• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6ft hutches on ebay ....

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been browsing hutches and there's a few new six foot ones listed now over the last few days.

Of special note though is in this link (Albany Pets) It says they will be listing a 3 storey 6ft hutch in next few days.... I shall be watching for price of that then as they look to be really good quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6FT-Rab...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Only down side to the one in the picture that I can see is it is only 20" deep, not 24", but still a darn good hutch

*spoilt for choice now* :?

I don't think those hutches are good for the price! If you are willing to pay so much for a hutch you would be far better to invest in something as solid as a happy hutch with a bigger run underneath, as it will be made from much more sustainable materials.

These DIY hutches are made from very soft redwood, they rot very easily and are too easy for a rabbit to destroy from the inside and out. I would also be wary of a triple hutch made out of these materials because I wouldn't imagine they wouldn't be safe standing up in strong winds. I had a solid joiner made triple hutch be pulled over in strong winds, even though it was up against a wall.

Really lovely! Will they have a run on grass as well.

I change my mind every day as to what's best :roll:

My ideal is an aviary type set up with a shed/playhouse but whenever I see a good quality hutch I think that would be best. A hutch that size would fit down the side of the house (ideal for winter as sheltered and opposite the back door). Maybe to have the aviary set up for summer. (Grass area inside it)

As the bunnies live indoors anyway why would I need a winter hutch *unless I'm considering adopting a couple of bunnies who would live outside* :shock::shock:

I don't think those hutches are good for the price! If you are willing to pay so much for a hutch you would be far better to invest in something as solid as a happy hutch with a bigger run underneath, as it will be made from much more sustainable materials.

These DIY hutches are made from very soft redwood, they rot very easily and are too easy for a rabbit to destroy from the inside and out. I would also be wary of a triple hutch made out of these materials because I wouldn't imagine they wouldn't be safe standing up in strong winds. I had a solid joiner made triple hutch be pulled over in strong winds, even though it was up against a wall.

Good point about the wind with a three story one.

I'm really not happy with the quality of the Happy Hutch I've got which is why I'm looking for something better quality. ... it looks better in the pics but definitely don't want to go for something filmsy, not durable etc.

I probably need to decide what I want and go to Dawson Animal Housing as they seem to get the biggest thumbs up at the mo. No harm in doing loads of comparisions in the meantime though

i reckon if you're going for a hutch its a pretty good option. i got my run from them and its really good. you rarely find a hutch that doesnt need some finishing, and i'd probably weather coat this one, but you could add the 6ft run on the bottom easily for extra space, and having seen their smaller ones at the warehouse i reckon it would be pretty sturdy. in a sheltered spot, which it should be anyway, i reckon it would be ok in the wind. it will be interesting to see what the 3 tier one will be like

The main reason the three tier one is of interest is because the area at the side of the house is only 6ft 6in wide so the hutch having it's back to the fence couldn't accommodate a run in front, though with a small amount of effort I could put a run on the side of it. ... or of course three tier, to give them space.

*unless I'm considering adopting a couple of bunnies who would live outside* :shock::shock:

So, who have you got in mind then? :p:lol:

The only thing I would say about the 3 tier is that a lot of the space will be taken up by the 2 ramps between levels - you might actually be better off with a 2 tier and a run on the side if possible.

I've got the 6ft Happy Hutch with 6x4 run underneath - the litter tray almost fills the bedroom part plus I have a cardboard box in the other side for Alfie & Bubbles to demolish (they're supposed to snuggle up in it :roll::lol:) & it doesn't leave a lot of room for them to play around in because of the opening for the ramp. Dh doesn't know it yet :? but I want to get an aviary type enclosure to put just the hutch part of my HH combo inside so that I can give them a) a bigger total area b) more shelter as I can block off the ramp opening of the hutch.

We've used Albany, Happy Hutch and Dawsons for hutches for the business in the past. Albany has lasted 18 months, Happy hutch hasn't even lasted a year and we have just ordered 9 new hutches plus runs from Dawsons, which I think speaks for itself who we prefer and recommend

So, who have you got in mind then? :p:lol:

I don't want to start any rumours until I've thought everything through thorougly :roll::lol:

I have to get Artie and Esme bonded before I go jumping into any further commitments. I haven't had three consecutive days to spare to watch them and I can't send them anywhere as I'd miss them too much :roll: *May* be starting this on Friday, all being well :shock:

We've used Albany, Happy Hutch and Dawsons for hutches for the business in the past. Albany has lasted 18 months, Happy hutch hasn't even lasted a year and we have just ordered 9 new hutches plus runs from Dawsons, which I think speaks for itself who we prefer and recommend

Thanks - I definitely want more than 18 months for that kind of money :shock:

I don't want to start any rumours until I've thought everything through thorougly :roll::lol:

I have to get Artie and Esme bonded before I go jumping into any further commitments. I haven't had three consecutive days to spare to watch them and I can't send them anywhere as I'd miss them too much :roll: *May* be starting this on Friday, all being well :shock:

Ooooh, exciting........ or nerve wracking, depending which way you look at it. :? :lol:

Alternatively you could wait about 6 weeks and they will go to auction style. My oh bought the 5ftx6ft run which was only on bin for 100+postage,in October, only for me to buy one earlier this week on auction for 60 delivered. Similar with their hutch covers.

Alternatively you could wait about 6 weeks and they will go to auction style. My oh bought the 5ftx6ft run which was only on bin for 100+postage,in October, only for me to buy one earlier this week on auction for 60 delivered. Similar with their hutch covers.

yes, that's a thought. I do have the HH hutch empty I could use, if needed in the meantime.

I started out looking at the Albany 5ft double hutch with cover for £120 which seems like a bargain. I had a bid on one of the runs too, I'm assuming this time of year would be a good time to get one at a good price.... will keep on trying until I get a bargain, I'm not in a hurry to get one. ... we might even have been bidding against each other on the run :shock:

ETA: It wasn't the same run, it went for £61 + £13 p&p

Last edited:
I got my 5ft double for 70 pounds, ive put a tarp over mine as their covers didn't look up to much, as I said I won a run this week for 46 pound plus 13 delivery, so if you could win them close together you could save on delivery too

ive found " just snipe. com" a really good place to snipe auctions, which helps keep the price lower for you. Although keep an eye on it at the end as a few times Ive only missed out by a pound or two :(

I got my 5ft double for 70 pounds, ive put a tarp over mine as their covers didn't look up to much, as I said I won a run this week for 46 pound plus 13 delivery, so if you could win them close together you could save on delivery too

I knew you got a good price, but forgot it was so good - are you still happy with the quality? I know it's only a few months but ... compared to HH?

well my HH lasted about 2 months before I was completely unhappy. Can't praise it enough. Other than being animal welfare compliant. there is plenty of angle on the roof, so water doesn't sit, even with the tarp on,the ladders come ready to fix, so no running round shops looking for hinges. The rubber feet are a great touch, meaning the wooden feet don't sit in the damp. The wood is good quality, the bedroom door on mine is perfect, I have to nudge it in place, but at least it doesn't let a draft in on a night.

due to the size, it does take 2-3 people to assemble. And there are niggles as with anything, would recommend a pack of four locks, as one lock on each door is not enough.

I bought a run from Albany on ebay last year and it only lasted a couple of months, it was exactly the size I wanted and cheapish but they use some kind of soft/semi hard wood which they treated but basically soon as a bit of rain came it softened more and all the hinges came loose and it just fell apart within months. Ive kept the wire to make another run myself though, the frame has gone to the tip.
Check what wood its made from, it was some kind of soft red/fir wood.

Last edited:
Back