• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Roxy's kidney problems

About three weeks ago, Roxy one of my house buns had an accident in the lounge, (weed) As this was highly unusual for her i took her to the vets for a check up.

About from that she appeared well and full of life. On taking her to the vet a blood sample was taken to find that she was actually having problems with her kidneys. Her urea levels were within the normal limits however on the upper side of the range, but her creatine levels were considered to be high. My vet prescribed some fortekor tablets, half a tablet once a day.

She's brilliant taking them it really surprized me. I hold the tablet with a pair of tweezers and pop it into the back of her mouth and she'll happily chew it all up.

I took her to the vet again last friday to re check her bloods, (by this point she's been on the tablets for a fortnight so we should of seen a improvement) Plus i was completely happy that she was taking her tablets as she should do.

The test now showed that both her urea and creatine levels were high. The creatine level had actually increased slightly by two points. And she's actually lost a little weight in the past fortnight.

We lost Bonny in september to what we believe was ec, my other two buns were treated with lapizole as a precaution. I even treated them for longer than the 28 day period as i decided to finish what was left in the bottles.

Roxy has had a snotty nose very occasionally, but whilst on the lapizole it cleared up. However it's come back, it's not contantly running, neither is it wet. It's just a odd snotty sneeze every fews days.

Because of this she's now being treated with some baytril, so hopefully that will sort it out. We've been told to continue with the fortekor tablets and my vet also gave her a steroid injection to support her kidneys. we've now got an appointment for the 22nd of december to recheck her bloods!!

I really don't know what else to do, she's looks so well you wouldn't really know that she's ill. My husband and are constantly paranoid that we're going to loose her. We went out the other night and all i could think of was that i was going to come home and she'd be gone.

I've finished work to be on maternity leave as my baby is due on the 24th of december, so i'm able to keep an eye on her. But i'm so worried that as she's unwell and and the baby is due very shortly that i won't be in the position to do all i can. I'm looking forward to having the baby but i must be honest that when i loose one of my pets it effects me quite badly and i need time to grieve. I just hope that we've caught it in time and we don't end up losing her at the same time as greeting our new baby into the world. I'll have so many emotions and hormones running around my body that it'll really hard to deal with.

I've been told that dandelions are good for renal function but as its december theres none of them about, does anyone know of where i can get dried one's or if there's anything else i can do to help her!!

Sorry this is such a long post, I hope that your able to absorb the information!!

If she is now in renal failure I would have thought that fluid therapy would be needed :?
Has she had an abdominal Xray/Ultra-sound to see if there are any signs of Kidney stones/abscesses etc?

Jacks Jane, If she is now in renal failure I would have thought that fluid therapy would be needed
Has she had an abdominal Xray/Ultra-sound to see if there are any signs of Kidney stones/abscesses etc

No she hasn't, my vet is treating under the suspision that it damaged cause by her possibly having ec. Now you've said it i'll try and sort out an appt to get this done. It'll have to wait till tomorrow as my vet isn't in till then.
He did have a good feel of her abdomen etc, would anything show up by doing this?

No she hasn't, my vet is treating under the suspision that it damaged cause by her possibly having ec. Now you've said it i'll try and sort out an appt to get this done. It'll have to wait till tomorrow as my vet isn't in till then.
He did have a good feel of her abdomen etc, would anything show up by doing this?

If the Kidney's were very enlarged then that may be detected on examination, but I'd still want an abdominal Xray/Ultrasound.

Okay i'll see what i can do, I don't want to jut sit and wait and prefer to dot every I and cross every T.

Considering the fact that she's showing hardley any signs of illness. She eats and drinks well, and has lots of energy. Do you think i've got a chance to save her. She must be about four years old. I've only had her for a year but i'd like to give as long as i can. Her and Obi love eachother so much i'd hate for him to loose his mate!

Is Roxy's urine in a hazy, semi-clear color? 1 very good thing to do to bunnies, and I started this since 1 of my bridge bun Little Happy passed away due to liver cancer, is that every 2 hr. or perhaps every (2 to 4) hr., you take your bun to her usual spot where she pees.

Back in 2005, Little Happy was diagnosed w/ chronic kidney failure. It's not the same kidney problem as yours, but I always got this concern that all of my buns in the past 10+ yr. like to sit at 1 spot for many hr., w/o going to the bathroom, and as they get to their mid to senior age, that can't be good for their kidney. Although Little Happy didn't pass away due to any kidney problem, his kidney would have been a problem in longer run.

So you don't want to max. out the usage of Roxy's kidney or any other bun for that matter. That's why every few hr., I take my buns to their urine spot to pee, that way, their kidney is not holding onto their urine. Regardless whether a bun has kidney problem, I highly recommend the above trick.

Xmas Update!!

Sorry that i haven't updated before we decided to go with the vets advice and see what the medication did, we could see that she was starting to improve so we stuck with it!!

Today we took her to the vets for a blood test to find that her levels are back to normal!! Yippee!!!

Her creatine has dropped quite considerably and she gained back some of the weight lost which is really good!!!

We're sticking with the treatment for the next month to see what happens!! Its one of the best christmas presents i could have asked for, so thanks Santa!!! :rabbit2:

Back