• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles really bad - please help

Fuzzy Bun

New Kit
hi everyone, great forum by the way.

I need some advice about my snuffles bunny. Yesterday she stopped eating and has lost a lot of weight quickly, now I know this is bad and she needs the vet asap, she is going tomorrow, our only local vet does not have a call out service so that is the earliest. She has been on baytril but now needs more. I have managed to tempt her with carrot and a little food but she is basically just sitting there in her tent struggling to breathe. What can I do to ease her suffering before the morning? Please help x

Oh dear poor bun. I'm afraid there is no simple answer other than your bunny MUST see a vet as soon as possible today, it sounds like she is suffering and could well not be alive by the morning :( Vets legally must provide emergency cover - if you ring your vets normal number you should find an answerphone message telling you how to access it, and you really must insist. If you get no joy with your vets, then try another. Quite often there is a clinic in most areas that does the emergency callout for a load of practices so you may find that many of them use the same place.

It sounds as if she may need a different antibiotic (my snuffly bun is on oxytetracycline) and some bisolvon to thin the mucus. But I really can't stress how important it is that your bun sees a vet today - can you imagine how terrified you would be if you were struggling to breathe?

Good luck - please let us know how you get on.

I understand that, the problem is we live in a remote area, my partner is away with the car until tonight and there is no call out option, I need to try to ease her suffering, I'm in a really awkward position.

I'm afraid I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and get a taxi if there's no neighbour, friend or relative can take you :( I'm honestly not trying to scare you but it sounds as if she's suffering, and coupled with not eating means that there's a very high chance that tomorrow could be too late :(

Good luck xx

What about human remadies. Albus oil, or leave her in the bathroom with a hot shower running. a small room with vicks rub in a bowl of hot water.

hi everyone, great forum by the way.

I need some advice about my snuffles bunny. Yesterday she stopped eating and has lost a lot of weight quickly, now I know this is bad and she needs the vet asap, she is going tomorrow, our only local vet does not have a call out service so that is the earliest. She has been on baytril but now needs more. I have managed to tempt her with carrot and a little food but she is basically just sitting there in her tent struggling to breathe. What can I do to ease her suffering before the morning? Please help x

Hello

I am sorry that your Rabbit is so sick :cry:
What area are you in ? Your Rabbit must be seen by a Vet today. If she is anorexic and struggling to breathe then I am affraid tomorrow may be too late :cry:
If your own Vet does not provide an out-of-ours emergency cover (which is extremely poor practice) then please phone around other local Vets til you find one who can help. From what you have said in your post your Rabbit's life is in danger :cry: I am not trying to frighten you but am trying to emphasise how urgent this is.

If you can let us know your approximate geographical location maybe someone on here can give you contact details of a Vet near you who would see your Rabbit today.

Please keep us updated

Not possible but thanks anyway

Don't mean to sound funny, but would you say the same if it was a child? Your bun is 100% reliant on you to provide it with care, and actually it is breaking the law to deny veterinary care to an animal that is suffering :? Please find a way to get this bun to a vet or a vet to you today. In the meantime you may find that putting her in a room with a shower will help to ease the congestion but I must stress that it is absolutely no substitute for veterinary care.

Don't mean to sound funny, but would you say the same if it was a child? Your bun is 100% reliant on you to provide it with care, and actually it is breaking the law to deny veterinary care to an animal that is suffering :? Please find a way to get this bun to a vet or a vet to you today. In the meantime you may find that putting her in a room with a shower will help to ease the congestion but I must stress that it is absolutely no substitute for veterinary care.

I am trying to sort it now, I have three rabbits all impecably cared for and fully up to date with the vet, I live 30 miles from a town and for the first time ever I am in the unfortunate position that my partner has had to go away to see his sick mother. Please do not suggest I am a bad pet owner, I am not, I am calling vets and getting advice and trying to get a lift. I came for help not criticism. Thanks to everyone else for the helpful posts.

when I said not possible I simply meant the taxi, they don't come here, I'm sorry if I came across wrong I am just stressedabout my bun.

I hope your bunny is ok. We had the same problem with Buster He has been so much better since we moved house funnily but i thought you might find some of these tips the vet gave me useful.

I found that buggs liked sitting in the bathroom while i showered it made him sneeze up the bad stuff and helped with the snotty nose.

I also got told to air his hay wet it then put it in a turnip net outside to dry and blow away the dust, my partners mum does this for her horses because they are allergic to hay dust.

I swapped his bedding to straw and put hay in a feeder on the side of the cage and just gave him timothy hay with dandilions and herbs. buster took to just eating the straw so we gave up on that idea.

he refused to take antibiotics he spat them out when the vet tried it also. The vet recommended dipping the end of the syringe in ribenna but he didnt like that so he said to mix it with a little greek yoghurt but not too much apparently they get addicted to it lol!

I really hope this helps prevent another scary moment like you have just had

Buster and I send our best wishes to you and your bun

x x

One thing to keep the bun in good shape is to keep him warm. You can take him inside and in your room or even turn up the heat to say 24 deg C from a localize oil heater.

You must keep your bun's diet up. So you can get some non-meat baby food and force feed him via syringe. Same thing with water, syringe feed him with a reasonable amount of water every 2 hr.

Back