• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help please!

ab1063

Warren Scout
miffys just been for her hysterectimy.
it went well.
shes eating and drinking, and shes got a hot water bottle keeping her warm.
she was quite lively but now shes just sitting, i'm keeping her warm.
shes ate a small amount of hey and a small amount of water.
i think she may have done a wee wee but not any poo..
surely after 2ish hours she should have pooed?
help?

You could try just moving her around and making her hop. This can sometimes help move the gut. Other than that, I haven't got much else as advice.

my buns pooped by 24 hours but not nessacerily before d you know if she was given a gut stimulant? if not you could get some? and regarding the eating and keeping warm thats really good... you could try letting her hop in a very small confined area to get her gut moving a bit but i personally would wait the 12-24 hours for poop to come :)

Did she have any painkillers apart from the anaesthetic drugs. Pain is one of the biggest cause of post op gut stasis. If you are not sure, phone your vet and ask. Goodluck

If she's only been home 2 hours and you've already seen her eat a bit then I think that's as much as you can expect for now :) It's a pretty major operation in some ways, so it's hardly surprising that buns feel a bit poorly and don't fancy eating straight away afterwards - I'm sure none of us would fancy a huge curry straight after a hysterectomy!

Just keep her warm for now, leave her with some tasty tempting treats and a bowl (not just a bottle) of water, and some peace and quiet, and I'm sure she'll pick up in her own time. I wouldn't try and move a bun around on the same day as a spay. 2 hours is nothing - if there's no poop/eating by tomorrow morning then I'd say ring the vets and ask about going back probably for some more painkiller/gut stimulant but it all sounds pretty normal for now :)

I would'nt expect to see anything for at least 12-24 hours, 2 hours is a bit too soon.

Lola didn't poo for at least 24-36 hours, and would only eat hay and veg for at least a week. She only ate her pellets 10 days after the op.

Try her with some fresh herbs hun such as Basil , coriander , parsley thats all my 2 ate for the first day and half :wave:

thanks everyone!
i can stop panicking now.
regards to the water bowl, i did give her one and as she drank from it shes gotten herself all wet, any ways i can prevent this?
unfortuneatly i don't have a small dish,
i'm going to give her some cucumber as the high water content should hydrate her and hopefully get her gut moving.
she was given painkillers via injection during the op, and i was told these would do her.

She's had the right meds then, so it sounds as if she just needs a little rest after her big op and hopefully she'll be feeling much better in the morning :)

I'm sure she will be feeling much better by tomorrow.
make sure her cage is clean tonight and then in the morning you will know if she has passed any feaces or not...if there is nothing in the morning then contact your vet to see if she can have another shot of metaclopromide & pain killer.

For now I'm sure all she will feel like doing is sleeping.

Back