• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying? How old

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Lola's wifey needs spaying.
I feel she is very young.

I darent go on the information we was told, so how will we know if she is old enough?

She is going for a checkup Monday! :D

Yeah the vet will have a rough estimate of her age and weigh her etc :) He'll say whether he is willing to spay her :) My Lola was spayed yesterday, i didnt know her actually age but vet put her to be only 16 weeks :( But she was 3.2kg :oops:

Have you weighed her yourself at all? :) xXx

I prefer to leave my own rabbits until they're about 8 months to a year old, unless they're showing signs of hormone related aggression. I don't think there's any medical proof that it's better to leave it until later, but I like to make sure the rabbit has fully matured.

Yeah the vet will have a rough estimate of her age and weigh her etc :) He'll say whether he is willing to spay her :) My Lola was spayed yesterday, i didnt know her actually age but vet put her to be only 16 weeks :( But she was 3.2kg :oops:

Have you weighed her yourself at all? :) xXx

No we havent got any scales.
Thats why i want to take her to Vets :)

Our vets will spay girls when they weigh a kg. If she's on the thin side though I would wait, even if she is a kg, as being fit and well gives them the best chance possible for coming through the GA and making a quick recovery. :)

Our vets will spay girls when they weigh a kg. If she's on the thin side though I would wait, even if she is a kg, as being fit and well gives them the best chance possible for coming through the GA and making a quick recovery. :)

Thanks Chloe :)

So far I have always waited until mine are 6 months plus unless there are exceptional circumstances.

And likewise I've heard that leaving it later than a year makes the op a little more complicated (due to the uterus wall or something?), so best to leave it between 6 months and 1 year IMHO. :)

AMETHYST

And likewise I've heard that leaving it later than a year makes the op a little more complicated (due to the uterus wall or something?), so best to leave it between 6 months and 1 year IMHO. :)

AMETHYST

someone told me that it was best for a rabbit to become mum between 6 month to a year because if they are older the hip bone is set and they have trouble giving birth? I was also told that it is best for a sprey just over the year mark, due to complications (can't remember the reason given though).

AMETHYST

I think you might mean that older rabbits tend to have a layer of fat which can make the operation more difficult? I think this only really matters if the rabbit is overweight or 3+ years old

Back