• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spey...

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
What's the earliest age a female rabbit can be speyed?

Fidge is about 16/17 weeks and i am going to my parents in manchester for the xmas period and have been quoted £62 for a spey which is fantastic compared to the £120 quoted at my local vets :shock: !!!

I was wondering if she would be old enough by then?

Some vets will spey at 1kg in weight others will insist on waiting until the doe is 6 months old. None of mine have been speyed before 6 months unless there have been exceptional circumstances as there is a chance they may not be fully developed at a younger age.

I think I speyed mine at that age because they were starting to get a bit hormonal and I didn't want them to have fight and then have to rebond them etc etc.

Some vets will spey at 1kg in weight others will insist on waiting until the doe is 6 months old. None of mine have been speyed before 6 months unless there have been exceptional circumstances as there is a chance they may not be fully developed at a younger age.

Ok, think i will wait and get her done around easter time then. That's when i will be looking for a boyfriend for her anyway. I know it sounds stingy but £120??? Is it me or is that ridiculous??? My friend got her beagle done for £90!

it varies from vets mine will neuter/spey at 12 weeks if they are a good size and weight obviously but i know some vets dont feel confortable doing it until they are about 6/7 months old :)

Ok, think i will wait and get her done around easter time then. That's when i will be looking for a boyfriend for her anyway. I know it sounds stingy but £120??? Is it me or is that ridiculous??? My friend got her beagle done for £90!

I pay £65 at one vets and £75 at another.

it varies from vets mine will neuter/spey at 12 weeks if they are a good size and weight obviously but i know some vets dont feel confortable doing it until they are about 6/7 months old :)

Hmm well fidge is a nethie/nethie cross and was the smallest of her litter so she is very small. Think it's probably best to wait?

Hmm well fidge is a nethie/nethie cross and was the smallest of her litter so she is very small. Think it's probably best to wait?

Smaller breeds mature much faster, however runts in general are often under-developed for their age....so in her case I would recommend waiting.

If she's tiny it's probably best to wait until she reaches the 1KG weight, I have mine spayed at 4 months if they are big enough. If they are too small it can make the surgery a little difficult as the ovaries and fallopian tubes are like little pieces of string!!:)

Back