• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail clipping tips please

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
I finally decided to try and clip the bunnies nails at the weekend. I did my previous bunny's claws regularly, but he used to sit very still in my arms and not move at all so it was simple.

We started with Bubbles but it was a complete disaster. I think dh finally managed to cut her front ones but I'm not sure if we missed any. Bubbles was so distressed by the whole thing; we even tried to get her in a bunny burrito but we couldn't even get as far as getting the towel around her because she was wriggling that much. She's so tiny I think that made it worse because there's nothing of her to grab hold of & I'm scared of hurting her. :roll: She's been quite wary of me the last couple of days too, so the last thing I want to do is carry on with it and end up with her hating me. :(

Sooooo, any tips on how to hold them still? And what's the best way of actually holding them so you can get at their feet? Bubbles was so tense that, even when she was still, we couldn't get her front feet away from under her chin.

I asked at the vets but it's £15 per bun for them to do it :shock::shock: so I'd rather try to find a way of doing it myself without too much anguish (both for bunnies and me :lol::lol:)

Are you able to put either of your rabbits on their backs and hold them like a baby? I can do this a fair umber of mine, they go into a sort of trance and don't move. That or wrapped tightly in a towel are the only two ways i can suggest

No advice I'm afraid, I'm a total coward. I did by the claw cutter from the pet shop but have only done one claw then chickened out :oops:

Esme will be having hers done at the vets this week, last time it was £7 (the nurses do it) but not sure now as I think the prices have gone up a bit.

I really do need to learn how to do it, I think I need to get the vet to show me rather than just do it for me.

Good luck with getting it done, I could do with learning any tips on this thread as it would be good to do them myself (thought the vets trips for claws usually coincide with jabs so not too stressful).

Are you able to put either of your rabbits on their backs and hold them like a baby?

I tried with Bubbles but she made a funny snorting noise that scared us both :shock: so we tipped her back up the right way. :oops: I'm sure she knew both dh and I were nervous about the whole thing and that was probably making her worse so I'm going to give myself a few days to get over it :lol: and try again.

Alfie might be alright if I cradle him like you suggested, so I might try with him first to build my confidence up again.

No advice I'm afraid, I'm a total coward. I did by the claw cutter from the pet shop but have only done one claw then chickened out :oops:

Ahhhh, you got one claw done though - you should have kept going. ;) Easy for me to say, seeing as I'm the one asking for tips now. :lol::lol: I just feel so inadequate because when we got Bubbles the lady at the rescue trimmed her nails before she left and she did it single handedly! We can't even do it with two of us. :oops:

Well, after seeing the newly qualified (I presume) vet just trim Esme's claws - that particular vet is not going anywhere near my bunnies again :shock: She made no attempt at the dew claws (probably was unaware of them), the angles she pulled her through:shock: - never again. I didn't mention dew claws because I couldn't bear to see her attempt them. :evil: It may be the sight that has made me take the confidence to do it myself.

*Will be reading this thread to gain the knowledge and confidence to try myself*

awww hun i feel your stress :( i have no advice whatsoever as you will know :oops::oops:

my plan with ours is for ste to hold them as if they are sitting and i will hold the feet still and clip (it did seem to work when i got the tufties out of alvins feet but not even dared to buy clippers yet) not sure ill ever get the courage if i cant win alvin around to my way of thinking

theres loads of videos on the net showing us how people do it. might be easier if you can see how its done rather than read text :D

good luck :D

Boris always gets his nails cut by the vet,I've never really tried myself because I'm afraid I might hurt him :oops:

I've done claws, only Charlies though as he is wraped in a towel upside down twice daily anyway.

One thing I came accross on the net was if you shine a torch though a dark claw you can see the 'wick'. And you have to be brave. Even though I knew Charlie is ok upside down I was still bricking it.

where abouts are you in essex? i do mine every 4 months and thats 4 buns so ive got quite used to it, and i do the boarders when they are too long too if its nessacery!

where abouts are you in essex? i do mine every 4 months and thats 4 buns so ive got quite used to it, and i do the boarders when they are too long too if its nessacery!

I'm in Grays but I'm not sure how far that is from you. :?

I need to be braver as I know it's me making them worse. I'm not scared of the cutting itself, I just don't want to pull them about too much and snap their legs off. :lol: Bunny buddy, the vet sounds awful - I'm not sure I want to pay £30 to have them pull my babies around like that. :(

I did just have a quick check of Alfie nails & they don't look overly long but I'm not sure if that's because they're dark; I shall try the torch trick. With Bubbles, it's easy to see the quick and tell how much they've grown. Neither of them have claws that are past the fur on their feet, I have to part the fur to see them, so they're not suffering yet.

Donna, I'll have a search for some videos and let you know if I find some good ones that don't involve actually holding the bunny. :lol: I saw one a while ago but I think it was aimed at bigger bunnies because the lady cradled it upside down and tucked it's head under her armpit - Bubbles is so small I could fit her whole body under my armpit. :shock:

Suggestion

How about going to your local rescue centre. Ark in Twickenham and Greenwich Rescue are brilliant. Maybe there is one near to you, I am sure would be happy to either do it or show you for a carrot or two!

That's a good idea. :) I'm going to have another go at the weekend, with dh's help & will see how it goes. :? :lol:

I'm in Grays but I'm not sure how far that is from you. :?

I need to be braver as I know it's me making them worse. I'm not scared of the cutting itself, I just don't want to pull them about too much and snap their legs off. :lol: Bunny buddy, the vet sounds awful - I'm not sure I want to pay £30 to have them pull my babies around like that. :(

I did just have a quick check of Alfie nails & they don't look overly long but I'm not sure if that's because they're dark; I shall try the torch trick. With Bubbles, it's easy to see the quick and tell how much they've grown. Neither of them have claws that are past the fur on their feet, I have to part the fur to see them, so they're not suffering yet.

Donna, I'll have a search for some videos and let you know if I find some good ones that don't involve actually holding the bunny. :lol: I saw one a while ago but I think it was aimed at bigger bunnies because the lady cradled it upside down and tucked it's head under her armpit - Bubbles is so small I could fit her whole body under my armpit. :shock:

its not that far, im near Maldon, Great Totham. If you fancy any help then let me know ill be happy too!

we dont actually 'hold' mine theyve got so good (with the exception of the jelly monster) they sit on my lap, and then my mum will just hold them up ever so slightly and we clip them. they behave well if idont stress them!

but honestly if you want a helping hand to try first time il;l be happy to help!

its not that far, im near Maldon, Great Totham. If you fancy any help then let me know ill be happy too!

we dont actually 'hold' mine theyve got so good (with the exception of the jelly monster) they sit on my lap, and then my mum will just hold them up ever so slightly and we clip them. they behave well if idont stress them!

but honestly if you want a helping hand to try first time il;l be happy to help!

Thank you so much, I will definitely keep it in mind. :love: Hopefully just knowing that help is there if I don't succeed will give me the confidence to do it myself. :lol:

when you travelling to brum then :p

Back