• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attempting to re-bond buns

judest

Young Bun
From reading the past posts, I think I should trying rebonding them outside in a run again. Rosie is living in the spare-room and Audrey is living outside because Rosie has had Myxo.

I'm not sure that the spare-room would be neutral terrority it ended with circling mounted and generally an agressive atmosphere last time. I removed Rosie from Audrey because I thought she might get hurt as she's still recovering.

I then tried outdoors but it became so cold that I had to bring Rosie in after about an hour, I don't think she's ready for the outdoors just yet.

Not sure what to do though. Any ideas ?

Are they both neutured/spayed? Hormones could be flying everywhere.

You'll need to get your indoor bun used to the outdoors, and personally i wouldn't do it this time of the year, maybe when it gets a bit warmer. You can't just plonk her out there as they will be incredibly cold as she hasn't got the corret fur to keep her warm as your outdoor bunny has.

If they are spayed you could bond them indoors and keep them indoors and move them outside in summer?

Thanks Spider.

They were bonded as sister and I had them both spayed. They've both very thick Rex fur but I agree its too cold for Rosie just now.

The house isn't big enough for two indoor bunny hutches unfortunately, much as I'd like to bring Audrey in, its a very small cottage. :( (I would like to move to somewhere with more room but the current housing market situation has us stuck in our first house for a long time yet I suspect).

I brought Audrey in over bonfire night in a carrier and let them both run around the spareroom but it didn't go so well.

I see :)
What exactly happened?
Fur pulling, chasing and humping is perfectly normal.
If you are really stuck neuturing i've heard some people on the site will do it for you or a local rescue :)
I :love: Rexes soooo beautiful.
It's probably best just to leave it for a while, and then try and neutral space (we first set Toffee & Ghostie off in the bathroom and they seemed very relaxed) and then they were in the lounge where Ghost fur pulled Toffee like there was no tomorrow. I was quite shocked at how gruesome it looked but Siona assured me it was perfectly normal :wave:

ooh thanks again. Well the usual humping, circling they usually do that anyway but chasing is new. I might be overly anticipating some kind of nonsence I will give it another go and try not to intervene unless I have to.

They're already speyed, I just hope that they can settle down to the washing of ears as they like to do. I will try them in the kitchen if I get my partner to take the dog out for the day.

Only seperate them if they draw blood with strong nipping, lunge or full on fight. Otherwise they're trying to figure who's the dominant one.

I have been looking through some more recent postings about bondings and I have an idea. I will try as suggested putting them in the same carrier to transport them at Christmas.

(I found a brilliant carrier at this site http://www.*********************.co.uk/ which is a top loading carrier with two food bowls that fit in the perspex door!. Seat belts can be used to secure it. Its been hard finding a carrier that's easy to get a rabbit out of believe me, most were front loading and not much help with getting a rabbit out for vet visits).

I also have a new indoor cage arriving soon. When I go away for Christmas then I will put the two of them in there with some food and see how we go. As it will be neutral terrority - a cage neither have been in before and a room in a house they've not stay in before I think it might be worth a go. It seems the less room they get started in the better.

Rosie is much better after the Myxo, her nose is still a bit red but the fur is growing back over. She still sneezes from time to time. I took a picture last night. I will add it to the site later on.

Apologies, not meaning to advertise just recommend a good carrier.

google Images "rabbit carrier" will display quite a few if anyone is looking for one.

I did not have any problems with these rabbits. They seem to just get on where they left off. There were no issues with them sharing a cage again over the Christmas period. I am so pleased. Thanks for all the tips like leaving the food on the floor of the cage and putting them both in the same carrier. I'm sure all of this must have helped along with the new 'neutral' cage and staying in a neutral house. They're now happily reunited and I think its done Rosie a world of good as she's now fully recovered from the Myxomatosis now. I do have two rabbits living in my spareroom until the spring, groan! but they're no trouble.

Back