• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD jabs...sleepy bunnies??

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
My babies had their first VHD jab yesterday. They were ok when they got back munching pooing chewing all that good bunny stuff but today they are very dozy?! They didn't come flying at me for brekkie and they didn't eat it all with their usual gusto! No zooming around, no binkying they're just sleeping? Do buns normally feel a bit off colour after a VHD jab?:?

Some are out of sorts for a day or two others aren't but it certainly isn't an unusual reaction.

There are two types of vaccine for VHD if they had Cylap the reaction you describe is exactly how mine were after the jab. (I can't off hand remember the name of the other vaccine but it has less side-effects).

phew thanks! it was a bit disturbing not having them round my feet trying to trip me up while waiting for their food! I'm don't know which vaccine it was I wasn't aware there were 2 types I'll find out what it was and ask for the other one next year poor little bunsters :(

I've done a search and I can't find the name of the other vaccine. Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt assist :oops:

The reason the other vaccine isn't given as commonly is it comes supplied as ?5/6 doses together and once opened has to be used within 8 hours, so most vets don't have that much demand and will use Cylap instead.

Mine babies did exactly the same after theirs but the vet warned me that it might happen and to let them know as they feed side effects back to the manufacturer. Might be worth feeding back your experience too?

it was Cylap I checked the invoice. I will let the vet know when Im back in in a couple of weeks to get Dudley de-plumed!! They're a bit more lively today tripping me up like usual :D altho they still didn't eat much! Parsley bell to the rescue that should do the trick!

Flopsie had hers a few weeks ago and I got such a shock that she wasn't herself. I was a bit paniced until people on here and the emergency vet told me that it wasn't unusual for bunnies to get a bit groggy after VHD vaccs :)

Flopsie was ok after a couple of days, I gave her some dried pea shoots and pineapple juice and she was a happy bunny :)

some even get a limp with the cyclap injection but most vets wont acknowledge it as a symptom annoyingly and it can be a very worrying time for owners x

Some vets don't even realise there is an alternative to the Cylap vaccine. I explain about the limp & side effects to Anneke and she kindly agreed to get the Lapinject in future.

My mate has to get her buns VHD jabs at the same vets, so I'll send her armed with the advice! If they say no this time maybe we can go together next year and demand our 4 bunnies have the Lapinject. If their excuse is it wont get used up I'd rather pay a bit more and cover the cost of the unused drug so my babies won't have to suffer. It's bad enough they have to have injections as it is without feeling ill as well.

I feel bad I didn't know about this before I took them, I feel like I've let them down :(

My baby buns have also had their VHD jab this morning. My housemate took them since I had to be in work, but I'll be finding out what injection they were given when I get home in an hour or so. At least I'll be prepared if they are less active then usual, although I'm sure it will make me feel a bit sad. :(

They were OK when I first got them home, it was the next morning they seemed poorly, so it seems it when it gets into their system a bit!

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I think I'd be quite worried if they were fine today and groggy tomorrow! They had them done at 9 this morning so they'll have had 9 hours of quiet time and hopefully they'll be perkier now. Can't wait to get home to see them!

Back