• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can dogs smile?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
I think Sabre is smiling here; anyone agree?

Picture181.jpg

Any more pics of smiling dogs, anyone?

My step sister used to have a whippet who would curl her front lip up like a snarl to smile at you like a person. If my shar-pei used to do that it was a threat like it is in wolf language. A dog pulling what we as people interpret as a smiling face with the corners of the mouth turned up is actually an appeasement sign from a nervous or submissive dog. But dogs are great people watchers and some learn to 'smile' like people, especially if given positive attention for doing it. Sadly most people can't read a dog half as well as a dog can read a human.

But a proper happy dog smile that would mean what a smile does to a human (that you're happy, friendly and relaxed) is usually done with the ears relaxed and slightly pulled down/back, eyes with a gentle expression, mouth open, tongue lolling and relaxed body language. They laugh too - very similar to the above but with a distinct heavy panting noise. My TM does that usually when he's taken the pee out of me over something or if we're out on a walk and he gets to go the way he wants to after me telling him no numerous times. :lol:

I think Sabre might be laughing at you in that photo. :lol:

rocky smilesall the time, if i took a pic it would look like a snarl.

he rolls his gums up and has a big toothy grin lol! its so funny

Back