• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Limping-advice please

kat_g

Warren Scout
Two days ago my lop jumped up on the wall he always jumps on, but this time he has hurt his leg. My vet checked him over and thinks it is just a strain/sprain injury so should just improve over time. He is very happy in himself and does not seem the least bit bothered by his leg. He is eating, hopping around (although not too much as we have restricted him) and he uses the leg to scratch his ear! He is on metacam. He is not fully weight-bearing on the leg. He seems to use it more so when hopping slowly and tends to hold it up a bit more when hopping more quickly. This is quite normal for a dog or cat to do this so i guess its the same for bunnies. However, I do not have any experience of rabbits with this type of injury so i don't really know how long it should be before i see improvement (im assuming around 3-5 days). Does anyone know much about this? He is no worse on the leg in two days but not really that much better.

Thanks

Katherine

We have this with Squidgy at the moment. We're not sure what started the limp though.
We were told metacam should sort it in 5 days if it were just a sprain. Sadly Squidgy is still on metacam and we're now trying a course of Lapizole, as the vet isn't sure if it's a nerve problem now.
Hope he gets better soon.

Back