• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flea treatments for rabbits?

Rabbiting on

Warren Scout
What is there to use? I use frontline on my cats but i know this cant be used on rabbits. I think they are actually cat fleas :roll: So what can I get?

advantage...
Personally I use stronghold.... the kitten/puppy strength means you need one vial per rabbit. My vet lets me have the large dog pack (two drops per rabbit) and it will do quite a few rabbits per vial :)

So I can use stronghold for dogs? I will of course ask my vets first but im wanting to buy from the inernet so hopefully i dont need a script, or do i?

I thought you had to get something specific to rabbits, but seeing so they will be cat fleas I was unsure.

So I can use stronghold for dogs? I will of course ask my vets first but im wanting to buy from the inernet so hopefully i dont need a script, or do i?

I thought you had to get something specific to rabbits, but seeing so they will be cat fleas I was unsure.

Unfortunatley you do need a prescription for stronghold, but it works out a lot cheaper in the long run providing your vet is willing to let you have it.

I'm not sure if you need a prescription for advantage?

I actually bought mine from my vets, as theyve warned me alot of flea treatments out there you can buy, arent safe for rabbits. I payed about £17.50ish for 4! Personally id recommend you treat all your cats, your rabbits and any other animals youve got with stuff from the vets.
My rabbits had fleas and i ended up having to treat all rabbits, and my 2 cats and having to have the full house sprayed by a pest controller top to bottom

Yes I do treat all of my cats, but this does not mean they wont get the odd flea. I have a cat proofed garden so I know which cat brings them in as only one of them can get out.

This problem has only been since I brought Tinks into the house, I dont know if the other rabbits will have them but they will be done anyway.

I always buy my frontline from vetuk because they are cheeper, just under £17 for 6 where as they are about £19 for 3 at the vets.

So makes sense to get them from there having 5 cats.

Yes I do treat all of my cats, but this does not mean they wont get the odd flea. I have a cat proofed garden so I know which cat brings them in as only one of them can get out.

This problem has only been since I brought Tinks into the house, I dont know if the other rabbits will have them but they will be done anyway.

I always buy my frontline from vetuk because they are cheeper, just under £17 for 6 where as they are about £19 for 3 at the vets.

So makes sense to get them from there having 5 cats.

Thing is if you only treat with frontline you will probably always have fleas circulating at some point. If you have a history of your cats coming in with fleas despite regular frontline it would be worth putting them on a course of programme. Problem is though that it would be expensive having 5 cats :( t's £30 per cat for an injection that will give immunity for 6 months. My sister had a history of a flea problem having three cats that were hunters, her house was full of them. They only way she got rid was by putting them on programme, using frontline as a spot on and treating the house with indorex. It's been two years and she hasn't had a single re-occurance :thumb:

I had an awful problem with my old neighbours cat passing fleas to my rabbits, I treated the buns with advantage and had some guy come and treat the whole house :) The man with his little machine worked out cheaper than buying the sprays from the vets, and if it didn't work he said he would come back two weeks later and do the house again with no charge :)

I use frontline on my cats, but on the buns I use assisi grooming lotion each week on them to prevent fleas :) It honestly worked and it smells lovely :lol: The cat with fleas was still coming into my garden and getting close to the rabbits for about six months after I started using the grooming lotion and I never found another flea on them. The bottle is about £6 I think and lasts months x

Let me clarify- I do not have a flea problem in my house or on the cats. One of my cats can get out of the garden, he hunts so will be going through long grasses and fields, he is bound to come back with the odd flea on him.

I am not about to start changing what I use on my cats, it has worked for me for 6 years.

If he has brought fleas back its obviously gone for the animal that is not protected, the rabbit. I dont see any of my cats scratching just Tinks.

That stuff sounds good Sillyrabbit- where can I get some from?

I have looked through her fur and cant see anything, no fleas or durt. Im starting to think this could be something else, like a change in climate maybe with her recently coming indoors?

Nobody was suggesting that you did :?

I said 'IF' you did. If frontline works for you then that's good. Was just offering suggestions should they be of any use... :)

BTW if your cats were on a programe jab you would not be using frontline also, this would be overdosing them.

Nope, programme kills fleas on contact but it can take 24 hours. You can use frontline as a spot on treatment should you see any actual fleas. Programme is supposed to be good to use as it prevents the fleas from infesting the house. :)

Last edited:
Yes I know frontline is a spot on, I use it.

Personily I would not inject my cats with anything like that. Frontline combo also protects the house. It also kills fleas on contact within 24 hours.

If fleas are noticed early there would not be an infestation. The only time I have had to spray the house was with my first kittens almost 6 years ago.

So really what your trying to say is frontline does the same as the programe jab, although I would not get my cat injected to protect my house.

Let me clarify- I do not have a flea problem in my house or on the cats. One of my cats can get out of the garden, he hunts so will be going through long grasses and fields, he is bound to come back with the odd flea on him.

I am not about to start changing what I use on my cats, it has worked for me for 6 years.

If he has brought fleas back its obviously gone for the animal that is not protected, the rabbit. I dont see any of my cats scratching just Tinks.

That stuff sounds good Sillyrabbit- where can I get some from?

I have looked through her fur and cant see anything, no fleas or durt. Im starting to think this could be something else, like a change in climate maybe with her recently coming indoors?

I wasn't suggesting that there are fleas in your house, was just saying what problems it caused for us when fleas were getting onto my rabbits from other peoples cats

If your rabbits don't already have fleas then there is no need to treat them with a chemical treatment from your vet

You can get the grooming lotion here

http://www.bunnybazaar.com/more/on/details/GROOM

I personally would spray the house every 12 months regardless... on the advice of my vet.

I did not post to cause offence or suggest you had a problem or were in fact incapable of knowing what product you are using, obviously that's how it has been read.

I don't have a problem giving programe to a cat who has a history of hunting as it's in their interest, it's no different to using a regular spot on treatment which is also absorbed into the bloodstream. My vet is very efficient and good at her job, so I completely trust her judgement.

So really what your trying to say is frontline does the same as the programe jab, although I would not get my cat injected to protect my house.

No, a spot on treament will loose effectiveness after a short period and will make it more difficult to get rid of any flea or fleas that manage to get on the cat during that time, and as you know already, you can not re-apply another dose for four weeks.

Like you have said yourself, frontline goes into the bloodstream, this lasts for upto 6 weeks but is recomended its used every 4. Then it can be reapplied. So any flea the bites the cat will die within 24 hours.

It does not loose effectiveness after a short period of time, it lasts for 4 weeks, then once the 4th week is up it can be used again. So in no way the animal is left unprotected.

Just to clarify, you mentioned in your orignal post "you thought they were cat fleas"
As mentioned before and in regards to bun flea treatments- i think many bought in the shop dog and cat flea treaments are regarded as very safe, but my vet did recommend esp for rabbits that you buy the flea drops for them, not a shop as alot of flea treatments out there for buns arent really suitable. I think the one I use from the vets begins with an X.. :lol: Better safe than sorry if you ask me. It was quite good and a tube can be split between 2 small rabbits!
"IF" you did have fleas, it is recommended you treat ALL animals in the house,wether you know the source of infestation or not. My cats had just been done a week previous to my rabbits having them and I had to redo the cats, and do the rabbits with flea treament. ANY decent vet will tell you that. Cat fleas also have a habit of living on rabbits too.

I really dont know where I have wrote Im going to buy some rubbish from the shop, they are NOT safe and also do not work. They have been related to cats deaths, this is the Bob Martin product.

Why would I buy a product from the vets for my cats and not the rabbits?

I do my cats every month and get my frontline from VetUK, so really its the same as getting it from the vets, but at a smaller cost.

95% of fleas on any animal are cat fleas.

Can I ask what flea product you use on your cats.

Back