• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding EC bunnies?

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any expereince with this?

Plum has EC she lived in a group of 4 and all but her died last year from EC, i had no idea until i made my vets test for ec. I had both Lavender and Plum tested after Wilbur and Hester died, they passed at seperate times and seemingly from different explainable illnesses. Lavender and Plum were fine for a little while then one day my mum went out to see the buns and Lavender was flopped right over and couldn't get up, we had her PTS and since Plum has been alone. I can not moraly bond Plum with any other bun unless i know it has EC, so i have never tried to re-bond her. She gets a regular dose of panacur and has no symptoms at all, but i am terrified that should i decide to get her a friend the bonding process would just be too much. Plum is 5 years old and is a very shy girl, she's not much on humans but does like other buns male or female.

Well given that 50% of Pet Rabbits will test positive for having had contact with EC (but be asymptomatic) then we could all have unknowingly bonded a 'carrier'.

I would attempt to find Plum a friend and then regularly treat both of them with Fenbendazole- ie a 9 day course 4 times a year :)

Well given that 50% of Pet Rabbits will test positive for having had contact with EC (but be asymptomatic) then we could all have unknowingly bonded a 'carrier'.

I would attempt to find Plum a friend and then regularly treat both of them with Fenbendazole- ie a 9 day course 4 times a year :)

Jane, when i had Lavender and Plum tested my vet told me it was likely that 98% of my rabbits would be carrying EC, having not had them tested i can't be 100%. But i know Plum has it and therefore would prefer to find her a bun with EC, im just a little scared that the stress could just make it all worse and loose her???

Well I guess you'd need to blood test any prospective adoptee. Two tests are needed, 3 weeks apart I think. Any who test negative in both would not be suitable. But that could prove to be very expensive.
You may be able to find a Bun with a known history of confirmed EC.

With regards to the stress of bonding, Plum may also feel stressed alone if she is a very Bunny orientated soul.

Or do i just say ****** it and bond her in with Molly and Reuben who would accept her no problem, and just not worry about it? or theres eva and ron who'd accept her.

Didn't your buns used to share an exercise area anyway?...if so they'll probably all carry it (sorry if I'm thinking of somebody else)

Didn't your buns used to share an exercise area anyway?...if so they'll probably all carry it (sorry if I'm thinking of somebody else)

They used to years ago, when i had very large groups but all those buns have since passed, for the last 3 years all the rabs have had seperate hutches and run spaces Plum has never met any of the buns with me heer except through the wire.

this was the consoling fact that my vet decided to throw in, that it was likely most of them were carrying it anyway.

Or do i just say ****** it and bond her in with Molly and Reuben who would accept her no problem, and just not worry about it? or theres eva and ron who'd accept her.

Could you test Molly and/or Reuben to see if they're carriers?

Could you test Molly and/or Reuben to see if they're carriers?

At £40 a pop not really, i also think that i would just worry alot! if they turned out to be carriers, plus Molly is coming 8 and my vet will only give her a sedative if there is no other alternative.

But to adopt another bun, have vaccs etc would probably stretch to at least £40 if not more - plus it gives you some idea of whether the vet's theory on your other buns being carriers is right. Is Reuben OK to be tested? I'd assume if one of them had it then the other would too, living together (or if they don't then it goes to show that the likelihood of them catching it off Plum is low)

But to adopt another bun, have vaccs etc would probably stretch to at least £40 if not more - plus it gives you some idea of whether the vet's theory on your other buns being carriers is right. Is Reuben OK to be tested? I'd assume if one of them had it then the other would too, living together (or if they don't then it goes to show that the likelihood of them catching it off Plum is low)

Good piont, and reuben is fit and healthy so could have him tested, if he's a carrier them Molly will be as well good thinking batman! gosh i never think straight! :lol:

:lol:
I think it would be money well spent, even if it does sting a bit, at least you'll know - so should you unfortunately need to bond any of your other buns in the future you'll have a better idea of whether they may be carriers too

I would echo what Jane has said..as most buns would test positive for EC..just find her a partner..
I would ewash down her area with a bleach solution before putting her and partner back in..and treat both buns with panaucur for 28 days upon new buns arrival....then treat regularly after that:D

I would echo what Jane has said..as most buns would test positive for EC..just find her a partner..
I would ewash down her area with a bleach solution before putting her and partner back in..and treat both buns with panaucur for 28 days upon new buns arrival....then treat regularly after that:D

Kay has just said the smae to me on PM, i'm starting to think i worry to much, i should start smoking again i never worried this much then :lol:

So EC in a group isn't a big deal? I'm just worried now cos Joey is falling over, & then there's Alfie's uidentified weightloss (although he's back to a normal weight). Joey has a vet visit tonight

it can be a big deal..but if we said no bun that has shown to have been in contact with Ec can ever be bonded then 80% of buns would end up living alone

If a bun shows signs and has not had treatment , and is very poorly then obviously they should be quarantined.....but if a bun has shown symptoms..been treated for at least 4 weeks with panacur..and yep 6 weeks is preferable...their area has been bleached and there grass area not re used for 6 months ..and the bun shows signs of improvement ..then I would say get them a partner..
again..re panacur both when new bun arrives

If you follow the cleaning /panacuring routine you are lowering the risk of active Ec being spread..that..in my opinion..is the best you can do

Back