns life.

:)

Last edited:
Well Austin started his metronidazole on Monday evening and if anything it has made him worse :(

The mucus is dripping out of him and his cage is awful :cry::cry:

I will ring the vet today to see if it's worth cerrying on with the whole course.

Poor Austin, nothing will work for him. I am heartbroken for him

I have had great results with the Metronidazole/Septrin combination :D It has saved our Chewy and our Cinders - both have different things though. Chewy has really bad eyes and nose from tooth roots and it has cleared him up brilliantly - our vet said he was like a different bun:love::love: He has to stay on if for life though as each time I have taken him off it the gunk flares back up again:?

Cinders had abscesses over his body, these have now localised into two parts and are easily popped open by the vet - the gunk comes out and he is fine until it builds up agian, but we know that the combination has helped him and that is why he is still here with us:love:

Elliot is on Septrin for four weeks - he's into week two - he had a URI and it's really helped him :love::love:

Lynda from CARROT has had Kobe on the combination one for over two years and it has certainly saved his life - he has really bad abscesses of the jaw and his jaw is now paper thin in places - but he's still going and is a happy boy:love::love::love:

Poor poor Austin :cry::cry: Have you tried giving him Avipro plus on everything and making his water thicker with it? It's the only thing I ever found that helped but then again, we didn't know the cause, we just had to treat the symptoms :cry:

Gentle cuddles to Austin :love:

Well Austin started his metronidazole on Monday evening and if anything it has made him worse :(

The mucus is dripping out of him and his cage is awful :cry::cry:

I will ring the vet today to see if it's worth cerrying on with the whole course.

Poor Austin, nothing will work for him. I am heartbroken for him

Poor poor Austin :cry::cry: Have you tried giving him Avipro plus on everything and making his water thicker with it? It's the only thing I ever found that helped but then again, we didn't know the cause, we just had to treat the symptoms :cry:

Gentle cuddles to Austin :love:

Avipro was the first thing we tried, had no effect at all but I still give it to him just in the hopes.

I will pass on the cuddles, although he doesn't need gentle ones he is bright as a button at the moment and just been trying to steal crisps :lol:

Good boy Austin :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If Austin has just started on the Metronidazole I would increase the Avipro and give Fibreplex as well and give him a few days to see if that helps :D

Good boy Austin :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If Austin has just started on the Metronidazole I would increase the Avipro and give Fibreplex as well and give him a few days to see if that helps :D

Brilliant, I'll carry on for awhile longer with it then :D I really hope it works for him

Unfortunately the Metronidazole didn't help Austin, it continued to make him worse even with the Avipro and fibreplex.

It got so bad we decided to take him off it. He is now just on fibreplex and avipro but he is still hasn't improved :(

I love that little bunny so much, I just wish we could find something to help him

Unfortunately the Metronidazole didn't help Austin, it continued to make him worse even with the Avipro and fibreplex.

It got so bad we decided to take him off it. He is now just on fibreplex and avipro but he is still hasn't improved :(

I love that little bunny so much, I just wish we could find something to help him

Poor Austin :cry:

I am sorry none of the treatments have helped him :cry:

Back