• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Trai.. yeah you know

Dustbunny

Warren Scout
Haha this is probably the most repeated thread in the entire forum (i searched but couldn't find an answer) and I know I haven't been at it for too long, but thought i'd ask anyway :lol:

Our french lop girlie isn't spayed and we've had her for about 12 days. She's taken to weeing in the litter box very well- a day after and she had it down. She doesn't use it all the time, but over 90% i'd say and hopefully that'll improve over time (it's only been a week and a half- i'm not that ambitious!) Problem is, she refuses to poo in it. She's in our kitchen and we clean up after her quite often (for hygiene reasons if nothing else), then pop them in the litter tray. Absolutely no progress has been made whatsoever. She isn't a big hay fan (will eat it but when she feels like it) and doesn't eat it that much to poo in a certain corner where the hay is- it drops as she binkys around, flops out, sits happily, or is just hopping over to see you- there's no consistency to where she goes. I'm hoping that by putting it in the box she'll eventually get it, as we'd love to have her free range in the house, but so far nothing at all.. advice? suggestions?

:wave: I'm afraid the answer to your query lies in the two little words "isn't spayed". Unneutered bunnies will poop to mark their territory; while you may have some success, the only real way to get really good litter training is spaying :)

but mine are spayed, aaaaaaaaaaages ago, and they still do it! :roll: so there just isnt any answer for me then?? :(

Is it their normal 'home' they are doing it in, or is it somewhere separate to their normal base?

In their home - they have a wendy house. I think Phoenix is pretty much fully trained but indi poos all over the floor and now (last few days) right next to their bed on the shelf. also occasionally in their bed grrr!! have tried all sorts of stuff to litter train her/them but doesnt seem to work.i know they can tho because they never pee in my house and use the litter tray i bring in for them, even to poo in! why the difference???:?:

ooh mine are like that too, they poo everywhere in their own enclosure, I even find them in the water bowl :shock: but only a few little escapees when they are hopping around the rest of my house v strange?!

Mine were spayed a year ago and they still leave poos everywhere, especially in their run. Thankfully they only wee in certain places, and they do mainly do their poos and wees in their litter tray.

Hmmmm...ok here's a new hypothesis :lol:

I don't know age/sex/neuter status of Boudicca's buns (sorry :oops:) but the other two are both female-female pairings. Maybe a small amount of hierachy remains with some same sex pairings even after neuter - and one or more of the buns still feels the need to mark the territory with poops?

Hmmmm...ok here's a new hypothesis :lol:

I don't know age/sex/neuter status of Boudicca's buns (sorry :oops:)

That's OK, they are 3months, male female pair, both unneutered at the mo, my little man will be sorted in 2 weeks, I'm hoping that will improve things :D I just thought it was funny that they poo all over their own place but not outside which is still technically theirs too...great for me though, so I'm not complaining!

my rabbit is NOT speyed(will be after tomorrow) and she is litter trained 100%. she doesn't poop or pee to mark territory.

Back