• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

head shaking

mopsmum

Mama Doe
our new rabbit has been to the vets today, mainly because he wasn't eating. the vet checked teeth,ears, eyes and gut sounds and apart from him not having quite as much gut sound as normal could find nothing wrong with him. when in the hutch outside he seemed to be twitching or shivering so now hes living in my bedroom.but now i have been watching him closely and he shakes his head a lot. but the vet said that inside his ears were fine. has anyone any ideas at all of what it could be.
thanks, tracey

an inner ear infection a build up of wax ec mites there are lot sof things it could be sneezing from snuffles i would bring inside to monitor and keep warm try and get him on some antibiotics adn a precautionary course of pannacur in case it is ec.... also is he eating and pooping was he given a gut stimulant and pain killer ? dont mean to sound rude but is your vet rabbit savvy could someone in the local area possibly reccomend someone if they are rabbit savvy then i guess you can only go by thier advice hope your bun is ok x

Is he flicking his ears about with a deliberate shaking motion or does it seem to be a more subtle subconscious movement of the head?

an inner ear infection a build up of wax ec mites there are lot sof things it could be sneezing from snuffles i would bring inside to monitor and keep warm try and get him on some antibiotics adn a precautionary course of pannacur in case it is ec.... also is he eating and pooping was he given a gut stimulant and pain killer ? dont mean to sound rude but is your vet rabbit savvy could someone in the local area possibly reccomend someone if they are rabbit savvy then i guess you can only go by thier advice hope your bun is ok x

the vet i saw today is very good with rabbits.he was given a gut stimulant and checked thoroughly including his ears.he doesnt have a runny nose and isnt sneezing. i did wonder ec and we do panicur all the rabbits that come into our rescue routinely so we can monitor for any difference.he sits and sort of twitches a lot :( he does look more settled inside but is still acting rather strange.he has been syringe fed and has since eaten some grated carrot.his poos are very small. he did go several days without food and hay in his previous home :cry:

Is he flicking his ears about with a deliberate shaking motion or does it seem to be a more subtle subconscious movement of the head?

deliberate shaking at first, calmed down a little now but still definately something not right.

Is it repeated vigourous shaking or just more like a 'twitch'.
If he has been without food/water for some time did the Vet give him any fluid therapy (subcutaneous or IV Hartmans) ?
Is the Bun underweight but with a 'pot belly' ?

the vet i saw today is very good with rabbits.he was given a gut stimulant and checked thoroughly including his ears.he doesnt have a runny nose and isnt sneezing. i did wonder ec and we do panicur all the rabbits that come into our rescue routinely so we can monitor for any difference.he sits and sort of twitches a lot :( he does look more settled inside but is still acting rather strange.he has been syringe fed and has since eaten some grated carrot.his poos are very small. he did go several days without food and hay in his previous home :cry:

hope didnt offend its just i know how rare the good vets seem to be! hmm its a difficult one if a rab sav vet cant find an issue and bun had been pannacured already then im afraid im out of sugegstions....is it something he has only just started doing or is he a new arrival(sorry just thinking maybe its just the way he is?) is there any insects that could be bothering him midges flys?

Is it repeated vigourous shaking or just more like a 'twitch'.
If he has been without food/water for some time did the Vet give him any fluid therapy (subcutaneous or IV Hartmans) ?
Is the Bun underweight but with a 'pot belly' ?

hes been doing both shaking his ears but also twitching his all body.its sad to watch :cry: although he doesnt seem to be distressed. he cant have been left all that long without food, maybe fed then left without repeatedly, but when he was picked up there was nothing in the cage :cry:he isn't underweight or dehydrated.

hope didnt offend its just i know how rare the good vets seem to be! hmm its a difficult one if a rab sav vet cant find an issue and bun had been pannacured already then im afraid im out of sugegstions....is it something he has only just started doing or is he a new arrival(sorry just thinking maybe its just the way he is?) is there any insects that could be bothering him midges flys?

no you didn't offend.:) hes only just starting panicure, only came in yesturday. ive looked in his ears myself to see if theres anything tickling him but can find nothing.:?

Do any other area's of his body twitch, such as his withers?
Is it worse when he seems to get more stressed or uncomfortable?

Do any other area's of his body twitch, such as his withers?
Is it worse when he seems to get more stressed or uncomfortable?

he seems to twitch everywhere although now hes been in the house a while he seems have calmed down slightly.ear shaking also isn't as bad. he was terrified at the vets and kept wanting to be cuddled, he's really pulling at my heart strings.

maybe its the vet visit that has set off this behaviour, maybe the cold wasn't helping. wondering if it could be a nervous thing as he seems much happier now inside. still cant get over the shock of my OH saying i could bring him inside and put him in our bedroom :shock:

maybe its the vet visit that has set off this behaviour, maybe the cold wasn't helping. wondering if it could be a nervous thing as he seems much happier now inside. still cant get over the shock of my OH saying i could bring him inside and put him in our bedroom :shock:

That was pretty much what I was getting at, that it might be a habitual behavioural issue that is worsened when he is frightened. In other words, it's psychological.

I assume the vet took his temperature and it was normal so it isn't hypothermia?

The only physical explanations I can come up with is EC/CNS damage or a very deep rooted ear infection...hence no external symptoms in the ear canal.

I suspect your going to have to play it by ear. :?

PS: Guess where Monty still is ;)

That was pretty much what I was getting at, that it might be a habitual behavioural issue that is worsened when he is frightened. In other words, it's psychological.

I assume the vet took his temperature and it was normal so it isn't hypothermia?

The only physical explanations I can come up with is EC/CNS damage or a very deep rooted ear infection...hence no external symptoms in the ear canal.

I suspect your going to have to play it by ear. :?

PS: Guess where Monty still is ;)

hes not too bad about things when they are his idea :) the last ones he said keep inside i couldn't part with and are still here but definately no more.my house is like a zoo at the moment. we have the new bun in my room, a degu in my daughters room,two house rabbits in the lounge, a gp and a hamster in the dining room and a gp in the kitchen waiting to be picked up by the fosterer, i darent chop veg or russle bags as everyone thinks its feed time :roll:

hes not too bad about things when they are his idea :) the last ones he said keep inside i couldn't part with and are still here but definately no more.my house is like a zoo at the moment. we have the new bun in my room, a degu in my daughters room,two house rabbits in the lounge, a gp and a hamster in the dining room and a gp in the kitchen waiting to be picked up by the fosterer, i darent chop veg or russle bags as everyone thinks its feed time :roll:

Sounds like this place....I have two ex-Happy Hoppers boarding over Xmas with me too.

I tried to put Monty back out on Tuesday, guess who wouldn't let me.....because, and I quote...'He's cute' :lol::lol::lol:

just updating that this morning he is much better. still twitching when i go near him but only occasionaly shaking his ears. has eaten all his grated carrot and picked at his dry food. it will be chopped up apple and oats for breakfast, i have found few rabbits can resist this :)

Back