• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oxytetracycline (by injection).

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me the dose & frequency for Oxytetracycline? Rob said he hadn't used it to treat snuffles before so would need to look into it....I thought seen as I heard about it on here someone might have an idea (or failing that a link I could look at).

I have a bottle on order, hopefully for collection tomorrow.

Last edited:
Do you mean oxytetracycline (engemycin or terramycin).

I don't know if it comes in different strengths, but I use the long acting variety and both Santa and Eddie (1.2kg and 1.8kg) have 0.2ml once every 3 days, so I guess it's about 0.1ml of the solution per kg and my two are having it rounded up. My vet also says she will occasionally do it every 2.5 days if it's an infection that needs particularly aggressive treatment.

Good luck with it, it's made such a huge difference for my two :)

Do you mean oxytetracycline (engemycin or terramycin).

I don't know if it comes in different strengths, but I use the long acting variety and both Santa and Eddie (1.2kg and 1.8kg) have 0.2ml once every 3 days, so I guess it's about 0.1ml of the solution per kg and my two are having it rounded up. My vet also says she will occasionally do it every 2.5 days if it's an infection that needs particularly aggressive treatment.

Good luck with it, it's made such a huge difference for my two :)

Yeah I do, I have been calling it that all day for some reason....I even wrote it down so I asked for the right drug! :roll:

Thanks Alison, I really hope this does the trick for the poor old girl. Lex weighs 1.6kg so I guess she would be on 0.2ml as well.

From 'Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine' by Richard Saunders and Ron Rees Davies:

Oxytetracycline 50mg/kg orally every 12 hours

Oxytetracycline Long-acting preparation 30mg/kg by intra-muscular injection every 3 days

:)

Sounds about right - my vet said she did some research and also found out that the LA is fine to give either s/c or i/m, I do it s/c and it works perfectly well :) (FHB book also says either s/c or i/m)

I've also heard anecdotally that the use of bisolvon with oxytetracyclines can increase their effectiveness and affinity for lung tissue, so as bisolvon is also useful in the treatment of snuffles and is pretty non-toxic, it might be worth giving some of that daily too. I tend to mix a pinch with a drop of echinacea and a little water and Santa will lap it straight from the syringe :)

Ah thats good, I was planning on giving it S/C as, TBH, there isn't a lot of muscle on Lexie at the moment...so it would have been a bit tricky to be accurate.

I'll see how we go before opting to use Bisolvin, as her discharge isn't always thick and it dosn't affect her breathing currently, it's just that it's constant.

Thanks Jane, I'll write it down and take it with me tomorrow...I seem to have a memory issue at the moment :roll::lol:.

Back