• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sitting here crying...a bit shocked final U/D post 12

huppie

Mama Doe
I have to give my bun injections to prevent infection - he has just started to develop sore hocks. :(

It was all going fine but the syringes exploded three times in a row! :shock: The vet made them up ready for me and they were kept in the fridge like she said. When I pressed the plunger the syringe came away from the bit with the needle and the liquid went everywhere!

I don't know what I did wrong, everything was done just like she showed me - I had a practice go in the vets. The needles were in properly because I had to take them out of his neck everytime.

He seems fine now, he had some food, a poo and is now cleaning himself as though nothing happened, meanwhile I'm in a total state of shock and everythings covered in antibiotics. :cry:

What happened? I am very sad :cry:

Emma

Last edited:
Maybe they were faulty needles? Or the fridge was too cold. Big hug, nice cup of tea and then back to the vets for you. You have to laugh about it or you will cry

Pre drawn up injections can cause the needle to block. Your Vet should have supplied you with a new needle to use. Also, leaving the injection to warm up a bit before administering it will make it less gloopy and therefore easier to inject.

:)

Aww Chick, I am completely traumatised from having to jab Rhia for months! Its horrendous, but alls I can say is it is so worth it, as Rhia is aaall better now :D We had loads of accidents (Cos she went crazy when i went near her neck, spose it was sore from all the jabs) and I even ended up in A&E :lol: - but stick at it, It will be completely worth it chick :thumb: XX

It's a good idea to let the liquid warm up a little bit before administering it but also to draw back on the needle first and then re-set the medication to the top.

Chin up chick - I've done the same thing before now and it's horrible sticky stuff to clean up! :lol: Give your vet a call and they'll give you some more if you need it - don't panic you're doing fine.x

This is what I did with my Depocillin injection yesterday, that and using the wrong sized needle shaft. I had to pre-order another dose to collect tomorrow.

What colour needle are you using? Some injections wotk better with different sizes.

Thanks everyone

I feel better now - am still a little shaky but I can see the positives now - we have 'snow' on the window byt the table where I medicate the buns. I managed to pick him up first time (he is a fighter, scratcher and squealer :roll: ) and the injections were no problem to actually get in the right place. All in all it could have been worse :lol:

It is also good to know I'm not a complete wally and that these things can happen!

The medicine is duopenicilinne (Dutch name) and is in a green injection. I rang the vet and they checked it was the right one. Apparently the medicine is very gloopy so 'this can happen sometimes'. Why they didn't warn me I don't know! Anyway, I have taken the injection out of the fridge to bring it to room temperature and in a few minutes I will have another go.

Fingers crossed

Emma

Last edited:
It's a good idea to let the liquid warm up a little bit before administering it but also to draw back on the needle first and then re-set the medication to the top.

Thanks heaps! I should draw back before injecting Rambaldi I am guessing? Just checking this is all new to me :oops:

I tried again and it failed - at least this time the syringe didn't explode.

When the plunger wouldn't go in I took the needle out of him and had a go at plunging the syringe while the needle was just in the air - I had to press so hard that I had to use the bit of the palm of my hand near my thumb and I have plunger indentations there! That is even though I did the plunging over 5 minutes ago!

I am guessing that the needles are indeed blocked. Great...now I have to trudge to the vets which is a 90 minutes round trip...:censored:

Emma

I have the same problem. The liquid is too thick, and the needle diameter is too small. In the end, all I need to do is to ask the vet to switch bigger diameter needle, so they don't jam at the insert point.

If you are giving Anti-biotics which is from the fridge, make sure you let it warm up for 15 min. before inject inside her
skin. One of the tech. taught me this trick as it's too cold to go inside the skin, the bun doesn't feel comfy.

The absolute best spot is the loose skin just behind the neck. See diagram

needle9sq.jpg

I'm just about to start a 3 week course of this for Flora. I've had it before and the syringes always used to bung up and explode. However, the vet assures me this batch is not as 'gloopy' as the last, to make sure it's room temperature and to give it a good shake prior to injecting (the penicillin - not the rabbit:lol:)

thank you all with knobs on!

I took Rambaldi back to the vet with me (I bribed a friend with a car...).

I saw the rabbit guru vet (and boss) this time and he said that I shouldn't have been given pre-filled injections of this stuff because it clogs up the needle, just as many of you have said!

He gave me a whole bottle plus syringes and gave me back the momey from the pre-filled ones. He also didn't charge me for last nights consultation - only the bottle of meds. Very nice. He is going to speak to the other vet and tell her not to hand out pre-filled syringes with this medicine in the future.

Yey! I don't feel such a failure now. Fingers crossed all the others go well...

Thank you all so much for your help yesterday!!!

Emma

I'm so glad the problem is now solved Emma. You must be relieved to know that at least it wasn't anything you were doing wrong. :)

Back