• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned over Neighbours rabbit

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Next door to my mums they own two rabbits, the kids do. Every so often i go and have a nosey.

Well today i went and had a look, they had upgraded ones hutch to a Thistle Hall which impressed me, nice clean beds, PLENTY of hay and food scattered around.

I had a little nosey at them both and noticed one had something coming out of its mouth, i thought it was some hay, so i opened it up and it was its tooth!!!!!!! It must of been about an inch long...i was horrified. The rabbit was on the skinny side, it was awful.....!

I went straight round but they were out. So i posted a note, explaining the above and told her i owned buns myself and that she needed to get it to a vet etc and gave my number.

Well ive not heard anything and cant get it out of my head......
What would you do?

Im thinking of keeping checking and perhaps going to my mums during the day when there in and having a chat, or even popping round.

They cannot leave it like that, its cruel.

Am i right in thinking its tooth would need clipping? It was about an inch long!

What a shame :cry: Some people just dont realise :( Poor bunny must be in so much pain :(

Did you tresspass then? :? Or dont they mind you going to see the buns? *Imagines you climbing over a gate to get into their back garden* :lol::oops:

I think you ought to go in the day when you know theyre going to be so you can explain how serious it could be, i.e, bun will die eventually if it doesnt get to a vet :cry:

Really hope it gets sorted, let us know how you get on :(

There is like a 3ft open style fence between the gardens. The buns are at the bottom, so can lean on fence if you get me.

I once cleaned them out in summer whilst they were away, whoever was looking after them wasnt doing a good job.

Ohh dont tell me about the pain. I cant get it out of my head, it was AWFUL!

Im going to go round tomorrow and see what they say..

There is like a 3ft open style fence between the gardens. The buns are at the bottom, so can lean on fence if you get me.

I once cleaned them out in summer whilst they were away, whoever was looking after them wasnt doing a good job.

Ohh dont tell me about the pain. I cant get it out of my head, it was AWFUL!

Im going to go round tomorrow and see what they say..

:( Good luck hunni. Wonder why they havent noticed :shock::roll: xXx

Yep you're right Nat his teeth need clipping at the very least. They might even need to come out depending on how bad they are - our Alfie's were like that & we had to have them removed. He'll also probably need his veg chopping really small or even grating, as well as his hay possibly cutting into small pieces.

I think I'd be tempted to go round in the day & have a general rabbit chat - they might just be ignorant & not realise :roll: They might be grateful of a bit of advice. If not, then I think I'd encourage them to give them up to a rescue if they can't take proper care of them.

I know it's hard, but you're right it's cruel to the bunny. Good luck & let us know how you go on.

I was going to go tonight but my mum wouldnt let me :roll:
It was not nice, i have actually thought about just going and taking it, but that wouldnt be right.

Its the kids rabbits, so the kids do everything for them.

When i used to live at home i often heard "whos feeding the rabbits?" "not me i did it last night"....Sigh

Fingers crossed. I will even take this little bun just so it gets treatment.

I was going to go tonight but my mum wouldnt let me :roll:
It was not nice, i have actually thought about just going and taking it, but that wouldnt be right.

Its the kids rabbits, so the kids do everything for them.

When i used to live at home i often heard "whos feeding the rabbits?" "not me i did it last night"....Sigh

Fingers crossed. I will even take this little bun just so it gets treatment.

Oh why oh why do parents get pets for their kids & not take responsibility themselves :roll::roll::roll: Funnily enough a friend of mine did once bunnynap a rabbit she saw being neglected after she'd already spoken to the family on several occasions & nothing improved. Not that I'm suggesting that's what to do - but I know why you'd think that. Poor bun - really hope you manage to sort it, if not could you perhaps inform the RSPCA?

Oh why oh why do parents get pets for their kids & not take responsibility themselves :roll::roll::roll: Funnily enough a friend of mine did once bunnynap a rabbit she saw being neglected after she'd already spoken to the family on several occasions & nothing improved. Not that I'm suggesting that's what to do - but I know why you'd think that. Poor bun - really hope you manage to sort it, if not could you perhaps inform the RSPCA?

I will try my best tomorrow i think, go round early morning and pop round. Just dont want them to think im been nosey, but im greatly concerned. Am i right in thinking it will need further vet treatment?

Oh that poor rabbit! :( I hope the familly takes you serious and listens and does something about it!

Oh the poor bun!! They might not realise its a problem (although they'd have to be pretty dim if you ask me :roll:)
Do you live at home? If not then maybe see if your mum could speak to them. It sounds like they care about the bunny....what with the new hutch and getting someone to look after the bun while they're away (I've heard/seen far too many people not bother :evil:) So it could just be ignorance. I'd try talking to them before you plan a bunny nap, try to do it gently too....If you alienate them then the situation could just get worse. Maybe you could offer to take the bun along to the vets yourself (they'd be paying though obviously)Or say that you'll come with them as support?
Don't put too much into the complaining kids.....kids complain about most things! I always used to moan about mucking out stables ( even though I secretly enjoyed it :roll: :oops:)
Good luck helping little bun though.

if one tooth is growing out like that there is no telling what the others are like. they could be just as long but curling inwards, possibly into the roof of the mouth :cry:

Yes the rabbit needs veterinary treatment. I would be wary of just advising them that it needs 'clipping' because they might just attempt to do so themselves. It used to be common practice for vets to clip an incisor, but it shouldn't be 'clipped' as such, as clipping often shatters the root of the tooth and leaves it open to infection. The rabbit really needs to see a rabbit savvy vet to deal with the issue and to check out the molars and other incisors.

Nat, if you don't get any joy with them then you can report iot to the RSPCA as it is classed as neglect, The Rspca may give them a time limit on getting it sorted if they say they cannot afford to then the Rspca will have a couple of options for them. If you want to give me a ring then you are more than welcome:D

I would call the RSPCA, poor bunny :(

Im sorry but there is no excuse even for someone who isn't very experienced with rabbits not to know that a tooth hanging out is wrong and needs some sort of treatment :?

Good luck x

Back