• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poor pets in garden center!!!

angieb

Mama Doe
I went to our local garden centre today and my little boy insists on looking at the animals and i hate it as i feel so sorry for them and dread to think of their fate!
Anyway the girl was cleaning one of the glass cages out and had the rabbits and guniea pigs in a plastic tub.:shock: The gunieas were huddled in a corner and the baby rabbits were trying to get out. :(
I said to her that your not supposed to put rabbits and gunieas together and stuppidly she answered me that its ok as long as you feed them all rabbit food!!!:shock: I mentioned that the rspca would disagree but she said the enviromental health said it was ok???:roll: (i dont know if this is correct)
I just feel so sorry for them as in one glass cage there were about 8 baby rabbits and the cage was so small.:cry::cry:

You are correct, rabbits and guinea pigs should never be kept together. The girl sounds clueless to me. It might be worth ringing the RSPCA and mentioning what you saw they can follow it up and hopefully the garden centre will change things.
Sallyx

That's is awful, if they sell a rabbit a guinea pig to live together and tell them to feed rabbit food the piggy will surely die! Guinea pig food has extra Vitamin C in it as they can not produce it themselves. Poor piggies :cry:

Yes i was thinking i might ring the rspca and hopefully they will do something. When ringing them do i just ring the local rescue? I have never done it before.......:?

That's is awful, if they sell a rabbit a guinea pig to live together and tell them to feed rabbit food the piggy will surely die! Guinea pig food has extra Vitamin C in it as they can not produce it themselves. Poor piggies :cry:

Yes i know. I tryed to tell her this but all she kept saying is that enviromental health said it was ok.:?

Thats awful :cry: Its the RSPCA National and Cruelty Advice Line you need to ring... the number is 0300 1234 999 :) Hope this helps and hope it gets sorted :(

I bet they sell them together :roll: Saw a woman in the vets when lola went to be speyed the other day and her g.pig had attacked the rabbit and the rabbit was having its eye removed because the g.pig had attacked it so badly :cry: Some people are clueless :( xXx

When I rang the Environmental Health department to complain about under age bunnies for sale in a pet shop in a garden centre, I was told that they carry out checks prior to giving the license to sell and carry out spot checks afterwards.

They also said that the pet shop in question follow the guidelines laid out by the Pet Care Trust... it may be worth having a look through the leaflets here to see if the shop you've visited are breaking any of the guidelines... then I'd contact the local Environmental Health.

http://www.petcare.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=559&Itemid=167

Edited to add that I've checked their leaflets and they are ridiculously basic (not surprised seeing as this Trust is a self-regulating body :roll:). I'd still contact EH though, armed with documents from respected bodies such as the RSPCA which clearly states that these 2 different species should not be kept together.

Last edited:
Back