• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats your daily outdoor bun routine?

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hiya - just wondering how everyone else manages to get time to spend with their outdoor buns....?

I go out and feed them pellets and change water at about 7.30am - no time for cuddles, then when i get in at about 6.30 - 7pm I go and check them and give them a handful of pellets between them and hay and make sure they are ok - still not much time for cuddles as the housework and indoor buns and everything else is calling, then about 8.30 - 9.00pm I take their veggies out - they not interseted in cuddles at this point either !! It all seems like feed them and thats it !! I try and go out before bed to check them and give them a treat - but just been out and woke poor Nushka up :? then its all about what I have in my pockets again :lol::lol: Picked them both up for check up and now they are peed off with me !!! :?:roll::roll:

I reckon they are happy just being bunnies, just wondered what everyone else does - my house buns DEMAND nose rubs !! :lol::lol:

EDIT - Outdoor buns Bungle & Nushka are in a 9ft x 4ft shed and run combo with additional 13ft run - so they have plenty of space and space for me to sit with them too while they rummage in my pockets !!

In the morning I get the hutches opened up so they have access to the runs if wanted, and I throw their veggies all around for them to search for, I change all the water, and wash Benji's eyes then leave them to it. At some point in the day I will go out and spend time playing/fussing them, I occasionally let Benji Free range, as to him free ranging means following me round like a puppy dog :lol: :love: The time I spend out with them and how often I go out depends on the weather, what mood they are in (Missy and Timmy are not into cuddles and nose rubs very often) and what else I am doing that day. Due to a high risk of foxes, I lock my bunnies away as soon as it gets dusky/dark along with their pellets.

it changes, depending on what time i get up. it used to be that at daylight i'd get up and change Raven's newspaper, feed him, and water him and then in the afternoon i'd let him run around the yard (while following him) for an hr or 2. but now i get up later.

I feed them at around 7, top up hay, give them fresh water etc but they're only interested in food at that point so I don't make much of a fuss of them.

At some point during the day, I will put them into their run on the grass & they stay in there for around 2-3 hours then I let them run free in the garden for around an hour while I'm cleaning out litter trays, topping up their hay and water again etc. Then they get back into the hutch themselves when I bring their veggies. :lol:

They usually seem quite relaxed after they've been out of the hutch for a while, so once they've had their veggies they're usually ready for nose rubs. Well, Alfie is but Bubbles prefers to lick my hands while I rub Alfie's nose. :lol:

I top up their water and put in their snugglesafe at around 7pm - Bubbles jumps straight onto the snugglesafe now so she must feel the cold more, bless her & I put the covers over the front of the hutch.

It's hard because of the dark nights & the cold - during the summer Alfie would be free ranging for most of the afternoon/evening because there was always somebody outside with him.

At this time of year I can't see him very well as it's still dark in the mornings and early evenings! I go out and let him loose in the garden while I change his litter tray and feed/water, then if it's warm enough - he'll go in his run while I am at work, when I get home he has free range of the garden again until I put him to bed - this time of year about 5:30 but during the rest of the year about 10:00. When it's lighter I see to him at 6:00 a.m. so he is out for longer but it's soooo dark and cold now. I don't play with him much at all in the winter as he can't come in the house and it's wayyyy toooo cold for me sit outside or even in the shed as that is frozen too.

I open the shed as soon as It gets light.Put fresh water down for them.They are free range until I put them to bed at 6ish.At four I brush the shed put loads of hey in two massive boxes they have.One is a giant plastic dog bed the other Is a massive plastic tub used for watering plants when you go on hoiliday.I put fresh news paper on the floor a big bowl of food,spring greens,cauliflower,pear or half a corn on the cob and a peace of toast with Echinacea on It and a fresh bowl of water

I don't spend time with my outdoor buns during the week in winter, other than to feed and clean them.

I feel guilty that they don't get enough exercise, but there isn't much I can do about that

I don't spend time with my outdoor buns during the week in winter, other than to feed and clean them.

Same here, weekends are a different story! lol

i check them in the morning and then feed water hay and change any bedding that needs it wheni get back from work.

They all have permanent run access

My depends on what is happening as well!

I generally go and open the shed (they are in hutches in the shed) about 7.30am/8am and pop some food in. Then I take my son to school and then when I am back (about half nine) I let them have the run of the garden (due to my star having baby buns this has changed and they have to take it in turns at the mo! I did try to seperate the garden but the dad just kept escaping to the mum so now the other stays in the hutch!).

Then most days I go out at some point and clean the hutch out, top up food, change water etc. If they rabbits will let me then I make a fuss of them but I ma not getting much 'loving' from my buns at the mo (the dad has the hump as he isn't with the mum and the mum is just being mum!)

Then due to a rat problem (and I think we have foxes as well) I tend to gather all the rabbits and ensure they are all safe in hutches before dark. So winter time this is earlier than summer.

I love summertime as when the weather is warmer, I love just sitting in the garden and watching/fussing over the buns. I hate the winter ... wish hubby would let me have the buns in the house but I know I have no chance of that!

I put them all in their runs around 8.00am with their veg and dried food, i then go and sort out their hutches and runs in the shed for when they come back in, in the evening. If the weather is kind, they stay out untill i go to bed but if its horrid then they come in around 4-5pm.

7:00 am - Feed, hay water & sweep. Maybe a little nose rub
7:00 pm - Feed hay water sweep. Bit more of a cuddle but with 8 buns at the moment its a bit hard to make sure they all get some fuss. I generally don't spend more than 15 minutes unless I'm changing litter trays as I'm too cold, even though i'm in a slightly more sheltered lean too.

Hi

7.15am (and I'd better not be late!!!) Open up the shed.

Boys go straight for a wee!!

I brush the floor and change litter trays - then more wees!!!!(that's them not me!)

Get their fresh water, veggies and put out lots of hay.

Tidy up the mess that Ernie has just made, by emptying the litter tray I just cleaned. Not sure why he feels the need to do it, but once I have tidied it again, he's fine!!!

Tidy up their little area under a chair (lift off top layer of hay, shake the towel and brush carpet tiles) But they're not spoilt!!!

If I am lucky, I can get a quick cuddle with both of them (and quick check on bottoms etc)

Open the catflap.

Leave them to it while I get ready for work.

Say goodbye and lock the shed again.

6pm - tidy any mess up (usually poo that Ernie never manages to leave in the ltter tray!)

Few pellets and some hay.

Then about 8.30pm me and hubbie go and sit with them for about half an hour or more and try to get some cuddles again

10pm - bedtime!!!

7am-8am - Feed pellets and put them into their run with hay.
Top up hay throughout the day if need be.
4pm - Feed pellets. Clean out hutch with complete fresh hay. Water change.
8pm-9pm - Give them snugglesafe if needed and put cover over hutch.

Between 8-9am i go outside and take all the shutters/covers off the hutches, feed pellets/water/change litter trays/fresh hay for all the buns, they all get noserubs of a morning, always speak to them too :oops: Let George and Lottie into their run, which they have access to all day :) Foster buns will only go out on the grass if its not rainy and if im going to be in :)

Around 4-5pm when i get home i go and check all buns are ok, and generally one set of buns comes in the house for 30 mins for cuddles :) I have to alternate days as theres 3 sets of outdoor buns at the moment :( George and Lottie prefer to be bunnies and will run away so they dont have to come indoors, when they do come indoors they sit looking out the patio door :roll::lol:

Of an evening, around 8-9pm i prepare all their bowls of veggies, give them all snugglesafes, get Lottie and George back in their hutch, cover them back over and if litter trays are messy i re-do them :)

Indoor buns its different, Ronnie is more like a dog and follows me everywhere :roll: Lola's free range time has to be limited because shes a poo/wee machine :roll:

:) xXx

Back