• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Self Harming

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Bloomin' Maddie again.... shes always chewing and licking at her dewlap and I'd not realised how bad shes made it. Its mostly bald with stubbly regrowth under her chin where shes licked it, its not wet or anything, and not scabby but looks a bit red and is sore when i touch it - she digs and bites at me which isn't like her.

I've got some Aloe Vera gel i've put on her, but is there something else I can try for her?

I need to break the habit really, but how do i do that without 24hour supervision! Shes got plenty of things to keep her busy so i'd hope its not a boredom problem...

What can I do next?
Thanks guys

Bloomin' Maddie again.... shes always chewing and licking at her dewlap and I'd not realised how bad shes made it. Its mostly bald with stubbly regrowth under her chin where shes licked it, its not wet or anything, and not scabby but looks a bit red and is sore when i touch it - she digs and bites at me which isn't like her.

I've got some Aloe Vera gel i've put on her, but is there something else I can try for her?

I need to break the habit really, but how do i do that without 24hour supervision! Shes got plenty of things to keep her busy so i'd hope its not a boredom problem...

What can I do next?
Thanks guys

get her speeyd by a rabbti savvy vet. my bun dora pre spey used to sit on the decking and litrally rip out fur from her dewlap and her stomach until her stomach was raw and bald it was horrifying to watch and she would just bite if i tried to stop her the poor bun barely had to be shaved when they did the op as there was so little fur left. if she is already speeyd then i htink you need to look at root cause this could be stress induced in which case a companion may help if its anxiety based or more toys adn a change around of hutch run garden play area may be needed.
if its due to mites or irritation then you will need to get a vet to prescribe smething it could be allergies even. good lcuk x

Hi thanks for replying,
She is spayed already (yet stil has a huge dewlap!) and has a husbun who she adores and he is very doting on her. She used to pull fur from her sides when she was in the rescue but thought she'd left that behaviour behind her.

She has licked her dewlap bald before, and it did grow back - it just seems shes decided she wants rid of it again!

She was on an Ivermectin course just in July but I didn't notice that this stopped at all then.

Is her dewlap large enough to get in her way? She's maybe liking it because it's there directly infront of her. You could have it removed, there was a thread a few years ago about a bun who had an overlarge dewlap removed.

I don't think its a massive dewlap - but is large enough for her to snuggle her head into when shes snoozing!!

I'll try the aloe vera gel for a few days and see if that helps - it should if its an irritation?

Check her bum. Sometimes a Rabbit who cannot get to their bum to clean themself/eat their caecotrophs will continuosly pull at their dewlap.
A general health check (especially check for mites and check teeth for signs of molar spurs) would be a good idea as 'behavioural issues' can be caused by a physical problem.

:)

Her dewlap isn't over sized in anyway:D. She must be missing me;) but at least while she is self harming she isn't biting you:lol:. I hadn't noticed her nibbling her dewlap while she was with me over the weekend:? She is definately a funny bunny (glad you adopted her and nobody else:D)

I agree with Jacks Jane because I knew of a bun who was apparently self harming but it turned out that she had a huge abscess inside that she was aware of and people weren't, so a thorough health check is a good idea. It's heartbreaking to watch an animal do that to themselves though :(

Check her bum. Sometimes a Rabbit who cannot get to their bum to clean themself/eat their caecotrophs will continuosly pull at their dewlap.
A general health check (especially check for mites and check teeth for signs of molar spurs) would be a good idea as 'behavioural issues' can be caused by a physical problem.

:)

Her bum is absolutely fine and she can reach no problems. She is a bun that just cant sit still (kay knows!) and shes always doing something, anything, everything.

I'll take her for a check over at the weekend then - i can't imagine her ever having spurs with the amount of hay she eats - but we'll have a good look around if she let us!

She won't let me anywhere near her with the aloe gel today though...

Hello,

My Roxy is doing exactly the same at the moment-but around her tummy and hind legs. I've been to the vets with her twice so far and she has had invermectine (or whatever its called :roll:) and is now on metacam as the vet is concerned that it could be pain related or phycological. We are trying to rule out the pain first. She has had her teeth checked so the next step might well be an xray for fear of root problems or something else. The pschological problem is also likely as I have just moved house and Roxy seems to be a bit of a worrier (except when I'm there :love:).

I'm taking her back on Tuesday but its so worrying isn't it.

Let me know if you make any discovery. Poor little rabbits are delicate little souls aren't they.

Maddie is a rabbit that never sits still long enough to do anything:roll: she is a very fit and healthy bun, I will be very surprised if the vet finds anything wrong with her as it wasn't that long ago she was checked to go on the propalin was it. I feel sorry for Nibbler living with her ;):lol::lol::lol:

Could it be a side effect of the Propalin

Presentation A clear, colourless solution for oral use containing Phenylpropanolamine Hydrochloride PhEur 50 mg/ml. Uses Phenylpropanolamine is a sympathomimetic agent which acts by direct stimulation of the a-adrenergic receptors in the smooth muscle of the internal urethral sphincter. It is indicated in the treatment of urinary incontinence associated with urethral sphincter incompetence in the *****. Efficacy has only been demonstrated in ovariohysterectomised bitches Dosage and administration The recommended dose for Propalin is 1mg/kg bodyweight 3 times daily in the feed, corresponding to 0.1 ml Propalin Syrup / 5 kg bodyweight 3 times daily. The absorption rate is increased if the product is administered to fasted dogs. Contra-indications, warnings, etc The use of Propalin is not appropriate for the treatment of behavioural causes of inappropriate urination. Do not administer to patients treated with non-selective monoamine oxidase inhibitors. In the course of field clinical trials, loose stools, liquid diarrhoea, decrease in appetite, arrhythmia and collapse were reported in some dogs. Treatment was continued depending on the severity of the undesirable effect observed. Sympathomimetics may produce a wide range of effects, most of which mimic the results of excessive stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system (e.g. effects on heart rate and blood pressure). Phenylpropanolamine, a sympathomimetic drug, may affect the cardiovascular system, especially blood pressure and heart rate, and should be used with caution in animals with cardiovascular diseases. Care should be exercised in treating animals with severe renal or hepatic insufficiency, diabetes mellitus, hyperadrenocorticism, glaucoma, hyperthyroidism or other metabolic disorders. In bitches less than 1 year old the possibility of anatomical disorders contributing to incontinence should be considered prior to treatment. Do not administer to pregnant or lactating bitches. Care should be exercised in administering Propalin Syrup with other sympathomimetic drugs, anticholinergic drugs, tricyclic antidepressants or specific type B monoamine oxidase inhibitors. It should not be used in patients treated with non-selective monoamine oxidase inhibitors. In healthy dogs, no side effects were observed at up to 5 times the recommended dosage. However, an overdose of phenylpropanolamine could produce symptoms of excessive stimulation of the sympathic nervous system. Treatment should be symptomatic. Alpha-adrenergic blockers may be appropriate in the case of severe overdose. However, no specific recommendation on drugs or dosages can be given. Withdrawal periods Not applicable Operator warning Phenylpropanolamine Hydrochloride is toxic when overdoses are ingested. Adverse effects may include dizziness, headache, nausea, insomnia or restlessness, and increased blood pressure. High overdose may be fatal, especially in children. To avoid accidental ingestion, the product must be used and kept out of reach of children. Always replace the cap securely after use. In the event of accidental ingestion, seek immediate medical attention showing the physician the package insert. In the event of accidental skin contact, wash the contaminated area with soap and water. Wash hands after use of the product. In the event of accidental eye contact, rinse the eye with clean water for about 15 minutes and seek medical advice. Pharmaceutical precautions Do not store above 25°C. Do not refrigerate. Following withdrawal of the first dose, use within 3 months. Discard any remaining product. Any unused products or waste material should be disposed of in accordance with national requirements. Legal category POM-V (previously POM) Packaging Quantities 30ml and 100 ml: High density polyethylene bottle with low density polyethylene syringe adapter insert and a polypropylene child resistant closure; the package contains also one 2 ml graduated syringe of low density polyethylene /polystyrene.

Could it be a side effect of the Propalin

Adverse effects may include dizziness, headache, nausea, insomnia or restlessness, and increased blood pressure. .

Oh no, Maddie has always been hyper and shes only been on the Propalin syrup for about 2 months. Even after her spay she wouldn't sit still for 5 minutes - shes a bundle of energy and just has to do something all the time... wonder if this is her new vice. Last year it was drinking, so :?

Oh no, Maddie has always been hyper and shes only been on the Propalin syrup for about 2 months. Even after her spay she wouldn't sit still for 5 minutes - shes a bundle of energy and just has to do something all the time... wonder if this is her new vice. Last year it was drinking, so :?

If the dewlap pulling started after commencing the Propalin then I'd certainly discuss it with the Vet :)

Sorry, not got my brain in today.... I see what you were getting at. No, she has pulled her dewlap fur out before we started the propalin, but it regrew and she seemed ok..

Will go for a talk to the vet anyhow.
Thanks everyone :)

Back