• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possibly blind bunny

nottslady

Young Bun
Hello one and all,

I don't really know where to put this post, so sorry if it is in the wrong section. Here is the story so far. A friend of mine has a young irresponsible/ ignorant sister who decided she wanted a rabbit. The albino bunny is just under a year old. She is not sure of the sex, but thinks it is female. She believes the bunny is blind, although hasn't been to the vets regarding this. The sister believes she is now allergic to the bunny (and coincidentally the bunny no longer likes to be picked up, so is not cuddly anymore). She says she loves the rabbit but realises she is not giving the bunny the time or attention it deserves.
Here is my question: I am willing to take on the rabbit, as I already have two (seperated at the moment as brother and sister, but will be together after speying this crimbo), but what do I do about the possibility of blindness? I would take the rabbit to the vets ASAP to see if the bunny is actually blind, but then how do I manage this? I would be taking on the hutch it currently lives in so it would not have to get used to other living quarters. Do I need anything special to help the bunny if it is blind?

The other big problem with the little bunny is that the current owner has the rabbit outside at night time, but brings him/her in during the day so its winter coat is shot to pieces I imagine. How can I help the little thing get over this. I have told her not to bring the bunny inside during the winter months, but wondered if there is anything else I can do.

Sorry for the wordy essay, but could really use some expert help on this.

Thank you for any help, it will be gratefully received
Nottslady xxxx

REW rabbits (Red Eyed Whites) are well known for their remarkably poor eyesight which often leads to them participating in an action known as 'scanning' when the head moves slowly from side to side in an attempt to focus.

As such it's likely the rabbit is just very short sighted as opposed to actually blind.

If you take her to the vets they can perform some stimuli tests to ascertain just how much she can actually see which will then help you make small adjustments to how you behave around her and structure her environment to minimise the risk of fear and injury.

i would keep bunny indoors permanantly until spring if no winter coat if a less thick but stil lpresent winter coat then i would introduce extra bedding and insulate the hutch with a wind cover over it.
if rabbit is blind it could be due to varying reasons i oudl expect being a rrew that bunny would have less good vision than other coloured eyed rabbits and may scan to see things close to it...short sightedness.

if rabbit is truely blind then it woudl beinfit from a sighted partner as a guide bunny. you will likely notice the scanning behaviour bumping into things and also hopping slower and less likely to jump onto things or use ramps /stairs than sighted rabbits.

it can be casued by varyous things, ulcers on eye tumours, genetics, ec, swollen blood vessels at back of eye, old age, cateracts etc, until you know what has caused the blindness you wont be able to treat efficiently i would give bunny a preventative course of pannacur to be safe and a full one if vet warrents it if it is something serious and is affecting one eye the eye may need removal. things that blind bunnys tend to refer the room or area they in to not be changed.... toys to be noisy... for you to talk to them on approach to be stroked on the ground adn not lifted to have a comanion for securityand to be their eyes. stronger smelling foods and for bowl of food/veg to be in same place eac h day so easier to find a routine oftne helps them xx

Back