• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

urgent help bleeding

Kipper

Mama Doe
Ive just been cutting my buns claws & made one bleed Ive put flour on it but its still bleeding. what else should I do

If its still bleeding and she's loosing alot of blood you will need to take her to the vet if its not stopping of her own accord.
The vet actually tore a bit of one of my buns nails as she jumped when they were clipping and it only bled a little and stopped but my vet said if it began to bleed again to bring her back. I think they corterise (sp?) it to stop it bleeding. Not sure.
But either way if its not stopped and she loosing blood constantly I'd def pop her to vet.

Have you actually applied pressure to it in order to help the blood clot? They can take an awful long time to stop unaided.

Ive put ordinary flour on it because I dont have any cornflour or styptic (sp?) powder do you think it will have the same effect?

Ive put ordinary flour on it because I dont have any cornflour or styptic (sp?) powder do you think it will have the same effect?

It's probably a little too fine.
Even when using powder you will still need to apply some pressure for a few minutes usually.

ETA- Posted at the same time.

I think its stopped bleeding now. You should see the state of my living room, me & the keyboard. Theres flour everywhere dont think it will every come out of the keyboard :lol: I really panicked & still feel shakey & theres Pumpkin sitting quite happily tucking into carrots & spring greens. I thought a treat would help him forget his ordeal

I think its stopped bleeding now. You should see the state of my living room, me & the keyboard. Theres flour everywhere dont think it will every come out of the keyboard :lol: I really panicked & still feel shakey & theres Pumpkin sitting quite happily tucking into carrots & spring greens. I thought a treat would help him forget his ordeal

Hoover the keyboard with the brush attachment ;)

I'm glad the panic's over, just keep an eye on it to make sure no infection sets in but 99% of the time it will heal without problems.

They bleed so much, you can't help but panic. It's the same be it rabbits, birds or ratties lol

I was just completing an adoption on a rabbit and told them I'd just give her claws a quick trim. I cut too short and she started bleeding. By the time I took her out I had patches of blood all over me and her fur was slightly stained. I felt so guilty, yet she wasn't bothered. Pesky buns!! ;)

Pumkin seems fine now its just me who feels bad. Thanks to everyone who replied you made me feel a lot better. I will keep a look out for any infection thankfully hes indoors & I clean their cage/litter tray 3 times a day so hopefully he should be ok. Ive still got to finish cutting his claws & those of my other 4. Im dreading it now going to have to keep verbally reminding myself that Ive been doing it for years & this is my 1st mishap :(

Back