• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilema... help?

William

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, so, my new baby rabbit, Jack, doesn't have a cage because we didn't know in advance we were going to get him (he was dumped at a petstore and they gave him to us for free). Right now he's in a cage that's about 2ft long, 1 foot wide which I know is way too small but I don't have anything bigger for him at the moment. My dad can build him a huge hutch but he doesn't want to yet. I don't know when he will and poor Jack looks so sad when I have to lock him back up. I used to let him run around the living room as long as I was around but he poops and pees everywhere plus he chews so my parents won't let me do that anymore (they have a fit about the poop. they make me pick it up instead of vaccumm it up because they think it's gross and would make the vaccumm icky inside and they;re like 'omg he's pooping EVERYWHERE, PUT HIM UP NOW!!!'. I can't bring him outside and let him run around while I follow him like I do with my other 2 rabbits because he is REALLY fast when he wants to be. like when I go to put him up when he's playing in the living room, he knows, and he runs away and it takes several mins to catch him. if he did that outside I'd lose him.

So what can I do untill my dad builds a hutch? There isn't another room of the houseI can play with him in. My rabbit, Izzy, has free range of my entire bedroom or else I'd let Jack play in my room for several hrs a day. I'm sure Izzy & Jack would fight, esp if Jack was in Izzy's territory.

And another thing, Izzy now races out of my bedroom at every cchance he can get now because he wants to see Jack, I guess. My family freaks out and yells at me because Izzy poops and pees everywhere now too (marking his territory cause of Jack, I assume caause he never did that before we gotJack.) and so I have to catch Izzy, which is equally as hard as catching Jack, and then Izzy gets mad at me for putting him back in my room :(

I was thinking about getting a C&C cage for Jack (without the chloroplast stuff tho), but it will probably have to be put in my room and I doubt i have room for a 6ft long, 3 ft wide cage, even if its only temporary and eeven if I get rid of my dresser and other desk which i was planning on doing anyways.
I could let him run around on our trampoline wile supervising.. but he'd probably just leap off or chew the trampoline. And the harness I have is too small for him..

So.. yeah.. any suggestions? I just don't know what to do. My parents think he's "fine" in that teeny cage for awhile cause he's small :roll:

Someone, I think on here, Put their rabbit UNDER the trampoline and fenced it around so he couldn't get out - a better idea than being on it I think - in case he ruins the tranpoline.;) COuld you tell your dad that he really needs another bigger cage and it's not fair to be in one so small, and that if he could make a new one you'd have him out of the way. ;) Worth a shot? Bet he is really cute eh?

ok firstly you are doing the right thing by thinking of what you can do. put an advert on freecycle for a hutch and run or indoor cage see if anyone near by has anything you can have which is bigger anything bigger s better than what he is in for now. secondly you need to save up the pennies and get him neutered if he is neutered he is less likely to poop and wee everywhere as you will be more likely able to litter train him to use a tray. for now lay paper/plastic sheet down in your romo hiding away any wires to stop him getting to those and let him have a hop in there then once donte the paper can be chucked and the plastic wiped down for wee with disinfectant and the pooops swept up with a dustpan and brush. cage wise if he is indoors or has no winter thick coat then get a dog crate around£10-30 on ebay get a 48inch on e and have it in your room thats only 4ft but at least it gives him the height to stand and would be a tempereary measure until you can arrange the bigger hutch to be built. ask a rescue if they have a an indoor cage or hutch that is beigger that youcould temperary borrow(ring around they may be able to help you) you need to get his vaccinations for myxi and vhd done too and ideally pannacur as well. regarding the space issue how about making a run out of nic cubes quite cheap from band q or making a run out of wood and weld mesh for teh garden alternativly how about buying a puppy pen whcih you could let him out in in the garden? under supervision. i dont advise letting any rabbits out in an area where they could escape from(including your other rabbits) even if they are slow as something could startle them and they could bolt then bam gone bunnies :( how about getting lots of cardboard boxes rom shops and making them into a maze style thing that he can run around in inside? alternativly you could buy a cheap ish run on ebay or on gumtree. i apprichiate you have taken him in at last minuite notice but he needs more space. how large is your other 2s accomodation if all teh rabbits were neutered a local rescue could bond them for you in a nuetral area and then they could live together?(for a nominal donation) what do you think? you can also ask for sheds on freeecycle or see if there are any going cheap near you sheds can make excellent rabbit homes as can play houses the 2ft hutch doesnt give bun the space to lie down or stretch out or even to stand up fully. good luck x

Someone, I think on here, Put their rabbit UNDER the trampoline and fenced it around so he couldn't get out - a better idea than being on it I think - in case he ruins the tranpoline. COuld you tell your dad that he really needs another bigger cage and it's not fair to be in one so small, and that if he could make a new one you'd have him out of the way. Worth a shot? Bet he is really cute eh?

Oh yeah, that would work.. we have some chicken wire that I could make a fence with. I;ll try that.

I've told them that he needs a bigger cage but they say that we need to solve our problems first before worrying about the animals :roll: (the house is really messy so they're cleaning it up and don't have any time for anything else).

Yeah, I'm about to post ads on craigslist, freecycle, and kijiji for a hutch/cage.

We have a playhouse (small one) but it would only work as a play area type thing as it is made of plastic and isn't enclosed in certain places. Plus we have raccoons, foxes, predatory birds, and other predators that could easily get in (I live in the USA). Its being used for storage right now and is very dirty inside so I doubt I can use it (my dad will say he has nowhere to put the stuff that's in there).

I have about $200 so I'd almost have enough to neuter all 3 of my buns and then they could all live in my room. But its always a big deal for my parents to do anything so I'd be lucky if i could get them neutered by Jan, even if I had enough money now.

now lay paper/plastic sheet down in your romo hiding away any wires to stop him getting to those and let him have a hop in there then once donte the paper can be chucked and the plastic wiped down for wee with disinfectant and the pooops swept up with a dustpan and brush.

If I had somewhere to put Izzy (one of my other buns) I could let Jack free range my room most of the time, i already cover my carpet in newspaper anyhow, but I dont have anywhere to put Izzy other than my bedroom. I suppose I could put Izzy in a small cage I have while I let Jack out and then switch...

you need to get his vaccinations for myxi and vhd done too and ideally pannacur as well.

Those are things that rabbits in the US need, right? I haven't vaccinated any of my rabbits.. i didn't know there were any.

Back