• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help

Striker

Banned
I have two beautiful rabbits that are in need of a new home. Due to a rabbit having fly strike and the affect it had on my daughter, after seeing the horrific affect. She feels that she can no longer have rabbits, as it traumatised her some what.

The rabbits are in a 6ft by 2ft hutch, with an under run that is 6ft by 4ft. The hutch is only 3 months old. We are in the new forest, near Southamptom

If anyone is interested in them PM me, you can have everything for free. They must go to a loving home.

Many thanks.

You need to PM SOAD and request that she put your Rabbit's details in the 'Rabbits in Need' section of the Forum :)

They are both female one black and one tortoise shell. They are both floppy eared . They are well looked after and will make great pets.. They are two and a half years old.

Last edited:
I guess your bunny got over the fly strike which your daughter must have seen and now must be better so are you just using your daughter as an excuse because you are bored of the poor bunnies:cry::cry::cry::cry:

No the bunny died. We never noticed anything in the morning, fed them in the afternoon and next morning she was ravaged, this was in october. She had to be put down.

I think your comments maizey are uncalled for and hurtful. Please do not second guess me, what i have said is the truth and i came here for help and a loving home for these rabbits. I did not come here for false accusations.

Last edited:
I think I would be really upset if it happened to a bunny of mine, and I couldn't say for sure if i'd be able to keep bunnies after it.

I really understand why your daughter is distressed by it Striker, I would be terrified of finding a bunny like that a second time, once would be well enough :(

Sorry you think my comments are uncalled for and hurtful,there are over 30,000 rabbits in this country looking for new homes.I'm sure if your daughter fell over and cut her knee she would find It upsetting but you would get her over It.I'm sorry If you wanted to you could show her you have two healthy rabbits which are OK.Fly strike Is preventable,ask your vet for rear guard and apply It to your remaining bunnies bottoms and this problem wont happen again.I don't mean to sound nasty I just see this kind of story to many times and Its usually because people have got bunnies and then get bored of them or use any excuse to get rid of them.

Last edited:
awww :(

My friends rabbit got flystrike at her dad when she went on holiday :( she didnt even have time to say goodbye :(

Hope your rabbits get a new hom esoon x

When I was younger, we had rabbits with flystrike. We didn't know about caring for rabbits then. Thankfully she didn't die from it, but it was still awful and I saw it. Didn't stop me from getting anymore rabbits, I just made sure I knew how to care for them correctly. Sorry if your daughter feels the way she does, but in my opinion, unless you are physically unable to care for any animal, you should care for the animal for the rest of its life.

Awww hun :( Your poor daughter :(

Don't listen to the people saying you're wrong for rehoming them. It's in the bunnies best interest. People react to things differently. Some kids wouldn't bat an eye life but It was obviously a very gruesome sight and your daughter would've been so scared :(

I really hope you find a loving home for these 2 x

How old is your daughter ? I could see that it might be distressing to witness the flystrike and the death of the rabbit must have upset her a great deal, but could you not look upon it as a learning experience for her about how to care for the rabbits and prevent the problem again ?

We all know that peoples situations change and sometimes animals need to be rehomed. Atleast the OP is being responsible and going the right way about it.

I also don't think its fair to jump on the OP in thier time of need, whether you believe the reason or not, I know we are all entitled to our own opinion however attacks are not right.

I know for one, that people on here have had to consider rehoming animals in the past, its a hard thing to do but surely if the persons situation changes we should respect that.

I'm sorry your having to rehome the rabbits hopefully someone can help, we all need help sometimes. Good luck x

If this was a popular member would we be judging them ? no!
So why are we?

I hope you rehome the rabbits to a nice home, I am glad you have chosen to keep the rabbits interests at heart :)

Sorry to hear your news, hope that your daughter is ok, and it is good to see that you are using this site to try and rehome your rabbits responsibly and find good homes for them.

One of our rabbits was killed by a fox and I know how much it has affected my son and how difficult it has been for him. Death and grief is very hard on children.

Good luck finding new homes for your little ones.

Oh my.. what a mixed reaction to this one :? I never understand why people get blasted so much for coming here and asking for help. Would it be better if people just stuck them on the free ads or left them at a rescue :roll:

I can understand why you feel you can longer care for these rabbits.. flystrike is horrible isn't it.. such a shame as I'm sure your daughter loved her bun.

I will keep my ear to the ground and see if I can help out.

(I will openly admit that I know the OP and I know he has given his animals the best of care and the rabbit which died of flystrike was VERY well cared for and loved, it suffered from a 'mucky' bum for quite a while and they did they very best to keep it clean and dry. I can understand how distressed the daughter is over all this too and I don't think anyone should judge them for their decision)

Back