• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it Because I am Ill ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am not posting this just 'for attention'.
I cant 'get over' losing Jack, I just cant :cry:
I have lost numerous Pets in my 48 years and numerous friends and family of the human kind too. But nothing compares to how losing Jack has effected me. It was over 2.5 years ago yet right now I feel as though he died one second ago :cry::cry:

I have so many beautiful Rabbits here with me now. I love each and every one of them. But there is still a gaping Jack-sized hole in my heart that noBun and no-one can fill :cry:

People tell me that its my illness making me 'dwell on the loss'. But I know its not. If anyone has ever developed a bond with a Rabbit like that I had with Jack they would not say such a thing.

I feel so empty :cry: :cry:

Picture529.jpg

Sorry for this pathetic post :oops: :cry:

Sometimes I feel you make the perfect bond with a particular pet. Some of the feelings may come from the time in your life when you had the pet and they were just what you needed at that time. I also think when you are feeling down you recollect more strongly the times when you were happy and miss those times. I had a Springer Spaniel that made me feel that way.
Think of the happy times you had with Jack and cherish the moments.

I dont know what your illness is so i cant comment on that but sometimes you develop such a strong bond that it can take years to go through the grieving process. I know it sounds silly but grevience (sp) counselling might help either way lots of (((hugs)))

no hun i dont think its cus your ill.. it took me almost 7 years to totally get over my dad and the cat i bought to replace him died in 2007 and i still get teary when i let myself think about him.

its a natural response to losing a much loved family member and they dont have to be a human family member for the greif to be intense for a very long time.. 2.5 years is nothing really hun, stop beating yourself up its 100% normal to still be greving for him xxx

no hun i dont think its cus your ill.. it took me almost 7 years to totally get over my dad and the cat i bought to replace him died in 2007 and i still get teary when i let myself think about him.

its a natural response to losing a much loved family member and they dont have to be a human family member for the greif to be intense for a very long time.. 2.5 years is nothing really hun, stop beating yourself up its 100% normal to still be greving for him xxx

Thanks Donna and Fairy13 :)

I actually feel guilty as losing Jack has been harder for me than losing my Mum. I dont expect anyone to understand that and I guess its just another 'weird' thing about me.

I have been listening to Gloria Hunniford on the Radio. She was speaking about the loss of her daughter, Karon Keating, to Breast Cancer. Although I have never been a Mother I imagin losing a child must be impossible to come to terms with. I did not look upon Jack as a surrogate 'child', he was a Rabbit. But I can relate to so much of what Gloria said about how losing Karon effects her on a day to day basis. But of course I could never talk with people about it as to them losing a Rabbit is in no way as bad as the death of ones own child.

I guess I am a complete headcase

:cry:

I actually feel guilty as losing Jack has been harder for me than losing my Mum. I dont expect anyone to understand that and I guess its just another 'weird' thing about me.

I have been listening to Gloria Hunniford on the Radio. She was speaking about the loss of her daughter, Karon Keating, to Breast Cancer. Although I have never been a Mother I imagin losing a child must be impossible to come to terms with. I did not look upon Jack as a surrogate 'child', he was a Rabbit. But I can relate to so much of what Gloria said about how losing Karon effects her on a day to day basis. But of course I could never talk with people about it as to them losing a Rabbit is in no way as bad as the death of ones own child.

i think the fact you are feeling bad about the mourning for him itself is your illness hun :( try not to feel guilty for feelings you cant help.

at my nans funeral i felt like a fraud cus while everyone around me was wailing i didnt really feel the loss :oops: so ive mourned my cat more than a family member too.. we cant help how we feel, so we shouldnt feel guilty

But of course I could never talk with people about it as to them losing a Rabbit is in no way as bad as the death of ones own child.

I can't see how a child is more important than a rabbit. People are wrong.They probably think that a rabbit can be replaced with another one; which is not the case. Please don't blame yourself; you are not a 'headcase'. We all get attached to one of our pets more than the others. When he or she dies, it is almost impossible to get over it. I know how you feel. :cry::cry:

Mega hugs for you....i can only imagine how you must feel, but to be honest when i think of losing my kermit i think that i might be in the same boat as you at some point.....me and k have been through so much in the year that ive had him, i think i will be distraught when the time comes.

It must be hard thinking about losing Jack every day, but at least you have great memories from when he was here, which is much better than never having any time with him at all.....and im sure that he is missing you just as much xx

I dont think anyone can dictate how much anything 'should' mean to someone else. To you Jack was special and went through some dark times in your life and was a comfort to you. I think whether he was a rabbit, dog, person etc is irrelevent. What he meant to you is what counts and i dont think its strange that you still miss him so much. As someone else said 2.5 years isnt such a long time and while some days you can cope with his passing better than others perhaps the easier days will just become more frequent than not perhaps :?
Sorry, I'm rambling on :oops: i just dont think you should judge yourself for how you feel. Its ok x x x x

I found it much harder losing my buns than losing my grandparents. I don't tell that to many people as they will think I am evil....but I think there is something about the bond you form with a pet that's very similar to that you form with a child because of the dependence they have on you. Especially if your life is centred more around animals than people.

I know this probably isn't something you want to hear but I'm not convinced it's possible to "get over" losing a special bun like Jack....you will always miss him....but you shouldn't feel abnormal for it, it's natural.

I know that this contradicts what I've just said and that the usual "he had a good life with you" etc aren't much comfort, but I hope you can begin to feel even a little better soon, and keep the good times in mind.

I found it much harder losing my buns than losing my grandparents. I don't tell that to many people as they will think I am evil....but I think there is something about the bond you form with a pet that's very similar to that you form with a child because of the dependence they have on you. Especially if your life is centred more around animals than people.

I know this probably isn't something you want to hear but I'm not convinced it's possible to "get over" losing a special bun like Jack....you will always miss him....but you shouldn't feel abnormal for it, it's natural.

I know that this contradicts what I've just said and that the usual "he had a good life with you" etc aren't much comfort, but I hope you can begin to feel even a little better soon, and keep the good times in mind.

Actually the 'not getting over it' is something Gloria mentioned in her Radio interview. She said that shortly after Karon died she received a letter from a lady who had lost her son 15 years previously. In her letter the Lady mentioned not 'getting over' the loss but instead learning to live with it. Gloria said that at first she thought it was such a cruel thing to include in a letter to someone recently bereaved. But now she understands exactly what the lady meant.

Jack was with me during and extremely dark time in my life. He litterally saved my life. I do have lots of lovely memories of him :love: He was with me from the day he was born :love:

Thanks for 'listening' folks. You have all helped me :)

i just wanted to add.. i think its the people who dont greive for lost pets who are the ones who have the problems, it must be awful to not have true undiluted love for another living soul and theres nothing more pure than the total love and trust from an aminal who ultimately shouldnt want to be anywhere near us... take as much time as you need hun, and dont let anyone (even yourself) tell you its wrong and unnatural to still be greiving i think its amazing that there are other animal orientated people out there so we can all be freaks together on a lovely forum like this..

here you go Jane some beautiful pics to make you smile :love:

ATT30475.jpg

ATT30481.jpg

:love::love::love:

Don't feel bad - you spend more time with your pets than family members, so in a way it's inevitable. I know how you feel over Jack. I lost Phoebe about 4 years ago (will be 4 years in March). I lost my uncle the year before and I was nowhere near as absolutely devastated as I was over the dog. I love my current dogs but I'll never love another living being like I loved (still love) that dog.

loads of hugs. I still cry about loosing elvis, i think i awlays will. The counceller (sp) thinks it contributed to me getting depression. I still see and feel that he was my baby.
x

Honey I really feel for you. In tears thinking about what I'll do when Blue goes. Maybe bereavement councilling is an idea. There are some that deal specifically with the loss of a pet. There are usually leaflets at the vets.
Hugs for you hon.
xx

Back