• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any Same-Sex pairs that are a bit grumpy? U/D

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Milly and Molly are sisters and they have always been like a grumpy old couple. Milly is dominant, but sometimes they love each other, and sometimes they are chasing each other around and being quite moody. They are both spayed. I always find that they usually get grumpy if they are kept in their hutch for a day or two, so I try to get them into their run as often as I can. I don't know if this is anything to worry about? Is there anyway I could make Molly's life easily?

Can you get a permanently attached run, sounds like they get fed up being in the hutch and need there own space. My Poppy get grumpy with Sweetpea if I so much as put them in the dog crate with a pen attached :roll:

Hmmmm well it does sound like a space issue so if you can't provide them more space I am not sure what else to suggest, do they have anything they can hide in, boxes etc? I would at least make sure they get a good few hours run everyday.

They go into their run every day (in the school holidays) from 8am-4pm cos of daylight. When I'm at college, they go in the run 4 days a week for the same time. And in the summer, they go in there from 8am-7pm. In the summer, they do seem less grumpy. They have no boxes to hide in. Should I get some? How many? How big? Where can I get them?

How high off the ground is the hutch? Might it be possible to just make an extra height run (or make some kind of addition to a normal run) so that one of the doors can fully open into it with a ladder attached?

How high off the ground is the hutch? Might it be possible to just make an extra height run (or make some kind of addition to a normal run) so that one of the doors can fully open into it with a ladder attached?

I think it's about the same height as my normal run or maybe slightly bigger, but the run is 5ft across, and the hutch is 6ft across.

Would you be able to save up and get a new hutch with attached run? If you can't put them out everyday I really think it's the best option, or speak to a carpenter and see if he can convert your current hutch/run.

Poppy has her own spot in our room where the other buns can't get to and she always goes there when she has had enough of the others...if she can't get away from them she gets grumpy!

Does it really matter about daylight, as at the moment, I'm bringing them in before it gets dark. When I'm at college, I leave home at 7am and get home at 4-6pm when it's dark. I don't mind putting them out at these times, if it's safe. They are right next to the house with a security light. Is this safe enough for them to be out when it's dark? Could this solve the problem?

I think that would partly depend on exactly what run it is and what shelter it has. Could a fox pull the run apart? Dig under it? Turn it over? Does it have adequate shelter (i.e. not just a box type with a hole in the front, which isn't sufficient for keeping warm in cold strong winds) if the weather turns very cold, wet and windy during the day when you're out?

Ok, I'll see what I can do about it. They are going out all this week so I'll see if their behaviour improves. Should I still provide a hiding place?

The run has a cover over at all sides, and I usually (in this cold weather), only put two flaps up for warmth and air flow. It's on concrete with hay on top and it's pretty heavy. The wire is quite strong I'd say too.

Have you got any photos, or is it a standard run that you can link to a pic of?

I don't really think that a cover alone provides enough proper shelter, it doesn't stop draughts getting through and doesn't give somewhere for the buns to snuggle right into if they want to escape the cold and wind...and of course a box/mini hutch etc provides them with a 'bolt hole' to help them feel more secure :)

I can't, as it's on legs. The hutch is 6ftx2ft.

aha i have the solution.. .around the legs at bottem you need to put mesh attatch as you would to a run so cant get out using that... then buuild a ramp out of wood or make some steps from bricks.. mine use ramps or steps therees is also on legs.. then make the run so it attatches to the hutch and bolts on (so you can remove it if you want i have teh ssides of mine folding so that i can walk into it easier rather than climbing over it as its a bit high (im scared i will get stuck on the top. oh and my lid folds in half and is padlocked onto it! :)

Mine go in their run when it is dark, but only if I am downstairs with the curtains open so I can see it. They stay out til about 8pm when I close the curtains. My boys do chase when they are in their hutch, but the also do it when in their run. I think it is a dominance thing, and also they play chase.

regarding bolt hole definatly you can get some great small hutches as run shelters and also you can use a pet carrier too pput a tunnel in side the run and toys for more fun or a cardboard box if not raining! more fun for the bunnys too!!!

regarding same sex pairs yup mine used to get grumy with each other now and again but alwasy righted themselves lots of space is key i think x

Is this bunny size house a good size?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/accessories/cabins/36373

Or this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/accessories/cabins/81254

And here is the run:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm228/Milly_Molly1907/DSCF18221.jpg
And also the covers fold down.

The pet shop where I work has some good small hutches, like 2-3ft. May look at those. The problem is that the girls jump on top of the hutches and as it's roofing felt is rough on their feet and develops bald patches. Anything I can do to solve that?

I have 2 lady bunnies both spayed who get pretty grumpy with each other. They do groom each other and stuff, but there's also plenty of chasing, especially at feeding times. Mine have a permanent run under the hutch so I think its a dominance thing, even when they have the space :)

Back