• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bun is very quiet

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
I haven't posted for a while but am not sure about one of my buns - he's been very quiet staying at the bottom of the hutch (3 storey thing) hardly moving. He is producing poops, eyes are clear, no mucus around nose - in fact appears in good health except he isn't moving much, just sort of dozing - could this be the weather or something more ominous?

Is he eating? Is he warm enough?

If in doubt, give your vets a call to see whether they think he should go in for a check over to be on the safe side.

I have just given him some kale and hay, as hadn't eaten pellets all day and he started to eat the kale, must be a good sign?!

It is good that he is eating, if it is hard food and hay that he has stopped eating/eating slower than normal, he may have dental problems. Keep trying to get him to eat anything but get him to the vet asap if he is still refusing food. Try to keep him hydrated too and keep an eye on his poops.

Is he scrunched up? Or is he just sitting/lying normally? Does he have a snugglesafe in his hutch? :) May help if he has one for warmth :) Glad hes eaten some Kale for you :) xXx

EDT: Just thought is he a dental bun? xXx

Thank you for your replies - he is nice and warm as he is in a shed and I've remade his bed with lots of newspaper then straw and hay on top.

So I don't think heat is an issue and I am glad he is eating as that was making me very concerned. I will keep a close eye on and him probably take him to the vets for a check up anyway.

Do I have to take both of them? They are very closely bonded buns except at present as they are now on different floors.

Thanks again

P.S. Was eating nuggets and hay up until yesterday.

Sometimes they have a little wind and this hurts them so they don't eat.
I would pop to the vet for a check up (teeth check) and I always take my bonded pairs together.
Bunnies don't have 'off' days like we do. If they stop eating there is a problem - promising sign that he is eating.
Hope everything is ok.

Yeah keep them together at all times :) At least he'll have his friend for comfort :) I do think he needs his teeth checking :( Bunnies normally hide illness well... so if hes showing these signs theres a chance hes poorly :( Keep us updated :) Sending lots of eating vibes xXx

Could you take his temp as If he is lying flat out and not moving much he may have a temperature

Update on Button - took him to the vet this morning and he's booked in to have his teeth rasped tomorrow, they are not too bad but enough to be affecting him.

Thank you again for your responses.

Button is back and eating

Button and Bumble went to the vets today and Button had his teeth sorted out, a few spurs poking into his gum and tongue - poor little bun.

Anyway he is back home and eating lots of hay with some kale and parsley :love:.

Thank you to everyone for their good vibes.

Back