• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syphilis

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
What can anyone tell me about syphilis or vent disease? Three of my rabbits now have it. The 1st one who got it (Berrie) is a rescue with unknown history. She is 2 and half or roughly thereabouts. She lives in a separate run from the Bonnie and Merri (both 4 and half). Bonnie and Merri are brother and sister. Bonnie got it last week and I discovered it in Merri today. So it makes sense that Bonnie passed it on to her brother but what I don't know is how she got it from Berrie. Berri's mate Emrys seems not to have it yet.

Syph can be passed on through mating or from a doe to kits. I can see Bonnie and Merri obviously practiced incest but they live away from Berrie so how on earth could it have spread.

Does anyone know if there are different ways for syph to spread?

I was under the impression it had to be through contact. Although if you have touched one rabbit, and then handled another that could spread it, or maybe their toys have got muddled up? Can they touch through their runs at all?

Their runs are 3 meteres apart :shock: They do get out to play on the same lawn though. Its massive but I did wonder if maybe Berrie rubbed her anal glands on something and then Bonnie followed suit during her play. I don't know if thats possible but they have no contact whatsoever and all their toys and furniture stays in the run. I'm mega confused.

It can be spread from contact that's why it often spreads from vent to the nose/face. Might be you carried it on hands or infected surface before any symptoms where present. Get them all treated at the same time :)

Thanks Tamsin, that makes more sense. So we humans can pass it on but not ourselves be affected. I re-checked all of them and all but one bunnie is displaying the symptoms so it must be me :(

My vet nearly had a fit when I asked him if he would see all 8 of them during one consult.

Yep, it's not the same a people syphilis :D I didn't think it was that easy to pass on, but buns if buns can spread it from grooming each other so I guess it could go from bun to bun via person if your unlucky. It would be a bit of a coincidence for them to get it from seperate sources.

Might be worth checking how much to have a vet come out and look if you want them all checked over. Sometimes its cheaper than 8 consultation charges anyway.

Tam

Mine got it from the first ever bun I rescue/fostered :roll: They were nowhere near each other but it still managed to transfer. My vet says it's incredibly contagious and all buns should be treated - otherwise because it has a long (up to 12 week?) incubation, you could keep going round in circles with them reinfecting each other.

I've got an appointment for them all to see the vet on thursday morning. He's not able to come out but he said I would only have to pay for the peniciilin bottle, no vat or consult fees. Its quite good of him but he understands the more pets you have the more it costs.
Only Emrys is not displaying symptoms but I'm getting him done anyway becuase his wife is infected. I just can't believe how contagious it is. They are 4 separate couples who never see each other.
Oh well its another chapter to add the great lesson that is rabbits. Not a year goes by where I don't learn something new.

Back