• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to make my bun happy again?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I have two lovely bunnies, a brother and sister so they have always been together. The girl, Star, dropped a litter of 3 kits about 3 wks ago, so we seperate the dad Bugs and left Star with the babies.

Out of the two of them, Bugs has always been the more loving towards me however since the babies it has turned the other way - Bugs has the right hump with me! He stamps his foot whenever I am around and will do *anything* to get to Star and the babies - where as Star has turned really 'loving' towards me!

I have every intention of getting them back together when the babies are older and Bugs has now been spreyed so they can go back (and Star will be done in the new year after the babies are weaned etc) but what can I do in the meantime to make Bugs happy? It is just a waiting game .. will he not be happy until he is back with Star?

Has anyone any advice please?

You could give him lots of toys to chew on and throw around etc so he can take out his frustration on them.

Is the Brother the father to the babies ??:wave:

He is yes, does that make any difference then? I was wondering if now the babies are up and about a bit if I could put them all together now (ie one big happy family so to speak?)

Dont put them back together yet whatever you do! Daddy bun will still be fertile, so you'll end up with another litter :( After neutering, you need to keep them apart 6 weeks to avoid another pregnancy :( Did you remove him before she had the babies? Or did you move him out when you saw the babies were there?

Im glad you got the dad neutered :) I'd just put the cages near so he can still see/smell her but he must not be able to get at her nor the babies :)

Let us know how you get on :) xXx

Dont put them back together yet whatever you do! Daddy bun will still be fertile, so you'll end up with another litter :( After neutering, you need to keep them apart 6 weeks to avoid another pregnancy :( Did you remove him before she had the babies? Or did you move him out when you saw the babies were there?

Im glad you got the dad neutered :) I'd just put the cages near so he can still see/smell her but he must not be able to get at her nor the babies :)

Let us know how you get on :) xXx

Thank you.

I removed the dad after the babies were born. (I didn't know that she was actually pregnant until that day). The babies were scattered all over the hutch, so I removed the dad and gathered the babies and made a nest (she had pulled some fur but there wasn't a nest as such) We lost two babies, from the cold I think on the day they were born but the other three are doing well now :)

Just wish I can make Bugs happy again but it seems that only time might do this. I am sure it is only because he wants to be with Star ... will wait for a bit until putting them back together :)

Mummy bunny is probably pregnant again then :? If the babies are 3 weeks old, she could have another litter in the next week... dont know if you knew this? :( Really hope everything turns out ok. To keep the babies warm you could use a Snugglesafe heatpad...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=250

Dont know if you'll find them much cheaper than that. They really do help though, especially in this weather :)

Remember to split the babies from mummy at around 8 weeks. If she has another litter you'll probably have to move the older babies away so mum can look after the younger babies. xXx

Mummy bunny is probably pregnant again then :? If the babies are 3 weeks old, she could have another litter in the next week... dont know if you knew this? :( Really hope everything turns out ok. To keep the babies warm you could use a Snugglesafe heatpad...

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=250

Dont know if you'll find them much cheaper than that. They really do help though, especially in this weather :)

Remember to split the babies from mummy at around 8 weeks. If she has another litter you'll probably have to move the older babies away so mum can look after the younger babies. xXx

Oh no, really?? I hope she isn't pregnant again (for her sake) but I have a feeling, now you mention it re the fact they were together on the birth date, that maybe she is and is getting ready to drop again. The reason I say this is that she has been eating me out of house and home and today when I picked her up her belly felt huge. Also when I was stroking her today, she was fine while I stroke her head and went 'funny' and turned away when I touched her side. My poor girl :(

This will be the end though, like I say Bugs has been spreyed now and I plan to get Star done in the New Year (when she is ready). Then Bugs and Star can live happly ever after :)

Thank you so much for your help

I guess shes pregnant then :(

Someone on here was in the same situation recently... cant remember who exactly though :? Maybe if you post a thread in the health section, Doe pregnant for second time or something like that, people will be able to advise you about removing older babies etc :? To be honest im not sure how it works with removing the older babies :?

When theyre 8 weeks old you'll need to take the babies to the vets to get sexed, then you can seperate the girls from boys, girls can stay with mum, boys will need another hutch :(

I really hope Star is going to be ok :) If you need any advise, dont hesitate to ask on here :) Everyones wonderful :) xXx

Little Update

(and I hope I am not speaking too soon!)

but we have reach just past 4 weeks and no new bun's so fingers crossed for whatever reason that Star didn't become pregnant again at the birth :D

Just for curious reasons, I know it is normally about a month for pregnancy but does anyone know how much longer it might go on for (ie when can I say that she isn't pregnant?) if that makes sense?

Bugs (dad) has calmed down lots since his op as well. yesterday was warmer so I took the chance to sit down outside with him and I have to say it was lovely ... I think slowly he is starting to trust me again :D I just sat outside and waited for him to come to me, which he did after a while. I fed him some hay and he let me stroke him without him thumping at me! yippee, just can't wait to get him together again with Star.

(and I hope I am not speaking too soon!)

but we have reach just past 4 weeks and no new bun's so fingers crossed for whatever reason that Star didn't become pregnant again at the birth :D

Just for curious reasons, I know it is normally about a month for pregnancy but does anyone know how much longer it might go on for (ie when can I say that she isn't pregnant?) if that makes sense?

Bugs (dad) has calmed down lots since his op as well. yesterday was warmer so I took the chance to sit down outside with him and I have to say it was lovely ... I think slowly he is starting to trust me again :D I just sat outside and waited for him to come to me, which he did after a while. I fed him some hay and he let me stroke him without him thumping at me! yippee, just can't wait to get him together again with Star.

Well, the pregnany is only 32 days i believe :? So it wouldnt go on for more than a few days more than that :) Fingers crossed she isnt pregnant, shes very lucky if she isnt because they normally catch immediately after having the litter.

Im so glad Bugs is calming down, bet he cant wait to go back with his wifey :love:

How old are the babies now?? Remember to get them sexed at around 8 weeks old, so you can seperate boys/girls :)

What are you going to do with the babies? Do you have enough cages?? xXx

Well, the pregnany is only 32 days i believe :? So it wouldnt go on for more than a few days more than that :) Fingers crossed she isnt pregnant, shes very lucky if she isnt because they normally catch immediately after having the litter.

Im so glad Bugs is calming down, bet he cant wait to go back with his wifey :love:

How old are the babies now?? Remember to get them sexed at around 8 weeks old, so you can seperate boys/girls :)

What are you going to do with the babies? Do you have enough cages?? xXx

Hi and thanks for the reply. Bugs can't wait until he can go with Star again :D

The babies are 5 weeks today. I would love to keep them but I dont have enough room. All the babies are already spoken for and have loving homes to go to when they are old enough. Are the babies okay to leave mum at 8wks then? someone told me 12wks ....

Hi and thanks for the reply. Bugs can't wait until he can go with Star again :D

The babies are 5 weeks today. I would love to keep them but I dont have enough room. All the babies are already spoken for and have loving homes to go to when they are old enough. Are the babies okay to leave mum at 8wks then? someone told me 12wks ....

They can leave mum at 8 weeks, & boys MUST leave mum not long after.

Boys may well be fertile & are often neuterable by 12 weeks, so you definitely don't want boy babies with Mum or sisters at that point. I'd separate boys from Mum & girls at 8 weeks, & keep checking girls to make sure they ARE girls:D Girls can stay with mum unless her or babies hormones kick in & they start being aggressive (fixed by spaying). Make sure whoever is getting babies know not to let them together if they aren't same sex - they are already inbred - so breeding another generation brother to sister may cause problems.

They can kindle later than the standard 31 days, so I personally don't breath a sigh of relief until around 35 just to be safe.

They can leave mum at 8 weeks, & boys MUST leave mum not long after.

Boys may well be fertile & are often neuterable by 12 weeks, so you definitely don't want boy babies with Mum or sisters at that point. I'd separate boys from Mum & girls at 8 weeks, & keep checking girls to make sure they ARE girls:D Girls can stay with mum unless her or babies hormones kick in & they start being aggressive (fixed by spaying). Make sure whoever is getting babies know not to let them together if they aren't same sex - they are already inbred - so breeding another generation brother to sister may cause problems.

Thanks, can I asked what the problems are with inbreeding please? Assuming we have different sexes in the young ones, just to make sure they dont get bred again when I pass them onto the new owners ...

They can kindle later than the standard 31 days, so I personally don't breath a sigh of relief until around 35 just to be safe.

cheers, it is 35 days today and no signs (ie fur pulling, nest building etc) so hopefully she isn't pregnant again :D

Thanks, can I asked what the problems are with inbreeding please? Assuming we have different sexes in the young ones, just to make sure they dont get bred again when I pass them onto the new owners ...

Dont think bunnies will live very long, could have deformities, have health problems etc :( Its not a good idea to breed brother/sister in the first place tbh so all buns should be seperated into same sex groups :)

I foster for the rspca and had 3 12 week old buns bought to me a while ago who were all apparently boys :roll: Turns out to be 2 girls and 1 boy! So make sure you get them sexed properly at a vet :)

Dont think bunnies will live very long, could have deformities, have health problems etc :( Its not a good idea to breed brother/sister in the first place tbh so all buns should be seperated into same sex groups :)

I foster for the rspca and had 3 12 week old buns bought to me a while ago who were all apparently boys :roll: Turns out to be 2 girls and 1 boy! So make sure you get them sexed properly at a vet :)

okay will do, thank you so much for all your help :D

Back