PDA

View Full Version : Concerned over Neighbours rabbit

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Next door to my mums they own two rabbits, the kids do. Every so often i go and have a nosey.

Well today i went and had a look, they had upgraded ones hutch to a Thistle Hall which impressed me, nice clean beds, PLENTY of hay and food scattered around.

I had a little nosey at them both and noticed one had something coming out of its mouth, i thought it was some hay, so i opened it up and it was its tooth!!!!!!! It must of been about an inch long...i was horrified. The rabbit was on the skinny side, it was awful.....!

I went straight round but they were out. So i posted a note, explaining the above and told her i owned buns myself and that she needed to get it to a vet etc and gave my number.

Well ive not heard anything and cant get it out of my head......
What would you do?

Im thinking of keeping checking and perhaps going to my mums during the day when there in and having a chat, or even popping round.

They cannot leave it like that, its cruel.

Am i right in thinking its tooth would need clipping? It was about an inch long!

Becky86
13-12-2008, 12:18 AM
What a shame :cry: Some people just dont realise :( Poor bunny must be in so much pain :(

Did you tresspass then? :? Or dont they mind you going to see the buns? *Imagines you climbing over a gate to get into their back garden* :lol::oops:

I think you ought to go in the day when you know theyre going to be so you can explain how serious it could be, i.e, bun will die eventually if it doesnt get to a vet :cry:

Really hope it gets sorted, let us know how you get on :(

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:20 AM
There is like a 3ft open style fence between the gardens. The buns are at the bottom, so can lean on fence if you get me.

I once cleaned them out in summer whilst they were away, whoever was looking after them wasnt doing a good job.

Ohh dont tell me about the pain. I cant get it out of my head, it was AWFUL!

Im going to go round tomorrow and see what they say..

Becky86
13-12-2008, 12:22 AM
There is like a 3ft open style fence between the gardens. The buns are at the bottom, so can lean on fence if you get me.

I once cleaned them out in summer whilst they were away, whoever was looking after them wasnt doing a good job.

Ohh dont tell me about the pain. I cant get it out of my head, it was AWFUL!

Im going to go round tomorrow and see what they say..

:( Good luck hunni. Wonder why they havent noticed :shock::roll: xXx

Bunnyaddict
13-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Yep you're right Nat his teeth need clipping at the very least. They might even need to come out depending on how bad they are - our Alfie's were like that & we had to have them removed. He'll also probably need his veg chopping really small or even grating, as well as his hay possibly cutting into small pieces.

I think I'd be tempted to go round in the day & have a general rabbit chat - they might just be ignorant & not realise :roll: They might be grateful of a bit of advice. If not, then I think I'd encourage them to give them up to a rescue if they can't take proper care of them.

I know it's hard, but you're right it's cruel to the bunny. Good luck & let us know how you go on.

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I was going to go tonight but my mum wouldnt let me :roll:
It was not nice, i have actually thought about just going and taking it, but that wouldnt be right.

Its the kids rabbits, so the kids do everything for them.

When i used to live at home i often heard "whos feeding the rabbits?" "not me i did it last night"....Sigh

Fingers crossed. I will even take this little bun just so it gets treatment.

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:30 AM
:( Good luck hunni. Wonder why they havent noticed :shock::roll: xXx

I have no idea. It is pretty nasty. The poor bun! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bunnyaddict
13-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I was going to go tonight but my mum wouldnt let me :roll:
It was not nice, i have actually thought about just going and taking it, but that wouldnt be right.

Its the kids rabbits, so the kids do everything for them.

When i used to live at home i often heard "whos feeding the rabbits?" "not me i did it last night"....Sigh

Fingers crossed. I will even take this little bun just so it gets treatment.

Oh why oh why do parents get pets for their kids & not take responsibility themselves :roll::roll::roll: Funnily enough a friend of mine did once bunnynap a rabbit she saw being neglected after she'd already spoken to the family on several occasions & nothing improved. Not that I'm suggesting that's what to do - but I know why you'd think that. Poor bun - really hope you manage to sort it, if not could you perhaps inform the RSPCA?

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:35 AM
It was EXACTLY like this

http://www.blackness-vet.co.uk/images/2006_0625fijenny0002.JPG

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Oh why oh why do parents get pets for their kids & not take responsibility themselves :roll::roll::roll: Funnily enough a friend of mine did once bunnynap a rabbit she saw being neglected after she'd already spoken to the family on several occasions & nothing improved. Not that I'm suggesting that's what to do - but I know why you'd think that. Poor bun - really hope you manage to sort it, if not could you perhaps inform the RSPCA?

I will try my best tomorrow i think, go round early morning and pop round. Just dont want them to think im been nosey, but im greatly concerned. Am i right in thinking it will need further vet treatment?

Rice
13-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Oh that poor rabbit! :( I hope the familly takes you serious and listens and does something about it!

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I need information so that i sound like i know what im talking about...

Bluesmum
13-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Oh the poor bun!! They might not realise its a problem (although they'd have to be pretty dim if you ask me :roll:)
Do you live at home? If not then maybe see if your mum could speak to them. It sounds like they care about the bunny....what with the new hutch and getting someone to look after the bun while they're away (I've heard/seen far too many people not bother :evil:) So it could just be ignorance. I'd try talking to them before you plan a bunny nap, try to do it gently too....If you alienate them then the situation could just get worse. Maybe you could offer to take the bun along to the vets yourself (they'd be paying though obviously)Or say that you'll come with them as support?
Don't put too much into the complaining kids.....kids complain about most things! I always used to moan about mucking out stables ( even though I secretly enjoyed it :roll: :oops:)
Good luck helping little bun though.

mopsmum
13-12-2008, 09:49 AM
if one tooth is growing out like that there is no telling what the others are like. they could be just as long but curling inwards, possibly into the roof of the mouth :cry:

charlie82
13-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes the rabbit needs veterinary treatment. I would be wary of just advising them that it needs 'clipping' because they might just attempt to do so themselves. It used to be common practice for vets to clip an incisor, but it shouldn't be 'clipped' as such, as clipping often shatters the root of the tooth and leaves it open to infection. The rabbit really needs to see a rabbit savvy vet to deal with the issue and to check out the molars and other incisors.

lottielouise
13-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Nat, I think these are info anyone can understand.

http://www.pethealthcare.co.uk/News/Bunny_Teeth_Can_Kill_727

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/rabbitbasics_4.html

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/File/dental.pdf - although basic, it does state that any teeth that are not normal length should be attended to by a vet.

kayj
13-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Nat, if you don't get any joy with them then you can report iot to the RSPCA as it is classed as neglect, The Rspca may give them a time limit on getting it sorted if they say they cannot afford to then the Rspca will have a couple of options for them. If you want to give me a ring then you are more than welcome:D

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Were going over today so will pop around with the OH and have a chat......

Fingers crossed...Eeeeek.

mopsmum
13-12-2008, 02:19 PM
good luck.:?

sillyrabbit
13-12-2008, 04:09 PM
I would call the RSPCA, poor bunny :(

Im sorry but there is no excuse even for someone who isn't very experienced with rabbits not to know that a tooth hanging out is wrong and needs some sort of treatment :?

Good luck x

Becky86
13-12-2008, 06:17 PM
been thinking about this all day Nat :cry: Have you been to see them yet? xXx

Bunnyaddict
13-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Hope things have gone ok for you Nat & the poor bunny is on his way to getting the treatment he needs :cry:

kayj
13-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Nat, how have you got on:D

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Sorry everyone.

Had no luck with them today, as they werent in.

My mums turned funny with me now too :? Because i mentioned reporting it....And she said it would cause trouble for them and i said no it wouldnt and i couldnt really care less! :shock:

So plan is tomorrow or monday, check on bun, if nothing been done and cant communicate report it. :)

Indiechic
13-12-2008, 10:58 PM
as much as yes you are doing the right thing by reporting it, i can see your mums point hun. she has to live there.

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 11:07 PM
as much as yes you are doing the right thing by reporting it, i can see your mums point hun. she has to live there.

But if there not taking the advice on board, then surely cant just leave the bun to suffer?

bluebunny
13-12-2008, 11:13 PM
I remember we lived in this house. nearby there was this poor rabbit in a little hutch never came out,I was scared to say anything as i was worried for my own rabbits safety if i did so i used to give it water food and hay,(when it got dark) then one day i went by and it had gone hutch and all i really wished ive of said something:(

Indiechic
13-12-2008, 11:17 PM
But if there not taking the advice on board, then surely cant just leave the bun to suffer?

well yes, but you put the note through yest so you need to speak to them i think.

im not trying to be funny nat, but your mum has to live there.

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I remember we lived in this house. nearby there was this poor rabbit in a little hutch never came out,I was scared to say anything as i was worried for my own rabbits safety if i did so i used to give it water food and hay,(when it got dark) then one day i went by and it had gone hutch and all i really wished ive of said something:(

Aww dear.
I have before cleaned the hutch when they were away and occassionally filled up water in summer months...:?

Sparkle x
13-12-2008, 11:18 PM
well yes, but you put the note through yest so you need to speak to them i think.

im not trying to be funny nat, but your mum has to live there.

I know, but im saying if i cant communicate with them and they dont want to listen then it doesnt leave me with much choice?

Hugo's There
13-12-2008, 11:33 PM
We had a similar problem with our neighbours cat, it was in a terrible state from an untreated skin infection. We darent report them because it would be so obvious it was us and make life very difficult. So when they were at work we took the cat to the vet without them knowing and got it treated, we just didn't know what else to do. I don't think they ever found out.

Morgan now lives with us as when the neighbours moved they left their 4 cats, 2 bunnies and 2 fish behind :roll:. All but one cat stayed with us, the male cat chose a home round the corner but I made sure he was being well looked after.

If you can't report it, is it possible to get the bunny to the vet while they are out to get the tooth burred and a dental check? I know this isn't really the answer but if it helps the bunny :?

donnamt
13-12-2008, 11:41 PM
it dont matter if it makes trouble... that bunny is suffering it needs to be reported.. i cant beleive people would put and easy life over the suffering of an animal :cry::cry::cry:

Indiechic
13-12-2008, 11:47 PM
it dont matter if it makes trouble... that bunny is suffering it needs to be reported.. i cant beleive people would put and easy life over the suffering of an animal :cry::cry::cry:

its not about that... i was just saying i can see her mums point and she needs to be careful.

donnamt
13-12-2008, 11:50 PM
its not about that... i was just saying i can see her mums point and she needs to be careful.

maybe we should hope it dies and her mom can stop worrying about the neighbours then :?

Indiechic
13-12-2008, 11:59 PM
maybe we should hope it dies and her mom can stop worrying about the neighbours then :?

not at all, but personally i would tread very carefully.

its all well and good telling nat what we think we would do in that situation... but when it comes down to it, its not very easy to live as the victim of a hate campaign i should imagine.

im not trying to stir it, im just giving a different side of the arguement.

of course i think its awful whats happening, and im not saying that nat shouldn't take steps to improve it, but she will have to tread carefully.

Amy & Amber
14-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Regardless of who it is, I would report them. It is animal cruelty.
Yes your mum lives there Nat, but letting that bunnie just die is not on.

I agree report it. Not enough people report things that they see that is why cruelty and crime is on the up. :wave::wave:

Fairy13
14-12-2008, 12:05 AM
We reported our neighbours and told them that we had because they had not sought their cat treatment. I was worried as we live in a rough neighbourhood and we havent been her very long and the cats owners had lived her 20+ years but in the end they conceeded and we actually took the cat with them to the vet. It was an odd situation but I couldnt let it go untreated.
We had before a couple of times mentioned that the cat needed a vet and also gave them the number of ours. The owner told me she'd called and i phoned and asked my vet and they said they'd not receined a call and so that prompted me to call the rscpa. I thenwrote them a note and said it was me that called the RSPCA and that I was sorry but I felt I had no other option as it is an offence to not seek treatment for an animal thats suffering.
That actually prompted them to come to us, be a bit more honest and we then resolved it between ourselves and got the cat treatment.
I know its not quite the same for Nat if its her mum's home but I do think if you get no where with speaking to these people and they dont accept an offer of help maybe, then you dont really have much other choice.
It is a very difficult situation but my conscience if I know about something like that will not allow me to ignore it. I just cant.

donnamt
14-12-2008, 12:53 AM
i would openly report a case of cruelty and id take on any hate campaign any idiots would send my way thankfully my mom is also an animal lover and would not think twice about reporting neighbours should she need too.... bet if it was a child being neglected no thought would be needed on what to do at all :roll::roll:

if it dont get reported i hope it dies quick and is out of the misery it must be suffering :evil:

Hugo's There
14-12-2008, 10:45 AM
not at all, but personally i would tread very carefully.

its all well and good telling nat what we think we would do in that situation... but when it comes down to it, its not very easy to live as the victim of a hate campaign i should imagine.

im not trying to stir it, im just giving a different side of the arguement.

of course i think its awful whats happening, and im not saying that nat shouldn't take steps to improve it, but she will have to tread carefully.

I agree with this, it is terrible what is happening to this poor bunny but when we seem to live in a day and age where people can be stabbed just for jumping red lights I do think you have to look at the bigger picture.

I'm sure Nat would agree that the safety of her family must come before the needs of this bunny unfortunately. I don't know what the neighbours are like and neither does anyone else except Nat and her family.

Unfortunately not everything is black and white and it is easy to sit back and give advice when you are not personally involved and don't have to live with the consequences.

weeble
14-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with this, it is terrible what is happening to this poor bunny but when we seem to live in a day and age where people can be stabbed just for jumping red lights I do think you have to look at the bigger picture.

I'm sure Nat would agree that the safety of her family must come before the needs of this bunny unfortunately. I don't know what the neighbours are like and neither does anyone else except Nat and her family.

Unfortunately not everything is black and white and it is easy to sit back and give advice when you are not personally involved and don't have to live with the consequences.
I agree with this I'm afraid yes the bun needs treating but you haven't spoken to them yet when you do they might sort it out I'm not saying its right but it could be ignorance rather than cruelty and if you point them in the right direction something good may happen. Fingers crossed.

jackiestone
14-12-2008, 11:29 AM
I undestand how you mum is feeling,we had a neighbour which we reported and they got the whole street against us,we had our garage vandalised,nobody would speak to us and this went on for 4 years until we decided to move and then they made viewings on our house difficult too:cry:
However you are thinking about this poor bunny and that is the point of your post.My vet nurse does free dental checks so how about if you speak to the owners and offer to get your vets to take a look,tell them that you read that a bunnys teeth can grow so long and damage their eyes and brain,and the bun can be in so much pain,good luck :love:

sillyrabbit
14-12-2008, 11:34 AM

I think lots of us have been in this position before though so we know it isnt easy to sit back and give advice :)

I have reported our neighbours who arent nice people at all on a number of occasions, it has meant having to be very careful with my own rabbits but it would be wrong for me to sit back and do nothing. If they put a brick through the window or something then I will just fix it and report them for that too :? I really doubt her family will be stabbed over this :shock:

I think it is important to report people like this or its never going to end for the poor rabbits, and then the next one will be in the same position! They need to learn its not right

Hugo's There
14-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I didn't actually say that they would be stabbed over it :shock: I was just pointing out that we unfortunately live in a world where extreme reactions do take place often with serious consequences.

I still think that this bunny should be helped but reporting it may not be the way to go yet. Nat still hasn't spoken to the owners, as jackie says talk to them first, offer to take it to the vet for them, do it in a positive way by saying that new animal welfare laws have been brought in and it is against the law to not get it treated so by helping the bunny you are also helping them as well :)

sillyrabbit
14-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Yeh if they will listen then thats the best way to go about it :) I think the fact that the bunny has a tooth hanging out kind of says it all though really :( Hopefully im wrong and they didn't notice the tooth or didnt realise it isnt normal and will now take the rabbit to the vets

Good luck anyways chick x

Becky86
14-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Only just caught up with this today :( Have you managed to see them today?? I guess its hard if theyre not in often :? If they wont talk to you then its really hard knowing what to do :?

I too agree it should be reported... but then as youve mentioned it via a note they might give your mum hell :( But on the other hand you dont want the bunny suffering :cry:

Could they not give bunny to you :? Id say to take bunny but that would be theft :shock: You could get put away for it :? *Sighs* I feel for you hun, you must be so worried :( :(

People like that ought to be treated as they treat their pets :cry:

*Hugs* for you hun, hope your ok xXx

Sparkle x
14-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Calm down calm down guys!!!!

Okay, went round today and spoken to them, it would appear she did leave me a voicemail, about an hour after i posted the note...:oops: :oops:

The rabbit has had its teeth clipped 3times now, they take him every 4-6weeks for them doing. It is obvious its in need of them doing again and she said he was going in this next week. I did mention they should maybe consider having them removed and also told her that he was abit underweight. She really appreciated the advice and was really nice about the whole thing :D

Will keep an eye on things, when i pop over each time! :wave:

CASE CLOSED! :lol:

Amy & Amber
14-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Brill news! Well Done Nat xx

donnamt
14-12-2008, 09:10 PM
phew glad im not thier neighbour... i already had them hung :oops::oops::oops:

so glad its not a case of neglect :D:D

Hugo's There
14-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Brilliant, I was hoping a quick chat would sort it all out :D

Becky86
14-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Fantastic news Nat :D :D Bless the poor bunny though :( xXx

weeble
14-12-2008, 09:43 PM
So glad it worked out well

Sparkle x
14-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Me too!!
She was lovely, and i felt so silly that she had left me a voicemail! Stupid phone!!! :oops:

Bunnyaddict
15-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Only just caught up with this Nat - so glad things worked out ok with this little bunny, well done :D

happypreso
17-12-2008, 02:43 PM
It was EXACTLY like this

http://www.blackness-vet.co.uk/images/2006_0625fijenny0002.JPG

OMG!! I bought our rabbits for my son *but* I knew I would be the one that would be looking after them (i love rabbits!) and no way would I not check on them and make sure they were okay.

Sparkle x
17-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Thats good! :D

Emm-Jane76
18-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Well done Nat - excellent work!