• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plastic run shelter during winter?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I need to sort something out so Buu can play in her run while im at work, she is hating coming in the house no matter what room I put her in or what toys I leave her

The reason she isn’t being left in the run at the moment is because there is no like shelter box for her to sit in if she becomes too cold or something frightens her

I just text my brother will he come to B&Q with me tonight to get wood so I can make a shelter box for her and he thinks I can just get some plastic hooded litter trays with a flap type door and that will be ok if I say filled one to the top with hay and the other lined with vetbed and put her snugglesafes in?

The run itself has a custom made cover on the whole time, so there is no wind or rain getting into the run. It’s only something for her to snuggle/hide inside the run im after

Would people normally use wood shelters because it would keep wind out? Or because it will keep more heat in? It it’s just because wood is more weather proof do you think it would be ok to use a plastic box like this inside the run that is already protected from wind/rain?

Ive no idea if it would keep her warm :oops:

I think any sort of shelter would be better than none. I'm not sure if the plastic of the covered litter tray would be 'warm' so to speak. :?

How good are you at DIY to make a little box shelter out of wood?

She won’t be going out with no box in the run, I wouldn’t do that :)

Pretty bad I think but I’ve never tried so don’t actually know. I don’t even get what type of wood I have to buy, I went at the weekend and had to come back because there was so much stuff and they asked what I need and I didn’t know. And my mum said I have to draw up a proper plan of how I will build it :?

If a wooden one will keep her warmer than the plastic then I will make sure she gets a wooden one, just thought I would check on here first because I wasn’t sure if plastic would be colder or not :)

Thanks x

Thanks hun that does help, just not sure about putting it all together once I have the stuff :)

I will go back up to B&Q tonight and try to get my brother to go with me

Thanks x

We use small hutches for shelters in our runs - see if anyone's giving any away on freecycle. You know the 3 or 4' ones that you'd never house a bunny in permanently, but they do make great shelters (and look-out points - mine prefer to sit on top of them :roll:)

Peppa and Nesbit have Peppa's old hutch she came with in their run. They love to sit on it and snuggle.

Good luck with the building if you go for it.

Thanks Tamsin, ive seen them

How big is it compared to Scamp? Buu its quite a big girl do you think a biggish bun would get in and out of the door ok?

There aren't any hutches on our freecycle or for sale thingy, ive actually been looking out for them and kind of given up which is why im asking now

I refuse to buy one from a shop :lol:

Its very spacious, you could fit about 5 Scamps inside or a pair of dwarf lops. The door is about cat flap size. It's very well made too :)

Its alright hun, I think there are measurements on the website :) And if its no good for Buu I can just put it in Trip and Scarlett's run :lol:

Jersey so postage would be too much :lol: Thanks though thats very sweet x

Right if she is too big for what Tamsin posted I am buying wood and my friends's dad is going to show me how to build a box :lol:

Back