• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worms

hiya all, sorry if this a silly question but im a bit confused.

If a bun gets worms does this lead to E.C or are they separate illnesses?.
Thankyou.
x

:wave:Thankyou all for getting back to me:).

I had really got myself confused:oops:.

Can anybody tell me what happens when they get worms?.
x

Often you can't tell if they've got worms. Although if they've got a heavy worm burden you might see live or dead worms in their poops. Pin worms are white and about half a cm long, live worms will visibly be wriggling around. Symptoms can also include runny poops and belly ache.

Often you can't tell if they've got worms. Although if they've got a heavy worm burden you might see live or dead worms in their poops. Pin worms are white and about half a cm long, live worms will visibly be wriggling around. Symptoms can also include runny poops and belly ache.

:wave: thankyou. The worms were dead and looked like the worm kids/youngsters get?. What do you need to treat it, and could it be passed on to another bun?
x

Yeah, they do look like the round worms that humans get.

You need a tube of rabbit panacur (available from vets, on-line pharmacies or large petshops such as Pets at Home).

Any other rabbits which share the same living/exercise area, or have grazed on the same lawn, will probably have worms too.

Yeah, they do look like the round worms that humans get.

You need a tube of rabbit panacur (available from vets, on-line pharmacies or large petshops such as Pets at Home).

Any other rabbits which share the same living/exercise area, or have grazed on the same lawn, will probably have worms too.

Thankyou i can stop worrying:). How long should the treatment for worm be continued?. If they have never come into contact with each other, one is being treated for worm, should the other one be treated as a precaution?.
x

Traditionally about 5 days I think, but I reckon you might be best to use a whole tube (9 days worth) for each bun...that way you're protecting against EC too.

Back