• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Patch - Headtilt :( VIDEO and PICTURES added

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Afternoon all,
Hayley's wonderful Boyfriend here (Sy), She asked me to post this in the hope there were a few replys for when she arrived home from work.

Hayley went to feed the rabbits as normal before work this morning but as she went to feed patch and spot she noticed Patch's head was tilted. Obviously quite panic'd she phoned the vet followed by me.

I got away from work to take him along.
The vet checked for ear mite's - None
Tempreture - Fine
Heart - Fine
Eye response to light - Not that good

His balance whilst hopin' (in circles) was a little shaky but she put that down to him not being used to it.

He went away with an injection to take away any inflamation (Which he showned no sign of having) some Baytral and some Panacur for him and Patch.

He's to go back on Monday, Although if he gets worse we've to take him in.

Question is, whats next? Whats the likely outcome of this?

Thanks, Sy

Last edited:
firslty in case its ec do a 28day course for both buns of the pannaucr. secondly if its an inner ear infection the antibiotics should help if oyu think bun is in pain then metacam woudl be a benifit talk to tomshighway about kermit he had head tilt adn is fine tho will always have a slight tilt now other buns can get ec much worse it dependss on how early its caught i would pm jacks jane for advice and hugos there too x edit you would get more answers if you put this in rabbit chat maybe mods could move it?

My boy Kermit has head tilt, he first got it over 6 months ago, but it was a very bad case to begin with, he couldn’t stand or walk, he couldn’t eat or drink by himself and his head was really tilted, as in over 90degrees, with his ears pointing down. When I took him to the first vet, she said to get him PTS.

Your bun seems better than this at the moment. The treatment of panacur and baytril is exactly what Kermit had; he had 6 weeks of both, along with some anti-inflammatory injections. I would suggest that the 6weeks of panacur is defiantely needed for Patch and 9days for spot (as long as spot isn’t showing any symptoms, otherwise he will need 6weeks also)

Basically you just have to keep an eye on your bun, make sure he is eating and drinking. If he starts to roll, take out anything from the cage he could hurt himself on, or pad it up with rolled up towels or blankets.

Is he an indoor bun?

My boy still has head tilt, but he copes with it fine, after a long struggle though, he is a wee fighter!!

If you have any further questions, please ask, ive dealt with so much through this head tilt, and this forum helped me out, so im happy to help you out in any way possible.

Its Hayley now.

I am SOO worried, i couldnt believe it, he was fine last night and this morning i just opened his head and he looked at me :( i felt awful, all the rabbits got a course of panacur a couple of months ago (just incase anyone is wondering if i have done it). Patch seems ok, hops a bit wonky and is a LOT slower than normal but seems ok. The vet said if i have the room to seperate Spot and Patch while i treat them in-case Spot does get it, i dont really want to do this though as they are the most loved up couple ever and im worried if i seperate them they will get lonely etc and make things worse.
They are both outdoor bunnies and have a shed/run.
I just feel useless, dont know if their is anything else i can do for him? Im scared when i go out to him hes a lot worse:(.

Thanks for the help, i will post pictures and a video for people to see xx

My Hazel-Rah has head tilt, he's a few weeks into treatment (panacur) and he's doing great.

When i first noticed his head was slightly tilted and when i put him down he wouldn't move. I took him to the vets, they checked for an ear infection and such and said it was caused by EC. The next day he was walking but in circles. He got slightly worse, then started picking up. He is now being kept on panacur and seeing the vet every two weeks for check ups. He is improving alot, hes still tilted but the vet hopes that will improve with time.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156010

This is Hazel after a few days.. He's alot better now.. I'll get pics tomorrow
Astuff021.jpg

Hope your Patch will be ok, sending vibes :):wave:

Last edited:
My Hazel-Rah has head tilt, he's a few weeks into treatment (panacur) and he's doing great.

When i first noticed his head was slightly tilted and when i put him down he wouldn't move. I took him to the vets, they checked for an ear infection and such and said it was caused by EC. The next day he was walking but in circles. He got slightly worse, then started picking up. He is now being kept on panacur and seeing the vet every two weeks for check ups. He is improving alot, hes still tilted but the vet hopes that will improve with time.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=156010

This is Hazel after a few days.. He's alot better now.. I'll get pics tomorrow
Astuff021.jpg

Hope your Patch will be ok, sending vibes :):wave:

Thank you, im glad Hazel is doing fine. Hope he continues to improve.
Its so horrible and just such a shock to see him like this :( hes just not the same Patch. poor boy:( i just dont know very much about this condition, ive heard of it many times and seen a couple of cases but still very clueless :( xx

Here is a video and couple of pictures :( i cant believe this happened over night!!

100_1814.jpg

100_1815.jpg

:cry:

Last edited:
:wave: I know it hurts to see him like that, i was in tears seeing my Hazel but he could have been alot worse! Patch looks alright :) Don't worry too much. Hazel was just like that, its taken a few weeks but he really does look alot better. If you see what tomhighway's Kermit looked like when he first got ill you will see what it could have been like.

Healing Vibes to Patch and Kermit :wave::)

:wave: I know it hurts to see him like that, i was in tears seeing my Hazel but he could have been alot worse! Patch looks alright :) Don't worry too much. Hazel was just like that, its taken a few weeks but he really does look alot better. If you see what tomhighway's Kermit looked like when he first got ill you will see what it could have been like.

Healing Vibes to Patch and Kermit :wave::)

Thank you :).. just hope he gets better soon, all the replys on here have given me some hope and have been possitive, which helps a lot :)

Would anyone recomend i do split Spot and Patch up or am i ok to keep them together? xx

Has he had an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) ?

It is inflammation that causes the symptoms of headtilt due to either EC or Otitis Media.
I hope he will have a good responce to treatment :)

Has he had an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) ?

It is inflammation that causes the symptoms of headtilt due to either EC or Otitis Media.
I hope he will have a good responce to treatment :)

He got an injection this morning which was anti inflammatory. I never got anything home only baytril and panacur, do i need to give him metacam and everyday?

Thanks Jane x

I wouldn't recommend splitting them as it will just make him pine and if he is coping well then thats a good sign :)

Did the vet give anything incase of inner ear infection? Also, can you give Patch some travel sickness tabs to help him - even though he can't be sick he will still feel it :(

It could be any number of things but looking at him I would think inner ear infection - you have done right to panacur him but how long ago was this? I would start with the panacur again and give him a six week course.

Poor boy, I know it's heartbreaking to watch but they are far more able than us to accept things :) He will cope and hopefully he will be better again soon :)

Give him a snuggle from me - he's a lovely boy :)

Thanks Jay,
Hes on panacur and baytril every day, panacur once a day for 6weeks and baytril twice a day. I noticed today he has a few mites on him but vet advised not to give him anymore medication just yet until we see how he is. What travel sickness stuff would i give :?. I just really hate seeing him like this, hes not the loving, friendly, happy little boy he normally is, hes very slow and normally hard to catch but he just letting me pick him up :(. I think Spot is a wee bit confused too....

:( xx

Sending you [ hugs], i'm currently treating Digger with Panacur and Baydril. It's such a shock when it happens to your bun. I've kept mine together. I have been syringe feeding Digs with extra water after his meds.

Hi there,
Although its terrible that your we bun has this, he doesnt look as bad as it could! Hopefully you have caught this early enough and he will get better, loads of buns get their head straight after time.

This was my wee boy a couple of weeks after his tilt, he wasnt out the bottom of his cage for weeks.....its a bit dark, but you can see how bad his head was, and you can see his balance at the end when he is trying to clean...honestly it took him ages to get to be able to run about like your bun!

http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011095.flv

This next video is after about 6 weeks, he got very skinny, he was a bag of bones....maybe you should get pro-biotics from your vet, as i found these help kermit to get the weight back on and they help buns tummies when they are on anti-biotics.

http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011145.flv

Sending you loads of healing vibes for your baby, hope he gets better.

Thanks everyone,
Tomhighway, poor wee kermit :(.. glad he is starting to improve that must be hard for you.

Patch is eating/drinking/cleaning himself and he seems to be hopping ok, he looks a bit more active than he was. Its just such a shock to see him like this, such ashame :(. Must be awful being fine at night and by the morning having a squint head :(.

Thanks for all the replys and possitiveness, its greatly appreciated
xx

It is terrible, takes the buns a wee while to get used to it, but they are versatile wee guys and seem to cope well.

Im totally used to him having his squinty head now...at times when he is running or sitting up he puts his head dead straight and i have hope that maybe one day he will get his head right straight again.

Straight head vibes for your wee man, and dont hesitate to ask anything that pops up.

Back