• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange Question feeding hay

kelster6911

Young Bun
Hello

has anyone ever had this problem or is there any easy way to solve it??

I am getting an indoor giant rabbit which once litter trained i was hoping to not have a cage and letit have free roam of the Kitchen. I have a big dome cat bed thing with a hole in the front which i was going to use as a safe and secure 'den' for them to have as a hidy hole. But my question is how do i offer hay as food as i wont be able to have a hay rack, is it ok to put the hay in the hidy hole and if so would they eat it or use it as bedding?? just wondered if any one has suggestions so i can feed hay without a rack as i wont have anywhere to hang it.

thanks

I never use hay racks personally.

I use cat litter trays or dog beds with newspaper, Megazorb and then the pile of hay on top.

Rabbits will chew, wee and poop (as well as sleep) in the same litter tray - this is normal.

I'd just provide a big old plastic litter tray fill it with litter (not shavings) and hay and watch bunny munch!:D

If you put hay in the dome thingy, you'll have wee and poo in it.

If you put hay in the dome thingy, you'll have wee and poo in it.[/QUOTE]

this is what i was afraid of but i am happy to hear i can just feed in thier litter tray great stuff !!!:D

I do have some bunnies that just like to poop everywhere but nearly all just go in their tray. I don't actually mind if they leave the odd 'bumble' as we call them as they go, but if you give your bun a litter tray, then the wee will certainly go in there I am sure.

Let us know how you get on!:D

You can hay balls also you could clip up onto something, or just little baskets around with hay in, plus litter tray.

I have hay racks on side of dog crate and then hay in there litter tray plus use hay balls which they love :lol:

I used this wooden bread tray for Simba (behind him)
Simba01.jpg

Hay balls
freedom9.jpg

Litter tray
rabdreama1.jpg

Mine love to sit in the hay they are eating, so definitely agree with the litter tray.
I also use baskets and willow balls to put hay in.

Mine do not eat hay from hay racks or balls, so I put it all over the floor. As they are outdoor bunnies, I use hay as bedding to provide warmth. I also put hay into their run as well as a substrate.

My rabbit is completely free range so I had the problem of not having anywhere to hang a hay rack. TeddyPatches has a very large litter tray thoguh so there is room to put hay in one corner and him to not get it messy! He also has another bowl which I fill with hay so he's always got some clean hay to munch on :) ... needless to say the hay is also all over the house! :lol: messy buns!

:D
If you put hay in the dome thingy, you'll have wee and poo in it.[/QUOTE]

what about shredded paper so it can be a 'nest' or would that encourage toilet mess???

and if so would you put anything in the dome or just leave it as it is

I actually think that by putting paper into anything it encourages them to mark and toilet. If you decide to use shredded paper, please don't use paper shredded into strips as it can wrap round legs and can cut buns legs.:( Cross cut shredded might be okay but I am always worried in case buns eat it.:D

thanks for that tip i have read on afew other sites that paper is good for tunnels etc but i will stay clear!

i suppose another alternative is a blanket i would assume that is a safe suggestion or a cushion, what would you use???

How about like a cat bed or a dog bed? obviously it's gonna be the size of a small dog for him to lie on, binx loves my bean bag and normally chills out on it before he heads off to bed and in his cage he has a dog blanket (just 1 from home bargains) and i use an old shoe to put hay in :lol: obviously cleaned out n stuff!
u always find things around the house that u subsitute for things u can buy in pet shops

Washing up bowls are quite good for hay i got that idea from Minimack who just bonded my bunny for me :wave:

Back