• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very Poorly Bunny

Emraa

New Kit
Hi all.
I got a rescue rabbit Tuesday, she has been fine but this morning when I went to clean her hutch she didn't come to greet me so I knew something was wrong. She was laying in her bed surrounded by diarrhea. It was a sloppy mess and she was covered in it. I gave her some celery and carrot last night, but she has had this before and was fine.
I got her out, washed her off and cleaned the hutch, as soon as I put her back she was ill again, there seemed no end to it. She is such a mess, it is impossible to clean and dry her properly.

I took her to the vet who gave her some kind of injection that she said would slow down digestion and gave me some recovery liquid feed and some sachets of bio-lapis to put in her water. This is all very well but she isn't touching water or food.

She usually lives outdoors but I have made up an area in our utilty room to keep her warm What else can I do? She is so listless and I feel helpless! The vet said that if she hasn't improved in 24 hours to bring her back.

If she is not drinking I would not wait 24 hours before contacting the Vet again. She may well now be dehydrated due to the severe diarrhoea and will need fluid therapy (IV or subcutaneous)

Did she have any pain relief? If she has tummy pain she definately wont eat.
I would call the Vet again now and ask about the fluids as they really are an essential. As is maintaining her body temperature so a heatpad would also be a good idea.

Good luck and please keep us posted

Hi, sorry to hear your bunny is poorly. You have done the right thing by making sure she is warm.

You could try to put some water in a bowl (rather than a bottle) and add a dash of boiling so it is room temperature for her, mine prefer it like this rather than cold. Can you encourage her to eat some hay as this is the best form of fibre.

Have they shown you how to syringe the food.

Someone with more experience will be along shortly.

I hope she can pull through this OK.

Edit - phew Jane, glad you came along.

I agree with Jack`s Jane. This rabbit needs to be seen very soon for fluids and analgesia. That sort of fluid loss is life threatening. IV best but if not, sub cutaneous at 100ml per kilo of rabbit (or more), Analgesics eg metacam are also indicated. Ideally this guy should be hospitilised
Goodluck

Hi all

Thanks so much for your advice.

Unfortuantey Sarah Rabbit had to be put to sleep yesterday at 5pm. She had mucoid enteritis (I believe). I was given two options - try to save her (the vet made it very clear that the chances of her surviving at the stage were very, very slim to none) or to put her to sleep. She was so ill I decided she had suffered enough.

I feel so sad, I only had her 4 days but had already come attached to her. I feel kind of responisble now for her deterioration but I trusted the vet (who said wait 24 hours!!) until I realised she was very very unwell and she had not been diagnosed correctly.

I now have two hutches and two runs and no bunny!:cry:

Hi all

Thanks so much for your advice.

Unfortuantey Sarah Rabbit had to be put to sleep yesterday at 5pm. She had mucoid enteritis (I believe). I was given two options - try to save her (the vet made it very clear that the chances of her surviving at the stage were very, very slim to none) or to put her to sleep. She was so ill I decided she had suffered enough.

I feel so sad, I only had her 4 days but had already come attached to her. I feel kind of responisble now for her deterioration but I trusted the vet (who said wait 24 hours!!) until I realised she was very very unwell and she had not been diagnosed correctly.

I now have two hutches and two runs and no bunny!:cry:

I am so sorry :cry:

If you intend to use the living accomodation poor Sarah occupied please insure it is thoroughly disinfected (F10 is a good one) aswell as steam cleaned. If the run area Sarah used was on grass then it should not be used for another Rabbit for several months. If it is on concrete then washing the area down with jeyes fluid and boiled water (rinse very,very well) and allow to thoroughly dry out.

I would dispose of any drinking bottles/wood toys Sarah had and sterilise all feed bowls using Milton Steriliser. Also, I would dispose of any hutch cleaning utensils you have previously used.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

Oh, i'm so sorry.:( You did all you could so don't feel bad. Stay around the forum abd pick up tips and ideas and maybe one day you'll like to try again. :(

I am so sorry, it must be very difficult for you. You did all your could for her.

As Jane said, if you are considering any more in the future make sure you disinfect thoroughly.

If or when you feel the time is right it might be worth you taking a look on the rehoming area on here and they can offer plenty of advice.

Thinking of you.

So sorry for your loss.

If you decide to have more buns to refill the energy in your house, I also agree w/ Jane that all the hutches and nearby areas must be thoroughly cleaned w/ hot water and those disinfectants that Jane recommends. I would clean it once w/ disinfectants and clean it the next day again w/ hot water.

You should go with one of the reliable rescue centers that we trust in this forum, members that has been around in here for awhile and of course, near your area, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area waiting for a good home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

Back