• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new hutch/run

Personally hun, I think it's way too small for two medium sized bunnies. I've seen these 'in the flesh' so to speak and they're not nearly as big as they look in the picture. The overall footprint size is only 2ft 8" x 6ft and the hutch element is only 2ft 8" x 2ft 8". For the money, you'd be better investing in a 6ft x 4ft shed attached to a 6ft x 4ft run (or bigger if you've got space).

If someone was upgrading from a 3ft hutch then I'd say it was fab but if you're starting from scratch, you can spend your money more wisely on something much better.

I agree with Mackers - a friend of mine bought one of these and when I saw it, I couldn't believe how small it was. There are a lot of bigger hutches around for a lot less money. Have you considered a shed?

I am looking at getting a new hutch/run combo for my 2 medium sized buns and have seen this one.

http://www.bitsforpets.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=3167

Was just wondering if any one else had one like this or had any reccomendations.

Think an area of 50 sq ft for 2 buns up to 2.5kg each (including a safe secure well insulated "hutch area")

For every 0.5kg over this weight add 10 sq ft to the calculation.

These measurements you should deem to be a minimum.

Alan.

Overall it's 6ft x 2.5ft so it would need an extra run attached to it, so you could make it work if you needed it.

you can buy 1 a these for 172 pound and my o/h built a 5x5 run on the side for a extra 25 pound they have loads a room then :)
PIC_0038.jpg
This is with attached run
PIC_0005.jpg

Last edited:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-5-x-29-Ra...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 if you are no good with a hammer. I bought one like this for 46 plus postage.

I have also bought their 5ftx2ftx2ft double hutch, which is only 4ft short of the space provided by a 6x4ft shed. However my plan is to join both, plus another run to a playhouse like Wendle's.

Emma1 I only started with Rabbits in August. I would have to say the best advice on here is

If you unsure ask,

Buy the biggest you can afford, even if it means saving a bit longer, don't make the mistake I did (see below)

And WATCH OUT BUNNY KEEPING IS ADDICTIVE!!!

My first hutch in August was a 4ftx18inchx18 inch with under run (due to not asking, I didn't know 6ftx2ftx2ft was the minimum you could keep a bun in), I soon bought my 5ft double, plus one run in Sept/Oct. I am now getting a play house and another run. This is to Acc Charlie, my original bun, and his wife Autumn. And Sophie+1 once the weather warms up.

Edited: Just figured out Ive spend over 300 pounds since August on Hutches and runs, just to recify my initial mistake of not buying big enough!!

I just bought another playhouse o/h nearly got it all insulated and everything cant wait till friday :love:

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice, I have since found this website
http://www.mrbuns.co.uk/ and spoke to Nigel the guy who makes the hutches. The size I wanted wasn't on the site but he was really helpful and is making something up for my own spec. It costs a little bit more but its worth it to get the extra room and have 2 happy bunnies! :D

Oh please please please don't anyone buy that hutch!

I bought one for my two rabbits thinking it looked big and versatile and when it arrived it was:

1. Far far too small - pics make it look bigger so its easy to ignore the measurements - yet it was still too heavy to move around a lawn. Living area is v. small.

2. Made out of very very very poor quality thin wood with no insulating benefit at all.

3. Badly designed in so many ways. I realised the window in the sleeping area just let the wind and cold in and the poor quality of the wood would have made it impossible to fit a wooden cover to it. There is a pull out tray to clean it out but it doesn't pull out unless you have literally 1cm of bedding so you have to pull out all hay and bedding by hand. The ramp to the run is very narrow and the space to squeeze out is not big enough either.

4. Extreemly poor quality. Nearly every bit of it broke within weeks - no exaggeration. My rabbit kicked the base through twice, tray swelled and wouldn't come out, all the locks broke, the sliding door etc and it was a nightmare to clean out as there is no full access to the sleeping area. In the end the suppliers (same place your link goes to) gave me a full refund without any argument.

I must say though that the rescue I adopted my rabbits from thought it was wonderful when they did the home visit and even phoned me to get details of where I bought it from. Now I have some hands on experience of keeping rabbits I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy one.

Back