• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nipping 2 week after initial bond? Bad thing?

AnnaDelie

Mama Doe
Hiya,

Kiki and Hiro were bonded nearly two weeks ago, aloooot of nipping and fur pulling on the first couple of days. Kiki doesn't hang about for long and races away from him after his attempts to mount her. Kiki is very very friendly and excitable, jumps around everywhere, seems to say "Hai, Hai" whenever I approach whereas Hiro's very reserved and a bit of a scardy-bun, doesn't like being touched much and freaks out occasionally.

Anyway, After I thought it calmed down since 2 weeks ago, he's still nipping her occasionally, I went in there now and he still does it, Del's seen it too, maybe she gets on his nerves? I dunno, but I am kinda feeling sorry for Kiki and don't know what to do. I don't want any more buns for now but I really want them to be happy and it doesn't seem to be working.

I just really don't like to see Kiki being nipped so often so that she runs away from him :(

Is Hiro the dominanat bun? Do they sit next to each other, groom etc at other times though? Alfie nipped Bubbles quite a lot at first and it took a while to die down; it seemed to be that he wanted to give Bubbles the occasional reminder that he was the boss.

Even now, he still nips her every so often but she just moves away from him and the next minute they're all snuggled up again.

Is Hiro the dominanat bun? Do they sit next to each other, groom etc at other times though? Alfie nipped Bubbles quite a lot at first and it took a while to die down; it seemed to be that he wanted to give Bubbles the occasional reminder that he was the boss.

Even now, he still nips her every so often but she just moves away from him and the next minute they're all snuggled up again.

Im experiencing this at the minute.

I wouldn't worry Anna, it seems a shame to seperate if there isn't fighting x

My 3 seem up and down. One minute there all fine and the next there chasing and simba is bum nipping, they must been fur pulling other day as found a few clumps but there not actualy fighting so im leaving them.

Thanks all - yes Hiro is the dominant one, occassionally there is nipping, but alot of the time they do sit near each other with the odd groom from one or the other. I've just been feeling sorry for her but I will stick to it :D just hope they'll be OK :)

How much space do they have or have you increased it recently? It sounds to me as if they're not quite 100% bonded yet and she is still feeling the need to assert her dominance in some way. Can you restrict their space again for a few more days (so they don't have the option of getting away from each other too much) to see if that calms it down?

How much space do they have or have you increased it recently? It sounds to me as if they're not quite 100% bonded yet and she is still feeling the need to assert her dominance in some way. Can you restrict their space again for a few more days (so they don't have the option of getting away from each other too much) to see if that calms it down?

Thanks for your advice.
It's a bit difficult as they're in a indoor cage at the mo, but I am hoping to get them in their hutch and run (after a through clean with vinegar) this weekend, which may help. I think Hiro is more of an outdoorsy bun and doesn't seem happy inside. This may help. If it carries on I will have to make a smaller space x

Thanks for your advice.
It's a bit difficult as they're in a indoor cage at the mo, but I am hoping to get them in their hutch and run (after a through clean with vinegar) this weekend, which may help. I think Hiro is more of an outdoorsy bun and doesn't seem happy inside. This may help. If it carries on I will have to make a smaller space x

this happened with Yeeha and Blue, my uncle and hiw wifes bunnies, but she couldnt wait another week bcus she was too busy with the kids so i askd her to just keep an eye out, funnily enough as soon as they got outside back into hutches and their run they were fine?!

seems a bit odd, i couldnt work it out lol, but yeeha nor blue had ever been inside and they were happier out

it took 5 months for my two to eventualy to settle down she still has her moments but hes tolorant of her, so he dont mind

Back