• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me!!!!!

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Bailey is very poorly at the moment with urine scald that is GETTING WORSE (all puss coming out :( ) and she also has an ulcer in her eye.
She had an appointement at the vets today and has some more baytrill and has been given some metecam for the pain. My heart is breaking for her she is in such a mess her behind is so sore and her eye is white it is that cloudy.
So far her vet bills have cost 150 and I dont begrudge a penny of it but she is getting worse not better and they dont know what is causing it. She was tested for EC last time she had it and the results came back as negetive. I feel torn at the moment I think there is a very fine line between giving up and making her suffer. She is in a right mess, is getting no better even after treatment, they dont know what is causing it and she has lost weight but on the other hand she is still eating and hasnt lost her spirit. What am I to do for the best, rabbits dont show when they are not well do they? She is back at the vets on fri I will have to have a chat with them, the vets havent mentioned pts but I dont know if they would. I feel emotionally drained, it is so hard to have to keep poking and proding her all day when she must be in so much pain but on the other hand I know it has to be done.

WHAT SHOULD i DO?????

Im really sorry to hear Bailey isn't any better :(

If she has pus coming out with the urine (are you sure it's not mucus?), then she'll have an internal infection...possibly a uterine infection. Is she spayed? Can the vet feel any internal discomfort?

The pus isnt coming out with the urine, it is coming from her skin because of the infection from the urine scald and her fur is coming away with it. She has been spayed. The nurses cleaned her up again today, I had washed her last night and she was worse today :cry: I feel torn I want to stop her pain but then think am I just giving up.

That sounds really worrying. I've never known a rabbit actually get open sores or pus from urine scald.

Have you clipped the affected area and applied barrier cream? I know it's almost impossible to dry off an incontinent rabbit in order to be clipped, but I've always done mine gradually with nail scissors.

If her skin is infected, I think you're going to need something other than oral baytril to get on top of the infection.

Did you ask your vet about trying hormone treatment or propalin syrup?

She hasnt got open sores as such but had lots of pus all over her underneath if that makes sense! Now she is mosly bald on her underneath and it is very red and sore, I have a barrier cream and metacam for painrelief. She just doesnt seem to be drying at all, I clean her wet patch out everyday, she isnt sitting in it and the bottom of her feet arent wet but she just doesnt seem to dry. I just feel so sorry for her, her eye is a mess too.

Poor Bailey, she is one of my favorite RU bunnies.

It is possible that the pus could be coming from an infected scent gland. Are her genitals swollen at all?
I know it sounds horrible but is it possible to get a piccy of it without hurting her?
I have had a bunny with this problem before and it became very painful for her to wee, she had to put herself in a strange position which might be what is causing the urine burn in the first place :?

Is it definitely not myxi?

To get results for EC you often have to test more than once too - I am on my 2nd test with one of my buns - & he will have a third. Then I'm going to panacur as a precaution anyway (It's a year since I last did everyone).

Are you using any cream on her backend?

I'd speak to your vets about a stronger anti-biotic too

Back