• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello, I've got a question???

macros2308

Young Bun
Hello all, my name is Corey, and I've got a new rabbit that I've had for about 3 weeks now. I rescued him from outside where he was being hunted by the neighborhood cats. I'm convinced that he was a pet that just got out or was thrown away, pets escaping or just being ditched are unfortunately very common around here. I named him Sherlock, and he's very well behaved. He immediately knew about the water dropper, and he loves the pellet feed. I also have timothy hay for him, but he doesn't eat that as often, even though I constantly keep it in his cage which was a former dog cage for a german shepard, so it's very large and I was able to make a second level for him. When I let him out, he loves to run around my room and jump in the air seemingly randomly, and then go and sleep in several spots around the room. He also loves to spend time licking me, and having me pet him. He seems to lick me for as long or longer than I pet him, occasionally having me stop petting him so that he can lick me, before having me pet him again, lol.

The things that I'm most curious/worried about is that I don't know what type of rabbit he is, and I'd like to take him to a vet to see if he's healthy, he seems to be healthy, but I want to make sure. However, vets that specialize in rabbits are very expensive, and as I'm a classic model of the struggling college student, I don't really have the money to spend on taking him to a vet right now. If I could, I'd like to post some pictures of him and ask if any of you knew what type and or breed of rabbit he is, if any of you can help, i'd greatly appreciate it. ^_^

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Hello :wave::wave::wave: He is gorgeous, i wish mine we as well behaved as :lol:
The jumping up in the air is called a binky...it means he is VERY happy.:D:D
As for the breed, im not so sure as im new to all this as well....i would recomend going to the vets and getting hm checked over, most vets (well mine do) do a free first consultation..where bouts do you live?

just looking, id call it an english rabbit, i dont know if that is the correct breeding name althogh alot of rabbits are cross bred so you can never be 100%

I live in Los Angeles. There's a vet just down the street, I doubt they do rabbits there, but I may be able to find out where I can go to get him looked at, I just haven't had the time yet, finals week and two jobs and all, lol. And thank you for the compliment, and letting me know what the term for his jumping is ^_^ As for him being well behaved, he does get a little upset with me occasionally. He found some bad patch jobs on the drywall in my room, and he liked to chew on that. I really doubt that's healthy so I stapled some cardboard over it, and that stopped him from doing it, but he tries to get under my bed so he can get at the wall under there, but i have it blocked off, so he tries to burrow under it, and when he can't, he gets upset and then chews on my computer wires which are right there... So far he's ruined my microphone, two mouses, and my phone charger >_< I was able to fix one of the mouses and my charger, but my mic still won't work, and i haven't tried the other mouse yet, lol. So now I keep all my wires up off the ground when i'm not in the room with him.

its natural for a rabbit to chew wires as in a burrow they think its roots. Best thing to do it get wire covers and block them off. You can go to ure local hardware store and pick up wire covers for a couple of quid...well worth it. Or a friend fed all hers under the carpet :shock::shock:
As for the wallpaper i personally have painted walls but know people on here are alwys suffering from there bunnies trying to "redecorate" :lol::lol::lol:
Im all the way over in Uk, so not sure bout american vets

Well, as long as I keep an eye on him, he's fine, he doesn't chew on my big wires, like my cable or internet, just smaller ones like I mentioned already, and just because they were right next to where he tried to burrow under my bed. I've kinda solved the burrowing thing by taking a box and cutting a hole in the side just big enough for him to get in, and putting a towel inside of that, he likes to go in there and chew on the side of the hole, lol.

Haha! I posted on another forum and somebody suggested that he might be a Rhinelander, or at least partly so. So I went and checked out a breeders site for that type and he does look strikingly similar, accept much much smaller, so I'm thinking that he might be a mix of a Rhinelander and a dwarf. But, I'm no expert, so if anybody else has any suggestions, I'm more than open to hearing them.

he's an old english. my baby is an old english x lop. the marks down his back and rings around his eyes are that of the old english breed. He is gorgeous by the way.

Well done for saving him!!!!
He is absolutely gorgeous :D
Everyone has anwered your questions above. :)

he's an old english. my baby is an old english x lop. the marks down his back and rings around his eyes are that of the old english breed. He is gorgeous by the way.

Hahaha, yeah, that actually works a lot better than the rhinelander theory... Thank you very much.

he is loverly i would say an english cross.. he looks young to me. i would get him booked in for his myxi injection usually around 10-15 pounds which should be done part in the skin(either neck or ear 10%) and the rest in the neck jsut ask how they will administer it to check it being done right that wy they will give him a free check up and you wont have to pay the consultation fee of £18 ish. they can check the sex for you (tho assume if you are calling it a he it has testicles already) . just in case its someone s lost loved pet you should put up posters locally saying rabbit found... then your number if then someone has lost the bun they can contact you to reclaim him dont put description as they will need to tell you so you can be sure its theirs(i only say this as we are sitll searching for our lost snowy we lost her in july we are sure someone has taken her in but cannot find her :( )

regarding the chewing this behaviour should decrease with neutering sometimes the rspca wil lgive you a money off neuter voucher if you have a low inocme or the pdsa?contact them. regarding neuters my vets charge £45 for a male so tis not too bad. at a later date you could get him a freind form a rescue(a speyed female of course) and they could be happy together! house buns wil sadly chew lots of things iv heard dove soap can sotp them doing so also put wires into hosepipe(garden type)and block off wireing this cant be done for especially keep phone chargers away... oh dear typical woman i am iv ramboled on again!!!! never mind.. well he looks gorgeous(rabbit before anyone thinks im hitting on you!!!!) whats his name? anyway speak soon glad you have joined us and rescued him! -kate x

Back