• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The wet bum mystery??

vicki267

Mama Doe
Stitch had a little urine soaking around his bum a few weeks ago. Then it cleared up and yesterday I noticed him bum was DRENCHED in wee! I cleaned him up, dried him off and brushed his fur. All evening the fur was nice and dry.

Today it is a little wet again. I'm going to clean it up a little more and brush it but I want my mum to come over and calm him whilst I trim back a little fur. He is very well behaved but I dont want to risk doing it on my own.

The wee isnt where I would expect it to be though, it's above and to the sides of his tail, not under it. It's starting to get his inner thigh too. I just dont understand how he is getting himself into such a mess :shock:

Since his op over a month ago I haven't really seen him wash that much (not llike the other two) but he must be as he doesn't smell.

Above the tail seems like an awkward place for them to reach, they obviously can do it but could there be a reason he cant? Also how on earth would he get wee there?

Any tips to keep him clean?

There is no poo about and his wound healed very well.

Vicki

before you panic, does he have any 'tents' or hideaways that are made out of material like a tent?

the reason i ask is we got one of those bunny tents, and peanut peed in it, then layed in it n it drenched him... literally soaked lol

That's what I originally thought a few weeks back as he was peeing on the laminate but that has stopped now.

His cage has newspaper on the bottom of it with a towel/blanket which he does sometimes pee on :? He sits in his "wet" litter tray a lot, I say wet it's just the one he uses for weeing in, the other he eats hay and poops in :roll:

I do put hay in the wee tray but he just pulls it out revealing the megazorb. The megazorb is mostly dry so I guess it couldn't be this?

Other than that, nope cant think of anything, his litter training is so up and down. He is now better out of his cage than in it but it changes on a weekly basis.

Arnie is an Angel with his litter tray, the cleanest bun ever, Kira only ever has a few accidents although she poops most places :roll:

The only one of my bunnies who gets wee on herself is Lexie because she sleeps in the litter tray and it gathers on her tummy, bottom and inside hind legs. However, she is never saturated and any rabbit I have had like that on more than one occasion has warranted a vets trip.

Wetness on the inside legs is usually a key indicator of either incontinence or a common urinary tract infection. A course of Baytril usually clears up UTI's such as Cystitis very rapidly....Panacur is often run alongside this to cover any potential EC infection.

Can these things come and go though?

If it hadn't cleared up a few weeks ago I would of taken him to the vets, however I'm getting the feeling he is very lazy? :?

If he was incontinent or had an infection surely it wouldn't stop for two weeks, I've checked for any urine scalds but it isn't getting down to the skin yet and it has only been back for yesterday and today, will check again tomorrow... But he's dry now :roll:

He had a short course of pancur before he came to me.

Nope, it's completely normal :?

Strange.
If it continues it certainly warrants a vets trip because it isn't normal, but I'm not really sure what else to suggest.

Is he a sprayer? Maybe he could be flicking it on himself? :?

I've never noticed urine sprayed anywhere, he likes kicking puddles of water in my face though, lucky it's not wee :shock:

What's the best way to give bum baths, I've just been wetting a cloth and then drying with a towel, I dont want to keep him soaked.

Is there anything I can do to encourage him to wash there?

one of sazzy's buns had this problem a few months back...wetness above the tail and inner thighs. I could've sworn it was a UTI but it just cleared up on it's own after a few days :shock:

Definitely take him for a vet check if it becomes a consistent problem.

n.b. Dampness above the tail can be caused by the bun reaching around and nibbling at that area if there is an irritation, i.e. mites, fleas, or any other skin condition

Oh thanks, I never thought it could be saliver before, although it does get pretty wet.

I swear he must do all his washing at night, I dont even see himn washing his face anymore :roll:

He seems OK at the moment but I'll check later on this afternoon. I just hope if we go to the vets they can resolve it as I dont really want to pay for a trip and them tell me to give him bum baths when it gets bad :lol:

I would take him to the vets it could be urine scald. My Bailey is suffering from it at the moment it gets worse very quickly x

I would definately take him to the vets. If he isn't washing himself he may be feeling under the weather or be in a bit of pain. We all know how good bunnies are at hiding their problems :D

one of sazzy's buns had this problem a few months back...wetness above the tail and inner thighs. I could've sworn it was a UTI but it just cleared up on it's own after a few days :shock:

Definitely take him for a vet check if it becomes a consistent problem.

n.b. Dampness above the tail can be caused by the bun reaching around and nibbling at that area if there is an irritation, i.e. mites, fleas, or any other skin condition

As amy has said my bunny roger was like this all above his tail and his legs i shaved his back wth some clippers and his skin was dry so i put vasaline on i spoke to my vet and she said if i was really worried to bring him in (my vet was not really worried) this was on a friday or i could leave him till the following week if no better he was better by monday apart from some urine scold so i spoke to her again and people on here and i smothered him in vasaline on his legs were he was a bit sore and that cleared within a matter of days he has been fine since

Well he is completely dry today :shock:

He certainly doesn't seem off at all, and the skin hasn't been affected by the urine yet as any time it gets bad (which has only been twice since 2/3 weeks ago) I've washed him and dried him.

I'm still going to get my mum to hold him whilst I trim his fur so it's easier for him to clean and keep an eye on it and I will take him to the vets if I feel he is feeling ill or it affects the skin at all, however at the moment with it keep disappearing I'm not sure there is a lot they will do except perscribe a full course of panacur for EC.

Mum is due to come over next week to help me with him so we'll give his bum area a nice trim and brush :D

I would suspect EC - this is the first symptom that mine get when they are having an EC episode. Put him on panacur, a full course will do no harm even if it is not the cause. Make sure yo ur vet checks him out though!

Back