• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dewlap - do i need to worry?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

Molly has developed a little dewlap. Milly hasn't. They were both spayed at 5 months old. They are now 1 and a half years old. They get an eggcupful of pellets twice a day, more hay than you can shake a stick at. :lol: They have grown a thick winter coat, but this is not just fur. I'll take a picture tomorrow of it. Thankfully, at the moment, it's not causing her any problems, but could it become a problem?

My does did have a dewlap for a while but they soon lost it after running about over a summer. Sounds like you're feeding them the right amount of pellets because that's exactly the amount a vet nurse told me to feed them 'an egg-cup full'. I was feeding them too much of the pellet feed but yes they can just have more hay and less pellet, so don't worry.

Lucy is developing a dewlap. She does seem to be getting rather "portly" - she weighs 2.44kg, and was the biggest weight in the 4 buns at the vets!

She has plenty of exercise, but does love a long sleep with Lola on an afternoon. She has unlimited hay and I feed her SS. I feed her cabbage/greens and she has a little bit of carrot now and then.

I think I may of been overfeeding her as I gave her an egg cup of pellets on a morning with a tiny bit of oats (stopped that), and some greens, then she has hay all day until 5pm when she gets her tea, same as breakfast and then at 9pm they get a bit of supper (mini Weetabix or mini Shredded Wheat) - just to make sure they are eating.

She is an incredibly greedy bunny. She loves her food. I am going to try and bulk her diet up more with hay/grass rather than greens and treats.

Its their little faces though.

Most females develop dewlap and particularly when they get old, some have really big ones, minilops females have big ones sometimes. Some dewlaps are full of fat some others are empty, just floppy skin.. Males rarely have this.. Chloe has a huge one that will never disappear.. Some vets operate them if they continue growing and the rabbit can no longer eat her caecals and clean herself.

My ickle Fudge has one and she hasnt been spayed but its tiny...her mum had a large dewlap and when she was spayed it reduced in size....I think they are so cute with them and Fudge loves it when i rub hers...she gets all sleepy :love:

Back