• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Causes of diarrhea?

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Can stress cause diarrhea? Parsnip has a good appetite, is alert and bright but yesterday was moved indoors to the conservatory from their shed to accompany his poorly sister (who doesn't have diarrhea). Aside from runny poos which started tonight, he appears fine.

I've found the info I was after on the internet. I'm pretty certain that stress has caused the loose poop but I'll be keeping a very close eye on Parsnip.

If it is diarrhea (sp?) then you should see a vet asap as they can go downhill quickly.

If it is softer than normal then it could be diet or stress. Cut back on any veg and try to encourage more hay eating. If it does not improve in a day or so take to the vet, fibreplex may also help if it is only minor tummy trouble.

Personnally I would take your bunny to the vet to get checked out either way.

Many thanks. Don't worry - I'm back at the vet tonight so he'll be going with me. He's getting fibreplex, plenty of hay and greens to tempt him - although his appetite is fine and he's bright and perky. I've had experience of stasis many times but never loose poo so it's a first for me. I am fairly certain it's just a stress thing but all necessary precautions will obviously be taken.

Homer was "loose" last year for 3-4 months and we changed him over to Oxbow Bunny basics T which did the trick (however, he will not eat hay). Might be worth considering if it is ongoing and there is nothing else underlying. Homer had all tests which came back negative.

Not entirely sure if it's the cecotrophs (sp!) but he only started being loose around 9pm last night so it could be. He's much, much better today as it happens and is happily eating hay, readigrass and some parsley. I've given him a couple of his usual SS pellets as a treat but he's put on too much weight so he's on a diet!

His sister is also much perkier having been on her penicillin for 24 hours now - also perky and eating - yay! Let's hope the worst is over.

Flora's much improved - bright and eating and Parsnip's poo is almost back to normal. A little small but nicely formed currents! They've both eaten loads of hay today and I'm giving fibreplex too to help offset the effects of the penicillin.

Back