• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i get another half for honey?? male or female?

louise1

Mama Doe
While i was on holiday honey went to my neighbours( a friend in work) and made a new friend she fell in love with her male guinea pig called montgomery was alwasy in his cage or infront of the fire falling asleep and grooming each other lol.
Now she keeps going over to my guinea pigs girls) and wanting to be there friends misty will tolerate her and give her some kisses but pepsi has none of it ( shes the boss) of course i never leave them alone together but i feel so sorry for honey just now she obviosuly misses her wee friend lol:lol:

Last edited:
she is so friendly with everyone/thing do u think i should get her a freind as she seems to be missing companionship? or do u think i should wait untill she is spayed in the summer?:wave:

bump***********

77 views and no responses apart from louise and gus??? sum1 help

A friend or not a friend lol whats it to be???:wave:

Definitely a friend :D Rabbits are social animals and it sounds as if she is interested in other animals, even if they have been piggies! Is there a reason she's not being spayed until summer? I would still be inclined to get her a (neutered male) bunny friend now and take them both to the vets together when she is spayed in the summer. Are there any rescues near you who might be able to 'matchmake' and help with the bonding? :)

Shes not old enough just now.... she will be 6 months in about 2 months roughly i dont wanna get it done to early bcoz PAH said she was about 12 weeks so i dont wanna get it done when i think shes 6 months a wanna make sure she is.... Could she be bonded with a neautered male before spay??

She could be, but it is potentially (but not always) a bit more tricky, because unspayed females can get a bit territorial. It's usually less stressful if both buns are neutered first, but if it's a choice of that or wait till summer I think I'd be inclined to get her a friend sooner rather than later. As she's a youngster she may well be more accepting of a new friend as it won't be long ago she was with littermates.

I wouldn't get another female - unspayed females together can be a recipe for disaster. Female-female bonds can work but female-male is usually thought to be the easiest and best combination :)

o.k maybe ill speak to the local spca and see if there are any suitable friends for her.... shes alone alot while im at work aswell so maybe a friend would keep her company she loves EVERYONE lol she will groom my neighbours and everything!

When she plays with my guineas she kinda hops about then look behind her as if to say follow me!! my guineas are just like hmmm whos this giant thing..........

Last edited:
Definately get her a bunny friend you will love watching them together too. A neutered male would probably be better you know what us girlies can be like when we get together. Depending on the size of your bun and how good your vet is you might be able to get her spayed quite soon. Mine were done at 4 months as Chloe was getting VERY hormonal (sp?) and they were fine. You will need to keep her warm afterwards though

Back