• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun not eating :( u/d seems to be picking up

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
Hi All,

Can anyone help with this, I'm at a loss here.
I have a 7 month old nethie male (neuteured at 5 months) and hes a lively house bun.
He is normally fed on a small amount of excel junior and dwarf which he usually loves and he always ate his soft poos and loved hay.
Then on Saturday morning i noticed that he left a few pellets, next day he left some more. Monday morning he hadn't touched them or had a drink from his bottle so i took him to the vet but couldn't see my regular vet as she wasn't on. The one i saw gave him a thorough check up and said he seemed fine and she'd just treat the symptons (which is not eating) with gut stimulants and she also gave him a course of baytril incase there was an infection setting in and some metacam incase he was in pain.
Monday night he drank a little and ate hay but not his pellets, so i took him back yesterday morning and saw my vet who checked him again and said he had some small spikes on his teeth, i left him with her and she did a dental, he had some small spikes on each side but no ulcers and they hadn't pierced the skin but she said they could be very uncomfortable and burred them down.
I got him back last night and gave him his pankiller and anitbiotics still but he's still not eating. I have no idea why? he has no temperature and has been checked by 2 vets? Do you think it may have been his teeth and he's sore from the dental? he wont even eat his favourite raisins? Though he has a little hay. Ive just phoned the vet again and im waiting for her to call me back. Im at work though and dont finish till 5 :( I did syringe feed him some soft pellets this morning. Any advice anyone?

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, a bunny of mine stopped eating as much as usual - just picking a food which was unusual. The vet did her teeth which did have little spurs on. But she still wasn't right 3 days later. I read about pineapple juice enzymes and it breaking down hair blockages and tried that and it worked for her within a couple of hours. I just let her drink a couple of syringe worths, and did so for a couple of days. There are people on here with lots more experience of poorly buns than me, but it's just a thought.

What about poos? Is he pooping ok? Are they normal size/shape etc?

Last edited:
I gave him some last night. He did pick up slightly, but not eating his pellets.
He is hopping around but just refuses food, speaking to the vet today she said the spikes werne't that bad so it may not have the been the reason for him not eating, but she hoped it was. If he doesn't pick up by tomorrow theres obviously something else going on with him :(

His mouth may still be sore. Is he eating anything at all? Homer was like this a couple of weeks ago with a sore mouth and I bought a load of different herbs, carrot tops, broccoli to try and tempt him. Try some grated carrot also. It was 24 hrs before Homer started to eat again If he is still not eating tomorrow he may need a gut stimulant again and get the vet to check him over.

Ask if you can give some more metacam too in case he is in pain.

Came home tonight and he'd eaten his parsley, i've syringed some more mushed pellets and cleaned out his cage and he ate some hay, so i'll see how it goes. Ive got to take him back to the vets tomorrow to see how he's getting on.
And ive gave him some pinapple juice too, he has had a few poos and theres no uneated soft poos.

Ah, that sounds more promising. I hope he continues to improve. Whenever mine are ill I just buy up anything that is green or orange in the veg section to tempt them. :lol::lol:

Last week when Homer was off his food, I let Katy back in with him and when he saw her yomping all the veg he looked disgusted in her and then started to join in. :lol::lol: Next thing I knew he ate some pellets which I was surprised at.

Hi hun,

Got up this morning and he'd ate his parsley and a few pellets. Theres hope he continues to pick up.
It must have been his teeth if he's picking up the day after his dental, I find it shocking as the vet said they were just a little spikey but not ulcerated or growing into the gums. He must be a very sensitive bun!

If there is any further changes, update it on the subject heading so people would know. Godspeed to a healthy recovery

Thanks hun,

Been back to the vets tonight and shes pleased with his recovery. He has just been eating some pellets but havn't seen him drink from his bottle yet, i will keep syringing him until he does. Thanks for everyones well wishes :)

Back