• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Real Christmas Trees & Rabbits

Vikki

Young Bun
This is my first christmas with rabbits (who all have free range in the house).

In the past I've always had a real tree. I wondered if (apart from the obvious electric light cable) there was any danger for them from a real tree?

Are the needles poisonous to rabbits?

I'd intend to block the tree off, rather than have them try and pull it over, but worry that if a needle drops outside or got walked out, would it hurt them if they ate one (assuming they'd eat one?)

Has anyone else had rabbits and a real tree and any experience?

I found this on the houserabbit society website

"If your Christmas tree has not been treated (with fire retardent, pesticides, etc) or painted, then it should be safe to chew. Note that natural chemical compounds in some evergreens may cause the bunny's urine to turn more orange than usual, but this is not a health concern.

Take a critical look at your tree before placing the ornaments and lights. Low hanging decoratoins could be inviting toys. On lower limbs, use safe plastic or wooden ornaments a rabbit can safely nibble, tug, or steal. Always supervise closely when bunny is loose around the tree."

I went along to a local farm today that sells trees, checked they werent sprayed with anything, and bought one home. Two of my 3 housebunnies are happily chewing at the trunk of the tree and generally being curious - I'm hoping this will save me a huge hoovering job if they're going to eat the needles that fall! I've hung some of the decorations that aren't harmful at the bottom of the tree and it seems all their christmases have come at once!

I'm pretty sure as its 'safe and allowed', they'll get bored of it pretty soon :roll: If I'd made it off limits they'd love it even more!

Last edited:
Blocking them off definately makes them more interested. I've blocked our tree off as everything I read about whether they were safe or not seemed to contradict itself and Lucky has spent the last 72 hours trying every way to get round, under and through the barrier :D

We have a real tree... only had it 3 days now and ronnie was very interested!! He was soon munching on the tree :roll: So we have had to use mesh to corden it off :lol:

Hubby said its like living in a prison :roll::lol: xXx

Mine have last years tree trunk in their run, it's been well stripped/nibbled :lol:

mine go bonkers for a real one......i blocked it off last year & spent most of the time trying to retreive sooty from the table as he found yet another way through....this time it's going on the floor with the wires out of reach...I'll let he munch away.

I buy ours from a local farm that doesn't spray.

Think ours would be bare round the bottom by christmas if i let Ronnie munch away on it :lol::lol: He hasnt been bothered with it tonight which is a good thing :)

I got ours from B&Q, so not sure if theyre sprayed with anything :( xXx

Back